Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 12:25:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338111 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Vagrant Story
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Vagrant Story  (Read 5002 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2006, 02:35:39 AM »

Man, I forgot how great this game was. Makes me more excited for FFXII as well. How many of you guys played this and enjoyed it, or hated it, back when it came out or whenver you got it? And did it kick your ass? :P
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 06:52:13 AM »

I picked it up pre-owned about a year after it came out, and didn't like it much. But then at that point, my only real RPG experience was FFVIII, so the battle system was somewhat of a shock.

And yeah, I sucked at it :P

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 08:56:41 AM »

After finally completing it, my initial impression of the entire game was good. I thought it was somewhat new, innovative, but of course at times also challenging and annoying. I still consider the story to be top-notch, but my judgement about the game probably would not be that positive today. Sure, the visuals were solid, the story and the soundtrack great, but the weapon creation system was just insanely time consuming and many battles hard as hell. Also, while I understand the concept behind it, running around in those mines for hours really annoyed me. I'm not sure, whether there were a lot of people who actually played through that game twice.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 10:03:51 AM »

i didnt even play through it once. it's not that i didnt like it. it just failed to hold my attention.from what i remember i think the story took to long to develop.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 10:47:37 AM »

The story seemed promising, and I hear it's amazing, but I just couldn't stand the battle system. I felt it was clunky and boring. Also, hearing that the entire game took place in that mine didn't make me feel like going any further. I didn't get that far. :P

I did love the atmosphere and story, so I think I should enjoy FFXII.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 11:03:10 AM »

The story is by far the best thing to ever come out of the Squaresoft think tank.    My only real problem was the weapon system.  It was interesting and suitably complex, but it took entirely too damn long to get anything accomplished with it.  The clunky menu interface sure as hell didn't help things.

But overall, it was one damn fine experience...I just doubt I have the patience to ever play it again.

Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006, 11:07:45 AM »

I liked it alot. But I got stuck in a room and every FAQ and walkthrough I could find didn't help me and I ended up just givnig up.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006, 11:25:52 AM »

I'm currently stuck in it, at
Code:
the turtle boss, or whatever it is--I can't figure out how to damage it substantially. I realize I have to tweak my weapons with the ever-so-annoying weapon creation system, but I'm reluctant to attempt to figure out how to get the most effective blend against the boss I'm stuck at. If someone has a good strategy on defeating it, I'd be much obliged.

Vagrant Story reminds me of a medieval PC RPG, mostly for the setting and clunky weapon creation system. The concept, like others have mentioned, is nice, but there is room for a lot of improvement.

I may get back to it someday. When, is anyone's guess. :P
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2006, 02:47:16 PM »

I hated it.   I think part of my problem was that because it got many great reviews, I was expecting something stellar and I was bound for disappointment.  I didn't get very far because I quit out of frustraton.  I hated enemies respawning in every room and my equipment eroding.  I wasn't one for dungeon crawlers then and I missed going to towns and character interaction.  Perhaps it wasn't a bad game, but it definitely isn't my cup of tea.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2006, 06:38:59 PM »

I still have it and i'm always tempted to pop it in and play it again but I never get around to it.  I bought it when it came out and I did finish it the first time but I almost completely forget the story until I started a new game around a year ago.  I believe i'm in the Snowfly forest or something like that at my last save.

The game is a classic to me.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2006, 08:04:39 PM »

Quote from: "Merkava"
The story seemed promising, and I hear it's amazing, but I just couldn't stand the battle system. I felt it was clunky and boring. Also, hearing that the entire game took place in that mine didn't make me feel like going any further. I didn't get that far. :P

I did love the atmosphere and story, so I think I should enjoy FFXII.

you dont spend the entire game in the mine i remember being outside with trees and such.but you still feel closed in

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2006, 11:01:02 PM »

I've attempted it about ten times, but I've always come unstuck at the same point...
Code:
the living-armour boss fight where Sydney first helps you,after the nasty forest with the dragon mid-boss half-way through!

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2006, 09:14:42 PM »

I've only played to just after the first dungeon.  I must have missed something somewhere, because I always got my butt kicked after that point and really couldn't motivate myself to go further.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Lost Fragment

polybius42
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2006, 02:49:50 AM »

Story = good
Everything else = annoying as hell.

The story is good, but I really don't understand why it got so many positive reviews, and I'm used to thinking about games objectively.

SabreWulf11887

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2006, 03:19:33 PM »

I love every minute of this game. My friend thought it sucked. I told him to give the game a chance and he will like, but never wanted to. Oh well it was his loss.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: