Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 10:42:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334496 Posts in 13702 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Fire Emblem: Another remake is in the works.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Author Topic: Fire Emblem: Another remake is in the works.  (Read 8741 times)
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2010, 02:07:18 AM »

I'm pretty interested in this create a hero thing. I'll be keeping an eye out for this one.
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2010, 12:03:13 PM »

One character appearing doesn't mean they are adding those BS stages.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2010, 01:01:56 AM »

One character appearing doesn't mean they are adding those BS stages.

Yeah, but there are like 4 BSFE stages total. Whether they're there or not isn't that big of a deal (considering the lack of Voice Acting in real time thing which was pretty much the point of the BS games).

That said, I doubt that they would leave them out since they do go a long way towards showing why Camus is a Char Nyna has a thing for Camus.

Edit: Also confirmed for a reappearance is FE:DS1's Althena. (At this point I would wonder if some FE2 characters would also show up but technically their already represented in the form of the Pegasus Sisters plus the CC could be made to resemble either lord character or someone else as well.)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 07:50:37 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2010, 09:11:37 PM »

That's cool but honestly.. I don't really remember much about the FE characters/plot.

All I know are names, growth rates, and support levels.

And they'd have to do some serious modifying of the BS levels to get them into the game, because technically there's no way to 'win' them.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2010, 02:36:04 AM »

The BS chapters are not going to be in the main game. They're going to be included in an extra option.

omanga42

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2010, 06:57:33 AM »

Hopefully its released in america.
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2010, 09:53:52 AM »

2010/07/15 [DS] [1] [2] [3] Fire Emblem: Shin Monshou no Nazo Hikari to Kage no Eiyuu

The next entry in the Fire Emblem series is a remake of the new content in Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem, also known as Fire Emblem 3 for SNES.  The English translation of this title is Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem - Heroes of Shadow and Light.  However I doubt the official English name will be so wordy.  Most of the details about the game are now official, so let's get started.

The original SNES title contains 21 original chapters, which is a bit slim for a main Fire Emblem entry.  Thankfully, Nintendo is adding a new story for "My Unit", a character you create and customize to your liking, including class, appearance, and background.  Your personalized unit will star in the tutorial prologue, fight alongside Marth in the main story, and engage in their own side chapters throughout the game.  In addition, 4 trial maps from the SNES Satellaview releases will be included.  This should push the number of chapters to an acceptable level, somewhere between 30-35.

Your personalized unit will be able to talk to others in your army during intermission, although it's not clear if there are any rewards for doing so.  There will be over 300 conversations available throughout the main story.  This is akin to the Base Conversations of Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn.  Much like FE: Shadow Dragon, the interpersonal character guide will return, plotting out how every person is related in the Fire Emblem story.  There will be characters added to the game from Shadow Dragon, the Satellaview maps, in addition to completely new characters to the series.

The reclassing system will return, where you can change a characters class and alter their base stats and growth rates.  Hopefully it's a bit more balanced than it was in FE:SD.  Gaiden chapters featuring your personalized unit will be available provided you meet certain requirements, which probably don't involve killing off more than half your army this time around, like you had to in FE: Shadow Dragon.  I'm sure the developers have heard the sentiment of disgruntled fans who didn't like the lack of character development, personality-erasing reclassing, and having to kill off most of your army to access the side chapters, and it looks like the developers are working hard to address those complaints.

Wi-Fi returns with a couple new features.  You'll be able to download new maps from Nintendo, both multiplayer skirmishes and single player chapters.  The DLC single player maps will include new story content, not just trial maps with no plot development.  You can trade characters with other players, although I'm not sure what the details on this are.  The online store will be returning, which is one of the things I really disliked about FE: Shadow Dragon.  You can go online and buy very rare items and ruin the games balance and difficulty, and you have to wait for a specific time of the month to buy the item you want.

Keeping with Nintendo's philosophy of catering to a wide range of player skill levels, there are now two difficulty altering settings available.  New to the series are the addition of Casual and Classic modes.  In Casual mode, if a unit reaches 0 HP, they will not die permanently, while Classic mode is the typical Fire Emblem permadeath feature.  There are four difficulty settings, Normal, Hard, Maniac, and Lunatic.  The two difficulty mechanics are independent of one another, so you can play Casual mode on Lunatic difficulty if you choose.

I have not heard anything about a score or ranking system, so I'm guessing there isn't one.  That means this games challenges are not legitimate because you can boss/arena abuse, use the online store, etc.  and ruin the games difficulty.  I appreciate the extra difficulty modes, but they are pointless when you can spend infinite turns on a chapter farming XP and weapon skill, or going online and buying rare, powerful items that are only available once a month.  And who knows how wi-fi unit swapping will upset the balance of the game? We're far removed from the legitimate rank based challenges of older Fire Emblem titles.

Graphically, the game looks a lot like the Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon.  It uses the same sprites and character art.  Whether you like it or not, it seems like it's here to stay on the DS.

As you may already know, Fire Emblem and Advance Wars set the gold standard for tactical turn based strategy user interfaces.  They are always extremely responsive and packed with useful features and management tools.  I've seen quite a few tactical level games botch the UI and make the game a drag to play.  Not so here.  Expect the same polished quality that Intelligent Systems has been delivering for decades.

Import gamers may be unhappy to learn that the game may be 'DSi Enhanced', which means it will be region encoded if you try to play it on a DSi system.  You'll be fine if you play it on a regular DS or DS Lite, however.

Overall this looks like another solid Fire Emblem title, difficulty issues not withstanding.  It should please fans who were soured on Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, and the new casual mode should bring in more sales, appeal, and fans of the series.  Look forward to import impressions once I've spent some time with the game.
omanga42

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2010, 01:50:24 PM »

The first ds remake took 4 months to localize...... and with the second remake coming in july....... assuming nintendo hasnt abandoned us..... we could see it in october/november
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2010, 03:12:27 PM »

It really doesn't matter to me if they use the same sprites. It didn't bother me on the GBA and it doesn't bother me on the DS they are solid sprites. I'm really looking forward to the character creation system.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2010, 04:40:27 PM »

Looks pretty good so far. I still hate the awful muddy semi-3d sprite things. Aside from it just being ugly, the other thing is that the animations arn't as much fun to watch as the ones in the GBA titles.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2010, 01:26:14 PM »

The first ds remake took 4 months to localize...... and with the second remake coming in july....... assuming nintendo hasnt abandoned us..... we could see it in october/november

I really, really doubt Nintendo would not bring this over after localizing Shadow Dragon. I say December. Hopefully, this one gets better reception than SD did.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
omanga42

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2010, 03:09:57 PM »

With more missions and more story it should
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2010, 01:00:17 AM »

I have not heard anything about a score or ranking system, so I'm guessing there isn't one.  That means this games challenges are not legitimate because you can boss/arena abuse, use the online store, etc.  and ruin the games difficulty.  I appreciate the extra difficulty modes, but they are pointless when you can spend infinite turns on a chapter farming XP and weapon skill, or going online and buying rare, powerful items that are only available once a month.  And who knows how wi-fi unit swapping will upset the balance of the game? We're far removed from the legitimate rank based challenges of older Fire Emblem titles.

This is one of the most hilariously backwards things that I have had the pleasure of reading since my last foray into the Diskworld series.

No legitimate challenge? What a load.

Sure one can min/max levels, stats, and supports in an FE game, save scumming should results achieve less than optimal results, but only beginners play that way. On the other hand, the REAL FE players are the ones who can Iron Man it (or for the uninitiated, playing through the game and accepting whatever the RNG throws at you regardless of the outcome short of gameover where it is literally impossible to continue (and this includes throwing your lord into the fire to force a reset because that's just a lame and circuitous way of save scumming)). Its a method where you really have to sit down and rethink how you play the game versus maxing out the best characters and steamrolling the rest of the game. And Shadow Dragon is the best way to start practicing this type of gameplay since it offers you so many alternatives for lost characters that aren't really any different from your standard choices (and when you think about it, that makes sense given how the original version of FE1 was literally designed for this given the lack of saves).

The tl;dr is that while there's nothing wrong with min/maxing and save scumming all over the place, one shouldn't just write off the difficulty without trying to Iron Man at least once (even on Normal).

mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2010, 01:15:33 AM »

A real Fire Emblem player is anyone who plays Fire Emblem.  Not sure where your pompous authority comes from to declare that only people who follow your player defined challenge are "real FE players", and what's "lame" or not, because I'm pretty sure you're not a developer working for Intelligent Systems.  You are wrong and your attempts at trolling by using words like 'hilarious' and 'what a load' fail.  Didn't I have to teach you the exact same thing in the last Fire Emblem thread you ranted all over?  From my SRPG 101 article..

In order for the score or result of a game to be legitimate, its rules must be standardized. There should be no way to reduce the amount of skill needed to score or pass the test without adversely affecting the score/result. The most common ways that a games rules become non-standardized are through pre-order/collectors edition in-game bonuses, DLC, optional stat grinding, and save/reload abuse. Any game that violates this rule is no longer a valid test of skill and should not be considered legitimate as a test of skill. There are two types of challenges in video games. Developer provided challenges, where the game reacts to the players actions such as rewarding a higher score or making the game more difficult, and player provided challenges, where the game does not react to the players actions either way. 'Choosing not to grind' in a game that doesn't punish grinding is a player defined challenge and thus isn't considered legitimate within the confines of the games rules. Stating "just don't use X" does not magically legitimize a games difficulty.  A game doesn't need a scoring system for its challenge to be legitimate, as long as there's no way to reduce the amount of skill needed to complete it.

Legitimate developer provided challenges and scoring systems form the basis of organized competition. Many types of games would fail to function competitively if the legitimacy of difficulty or scoring system were removed. Player defined challenges can be a fun way to salvage an otherwise broken or easy game, and I've done plenty of them myself, but they aren't comparable to a challenge hard coded into each copy of the game set as the official set of rules.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 01:17:58 AM by mjrpgfan » Logged
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2010, 02:17:34 AM »

Both sides are doing the same thing in this argument, IE: being idiots.  You both have your own ways of playing the game, shut up and just enjoy it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: