Author Topic: Whats the haps?

natros

• "We'll probably use algebra like mad today."
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the haps?
« Reply #19080 on: April 20, 2017, 05:31:30 PM »
Minivans certainly have a “soccer dad” stigma. …One with which I will never be associated. I recognize their potential awesomeness for road trips, but I’d still never buy one. I’d sooner have a station wagon (grew up with awesome 80s wagons being driven by my dad), or hatchback, even though they don’t have as much cargo space. I personally tend to travel light, anyway.

I am proud that my Mazda’s beautiful blue color stands out in a vast sea of boring shades. I will never buy a shaded car, ...if I can help it.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19081 on: April 20, 2017, 05:47:48 PM »
I would say that the minivan's stigma stems directly from its practicality.  They are vehicles intended first and foremost for hauling around lots of people.  Not for hauling and cool, manly stuff.  That's what trucks are for.  And who actually needs to haul around a lot of people on a regular basis?  Families.  Thus the minivan is very much a family vehicle.

Also, they are fairly large vehicles and as such they're not cheap and don't get great fuel economy.  At the same time they're not exactly fun to drive the way a sports car is.  Most people wouldn't buy one unless they really needed it.

dalucifer0

• 시발놈
    • View Profile
« Reply #19082 on: April 20, 2017, 08:07:22 PM »
Today I learned the lesson of adding coworkers as friends on Facebook. Had to remove most of them tonight.

glassjawsh

• Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
    • my backloggery
« Reply #19083 on: April 20, 2017, 10:56:44 PM »
My oldest rabbit is not well, and though she cheats death on a yearly basis, the odds of her keeping that pattern going are ever decreasing. She's 9.5 years old. It has to end sometime. And I know that. That's why I plan on not taking her to the vet unless it's obvious she won't be able to die a peaceful death at home. However, considering her habit I'm never sure if I'm doing enough for her. What if her natural lifespan is actually like 11 or 12 years and I'm cheating her out of a longer and still happy life?

And when I think too much about that, I start hating myself because she's 'just' a rabbit. Every day on the news, I see starving people who would have loved to have her for dinner.

I empathize with how you feel Tomara.  My cat is starting to get old (he is 12) and it's beginning to hit me that he won't be around for much longer.  When I first moved to Lafayette and then Indianapolis he was literally the only living creature that I had any sort of real connection with at all.  With the Indianapolis move especially (it followed a particularly horrible break up) I have no idea how I would have coped with being completely alone without him.  Sometimes people and their animals end up developing a sort of weird bond that's hard to find between 2 human beings, let alone creatures of a different species.  So I think it's completely normal to worry/mourn in a way that's both profound and special when it's their time to go. I really do hope your rabbit pulls through and sticks around for years to come.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 11:01:54 PM by glassjawsh »

natros

• "We'll probably use algebra like mad today."
    • View Profile
« Reply #19084 on: April 21, 2017, 10:53:45 AM »
Today I learned the lesson of adding coworkers as friends on Facebook. Had to remove most of them tonight.

I've learned over the years that establishing a clear line between personal and professional lives greatly reduces confusion; drama; general bullshit; and potential awkwardness. Then again, that could all just be my case. Ah, well...

dalucifer0

• 시발놈
    • View Profile
« Reply #19085 on: April 21, 2017, 11:31:38 AM »

I've learned over the years that establishing a clear line between personal and professional lives greatly reduces confusion; drama; general bullshit; and potential awkwardness. Then again, that could all just be my case. Ah, well...

I had someone from another office rat me out about driving to work to that office after taking Ambien. Granted, that office is bigger, and HR specifically demanded that I be at that office, which is over an hour drive away (compared to a short walk from my normal office) on days where I'm not assigned any work. (In tax, we usually work from project to project.) So, I did what I had to do to make it to the office on time after getting enough sleep and I get yelled at it about it.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19086 on: April 21, 2017, 01:26:57 PM »

Nah, i feel the exact same way.
Current RPG - Final Fantasy XV, Wild ARMs XF

Dincrest

• Analogy spouting
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Lanterne Rouge
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #19087 on: April 21, 2017, 01:30:29 PM »
I made the choice to disconnect from Facebook back in December and life without it is much nicer. 
"Are we gonna do anything fun?  Or are you just gonna stand there with your thumb up your butt?"  -an outtake from Kyleen Nelphe (Thousand Arms)

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #19088 on: April 21, 2017, 03:18:58 PM »

I empathize with how you feel Tomara.  My cat is starting to get old (he is 12) and it's beginning to hit me that he won't be around for much longer.  When I first moved to Lafayette and then Indianapolis he was literally the only living creature that I had any sort of real connection with at all.  With the Indianapolis move especially (it followed a particularly horrible break up) I have no idea how I would have coped with being completely alone without him.  Sometimes people and their animals end up developing a sort of weird bond that's hard to find between 2 human beings, let alone creatures of a different species.  So I think it's completely normal to worry/mourn in a way that's both profound and special when it's their time to go. I really do hope your rabbit pulls through and sticks around for years to come.

Thanks. Most people don't really get why I care so much about Senka, but she's been this quiet constant for the past 8 years. She's not exactly cuddly like most people want their pets to be, but there are other ways to interact with her and she's fun to watch. She's also really close with my other rabbit. He's probably going to be hit the hardest when Sen's gone. When Sen lost her partner, she got all quiet and it took months for her to warm up to Bun. And when she's gone I'll adopt a new rabbit eventually, but the whole dynamic will change depending on its personality and the way it interacts with Bun and me.

Is your cat still healthy? Even at that age, as long as they're healthy, they might have up to another decade left in them. Or two, if you have a Scooter on your hands :)

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19089 on: April 25, 2017, 12:00:51 AM »
Anyone try to e-file their taxes and have it fail because the adjusted gross income from the previous year didn't match, even though you gave the right amount..?

--

Oh god NOW it went through. Hopefully they have a record that it was originally transmitted on the 4th and I don't get charged a late fee for this.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 12:09:15 AM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest

• Analogy spouting
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Lanterne Rouge
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #19090 on: Yesterday at 07:14:07 PM »
Anyone here keeping up with the NFL draft?  Yo, what were the Chicago Bears thinking?!?!?!  They gave up FOUR draft picks to the 49ers to get their #2 spot and for what?  Trubisky?  I get that he's the best quarterback in the draft, but he's inconsistent and I don't see him doing that well in the pros.  At best, he'll probably be on the level of Ryan Tannehill and at worst he'll be comparable to Blake Bortles. 

Plus, the Bears just signed QB Mike Glennon to a 45 million dollar contract.  WHY?!?!?!  They release Jay Cutler (who's admittedly been pretty trash lately) and get Glennon who's also equally trash.  That's like trading a rock for a stone.

Thanks to their generosity, San Fransicso now has a bunch of picks and are using them to select some really good set pieces for their team. 

I pity you Chicago fans, because da Bears done did goofed.  Who trades four nickels for a penny?  Talk about stupidly putting all your eggs in one (rickety) basket...

EDIT: I'm looking forward to the NBA draft later this year, especially since I was so gung-ho about March Madness this year.  March is usually the month that never ends, but this year it was really fun, thanks to March Madness.  I wonder which NBA team will pick up Sindarius Thornwell (Univ. South Carolina) because he was an absolutely electrifying player during March Madness.  Definitely a personal favorite. 
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:48:24 PM by Dincrest »
"Are we gonna do anything fun?  Or are you just gonna stand there with your thumb up your butt?"  -an outtake from Kyleen Nelphe (Thousand Arms)