Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 27, 2014, 05:00:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329705 Posts in 13515 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies comes Stateside in July.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies comes Stateside in July.  (Read 3618 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: May 19, 2010, 03:10:18 PM »

With new box art and Nintendo as the publisher.
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 04:09:51 PM »

I want this game so bad. Now please, Nintendo/Square-Enix: bring DQVI and I will be in gaming paradise.

Btw, box art is alright, except for the new logo. I want the sword and the fruit back. :(
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 05:07:12 PM »

I hate that boxart mostly for replacing a piece of artwork made specifically for a cover with a photoshop collage. Disregarding that factor it's fine, but when the Japanese cover doesn't come off as lazy itself I'd at least like a similar effort made for the US cover, much like with Fragile.

Anyways! I'm definitely pre-ordering this after I get Super Mario Galaxy 2 so I can blow the $20 credit on it.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 07:56:03 PM »

. . .much like with Fragile

XSEED did this with Half-Minute Hero, too, and it ended up looking much better than the original cover. I'm also fond of the way the new Ys 7 cover looks, but I know not everyone does. I wish more companies would put the extra effort into making an interesting new cover.

That said, I'm surprised this is being released so early!  I was expecting it around November, not that I'm complaining.
Stealth20k
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 08:26:01 PM »

I want dragon quest vi and ff gaiden way way more
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 09:07:16 PM »

No need to pick favorites here, I want to get them all! Actually, I want to see how people respond to FF Gaiden first, maybe they'll iron out some of the issues in localization.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 09:45:38 PM »

I wanted DQ6 except it looks worse than the original, somehow, and they took out catchable monsters. Also I don't really like the DQ games as much as I used to two years ago. Because my brain reset and I stopped liking JRPGs apparently.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 11:49:32 AM »

Sentinels of the starry skies?

Sounds a bit self-parodying.  But maybe I'm just getting cynical.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 07:04:32 PM »

I like it. The original box art was too busy in my opinion. They didn't have to get rid of the fruit though.

That said, I'm still curious as to how they are going to handle the lack of social interaction between fellow DQIX players.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 07:25:31 PM »

Heck yes! I haven't bought many games lately, but this is a day one purchase for me.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 08:58:41 AM »

Is it just me, or does the busty knight lady have a manly bulge in her bikini bottom? 

http://www.rpgfan.com/pics/dq9/box-usfront.jpg

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 10:06:28 AM »

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q2-2010/051910b.html

Well that answers my question. ):

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
fates

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 12:11:53 PM »

The girl in the front looks like Debora from DQ5. WARRIOR DEBORA.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 02:02:30 PM »

This will be the last chance I give to a Dragon Quest game. I did beat 8 and V I liked quite a lot, but still there are some gameplay elements that piss me off way too much. Too much to make me bear the good parts.

By what I've seen of it, since there are not random battles, this aspect at least is more bearable. I swear, in past games, the 5 seconds walk and battle were killing me.
Other thing is like many times we have no clue of what to do or where to go. Something as simple as a journal or a hint from townsfolks would help.
Cryptic paths and item to obtain. (Anyone remembers in DQVIII when you need a sphere to enter a cave while searching Dhoulmagus, but for it to work you needed it to be lit, but to lit it you needed to go to the other side of the map, random fight a blue dragon, wait for it to use one certain attack, and use the sphere as an item just the time he attacked ?

This pretty much pissed me of so much that any Dragon Quest I play there's a time I need a FAQ. If they ask you to have these "paranormal guessing powers, ESP or whatever" in side missions, I'll say it's Ok, but during the main quest ? That's too much to ask of my patience.

So far it looks good and even though I liked V more than 8, there were still times I simply couldn't stand it. I'll pick up this game with no expectations whatsoever so I have no chance of being disappointed.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 03:21:17 PM »

Playing DQVIII feel like work sometimes, no doubt about it. But if my work is to have some epic journey like the one in that game, I can't complain.

Just like Final Fantasy IX, I love Dragon Quest VIII with all his faults.

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q2-2010/051910b.html

Well that answers my question. ):

I think is a good decision. :/
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: