Author Topic: Whats the haps?

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the haps?
« Reply #18900 on: February 24, 2017, 10:04:40 PM »
It's crazy to think that the stuff we give complicated monikers like "organic/clean/biodynamic food" was, way back in the day, simply just "food."
I had to look up "biodynamic".  Apparently, biodynamic agriculture was invented in 1924, and includes such practices as putting chopped oak bark in an animal skull, and burying it to unleash cosmic forces.
Interesting stuff, but I don't think I'll be applying it in the garden this spring.  The local eldritch monstrosity might misinterpret my intentions.  And I'm fresh out of skulls, anyway.

As far as I can tell, the term "organic food" doesn't mean much, anyway.  Certified organic farmers can still use pesticides, they're just somewhat restricted in which chemicals they're allowed to use, and the chemicals they do use can still be plenty toxic.  I grow my own vegetables in the summer, and eat local produce when it's handy, but I consider "organic" to be little more than a marketing term.

I'm pretty sure my ancestors (who probably lived through the winter on potatoes, sausage, and sauerkraut) would have been ecstatic to have access to the same variety of food I can get at the local grocery store, whether it was labelled organic, or otherwise.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18901 on: February 24, 2017, 10:22:34 PM »
In other news, hit 2 new PRs for squats today. A recorded 385lb 1 rep and an unrecorded (therefore bullshit) 405lb for 1 as well. Pretty stoked, since in a matter of months my high end squat is up almost 100 pounds. I just need to get better at supporting myself, may finally cave and buy a lifting belt just for that.

TASTY!

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #18902 on: February 24, 2017, 10:51:47 PM »
tbh most of the people who think organic food isn't just spending a lot of extra money are just neoluddites imo

also D i regressed like 10 pounds in my lifts because ive been lazy, does that count as progress

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #18903 on: February 24, 2017, 11:02:45 PM »
I think there's something to be said about eating certified organic if you can afford it. Yeah, it isn't totally necessary, but it is definitely healthier. What I hate is when I see something like the other day when a mother and daughter came in to the store and the daughter wanted candy, but the mother kept turning down anything that had Red 20 or some other very specific dye, and I could just think: 'lady, that shit is out there. Let your kid eat whatever she wants right now so she doesn't fucking die when she eats that stuff as an immune-deficient adult.'

Seriously, I wish more parents would take the old saying 'what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger' to heart.
My Blog - It's about gaming stuff. You can read it if you want. No pressure. I mean, there's a link there you just have to click on, but... y'know... whatever.
Current Post: Grand Re-re-r-e-re-opening!

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18904 on: Yesterday at 12:58:40 AM »
I think there's something to be said about eating certified organic if you can afford it. Yeah, it isn't totally necessary, but it is definitely healthier.

Eh, I'm not sure I even believe that.

Mind you there is a lot of incredibly unhealthy processed food out there.  But that's a completely different issue.  If you're strictly talking about, say, organic produce vs. the same produce without the 'organic' label then no, I have not seen any evidence that the organic stuff is actually healthier.  In fact in some cases the organic produce is actually more likely to contain things like e. coli.  Which is perfectly 'natural', mind you.  Nature isn't always friendly.

Dincrest

• Analogy spouting
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Lanterne Rouge
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #18905 on: Yesterday at 09:07:38 AM »
@ironmage - Whoa, I had no idea about biodynamics being that kind of a thing.  I just thought it was another one of those trendy bumper sticker buzzword these days. 

@Klutz64 - That phenomenon you describe is also quite common among parents with autistic children.  See, there is this old wives tale that eliminating gluten from an autistic child's diet will somehow catalyze the child's brain chemistry to "fix" or at least "stave off" the autism.  I totally get that parents at their wits' end with special-needs children will do everything in their power to help their kid, but I feel like unless the kid has Celiac's Disease, putting them on a gluten-free diet is psychologically damaging in the long run.  Autistic children are already rejected by neurotypical peers enough as it is and stand out like sore thumbs, so on the rare occasion they get invited to a neurotypical peer's birthday party why deny them the opportunity to eat pizza and birthday cake at the party, and with it the opportunity to be included with the other kids in something?  I get that autoimmune diseases like Celiac's are no joke and people with those conditions have to eat gluten free or they could potentially be hospitalized.  But if the autistic kid doesn't have autoimmune disease, let them enjoy some pizza and cake at a peer's birthday party. 
Games I've given Editor's Choice to:
Ever 17, Hourglass of Summer, Anachronox, Persona PSP, Radiant Historia, To The Moon, Revolution 60

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #18906 on: Yesterday at 09:50:29 AM »
@ironmage - Whoa, I had no idea about biodynamics being that kind of a thing.  I just thought it was another one of those trendy bumper sticker buzzword these days. 

@Klutz64 - That phenomenon you describe is also quite common among parents with autistic children.  See, there is this old wives tale that eliminating gluten from an autistic child's diet will somehow catalyze the child's brain chemistry to "fix" or at least "stave off" the autism. 

Wow, that has certainly evolved over time! The last time I read up on it (close to a decade ago?), parents and even people with autism were already into trying all sorts of diets because, at the time, it was already known digestive problems were common in people with autism. However, nobody knew/knows what causes that. It could be stress screwing things up, but I saw people try all sorts of diets to see if it made things better. This was before the gluten-free craze and it's sad to hear it's gotten to the point where some parents are forcing such strict and  pointless diets on their kids.

Dincrest

• Analogy spouting
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Lanterne Rouge
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #18907 on: Yesterday at 03:01:23 PM »
I thought part of why digestive issues were more common in autistic people is that they're generally rather picky eaters owing to the nature of autism itself.  And picky eating means a lack of exposure to new foods, which could lead to digestive issues since their bodies aren't used to them. 
Ever 17, Hourglass of Summer, Anachronox, Persona PSP, Radiant Historia, To The Moon, Revolution 60

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18908 on: Yesterday at 05:13:34 PM »
I'm semi picky about my food. I don't like many vegetables and I hate cream and white sauces. Does this mean I have autism?

I shouldn't joke about that, my cousin has pretty bad autism, barely can speak a few words at a time and ignore almost everything around him...and he's like 20 now.

TASTY!

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #18909 on: Yesterday at 05:26:29 PM »
There are more people on the spectrum than we'd think, and they probably don't know it either.

Not full-blown autism of course, but things like Asperger's.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #18910 on: Yesterday at 05:31:18 PM »
Since we are on the topic, I figure that now is as good of a time as any to mention that I strongly suspect that I am on the spectrum (highly functioning side of the spectrum, but still on it). I just have enough "tics" and repetitive behaviors that it seems very likely that I would be diagnosed with it if I were growing up currently (I don't think autism awareness was as great back in the early 90s as it is now).

Then again, I don't think it has had any major negative impacts on me so maybe I'm just outside the diagnosis criteria? I don't really know how the whole diagnosis thing works since I never was diagnosed with it. *shrug*

Dincrest

• Analogy spouting
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Lanterne Rouge
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #18911 on: Yesterday at 06:05:11 PM »
Remember kids, correlation doesn't imply causation. 

Yes, there is a strong correlation between autism and food pickiness, yet there are picky eaters who aren't on the spectrum and people on the spectrum who aren't picky about food at all.  But, yes, those on the spectrum who exhibit desires for set routines and "sameness" would probably tend to be the most picky about what they eat.  This observation is purely anecdotal from what I've seen at work. 

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #18912 on: Yesterday at 06:10:16 PM »
Remember kids, correlation doesn't imply causation. 

Yes, there is a strong correlation between autism and food pickiness, yet there are picky eaters who aren't on the spectrum and people on the spectrum who aren't picky about food at all.  But, yes, those on the spectrum who exhibit desires for set routines and "sameness" would probably tend to be the most picky about what they eat.  This observation is purely anecdotal from what I've seen at work.
....have I mentioned that I have had grilled chicken (prepared basically the same way) for dinner almost every day (probably 80-90% of the days) for the past 7 or so years? XP

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #18913 on: Yesterday at 06:56:07 PM »
Since we are on the topic, I figure that now is as good of a time as any to mention that I strongly suspect that I am on the spectrum (highly functioning side of the spectrum, but still on it). I just have enough "tics" and repetitive behaviors that it seems very likely that I would be diagnosed with it if I were growing up currently (I don't think autism awareness was as great back in the early 90s as it is now).

Then again, I don't think it has had any major negative impacts on me so maybe I'm just outside the diagnosis criteria? I don't really know how the whole diagnosis thing works since I never was diagnosed with it. *shrug*

Don't forget, just as there is an autistic specturm, there is also a obsessive-compulsive spectrum as well, though not as clearly defined.

Mental disorders in general are an odd nut to crack because there is not really a definitive "normal" mental condition to compare traits to.
My Blog - It's about gaming stuff. You can read it if you want. No pressure. I mean, there's a link there you just have to click on, but... y'know... whatever.
Current Post: Grand Re-re-r-e-re-opening!

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #18914 on: Yesterday at 07:39:38 PM »
Don't forget, just as there is an autistic specturm, there is also a obsessive-compulsive spectrum as well, though not as clearly defined.

Mental disorders in general are an odd nut to crack because there is not really a definitive "normal" mental condition to compare traits to.
Just read the Wikipedia article on obsessive-compulsive disorder...can not say any of those symptoms sounds even remotely familiar. So unless Wikipedia is horribly horribly off, I feel confident that I'm not on that spectrum in the slightest. For comparison, I have basically everything on the Asperger syndrome page.