Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 04:16:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319658 Posts in 13044 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies comes Stateside in July.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies comes Stateside in July.  (Read 3418 times)
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2010, 11:29:05 PM »

DQ8's attack animations were overly long. It's the ONLY game in the series with that problem, though.

Well... is the only one of dragon quest series (not counting joker) where you actually see your characters in battles... Still, i think it wasn't long at all, it was insinde of my standards, and in my standards, the perfect speed in a turn battle rpg, was what FF10 used.

SMTIII: Nocturne had the perfect speed. More games should try to achieve the speed in the press turn battle system. I wish Atlus would make a new SMT with it since the 1 More system in Persona 3/4 sort of makes the auto battle option less useful and slows things down even though it was a fun new change at the time.

I liked what Monolith Software did in Xenosaga Episode III too, I know a lot of people found it less strategic but honestly I thought it just added to the fact that strategy doesn't have to come at the sacrifice of speed since I didn't find it less difficult than Episode II even if it wasn't as complex. I just wish they'd had still included a difficulty option since it was still fairly easy, but they did a good job with the balance overall so it wasn't really off kilter or boring until you could get the optional game-breaking moves like Erde Kaiser Sigma.

And to keep this somewhat on topic I'll throw in the DQ DS remakes here even though it has first person battles, on the fastest speed they were great. DQ on the whole could be harder as well though, but they're also good at keeping things balanced for the most part. DQIX looks slower, unfortunately, since like DQVIII it also shows you your characters attacking, but it looks faster than DQVIII at least.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 12:14:48 AM by jj984jj » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: