Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 31, 2014, 12:23:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329985 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Fire Emblem: Another remake is in the works.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print
Author Topic: Fire Emblem: Another remake is in the works.  (Read 8655 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2010, 04:08:54 AM »

A real Fire Emblem player is anyone who plays Fire Emblem.  Not sure where your pompous authority comes from to declare that only people who follow your player defined challenge are "real FE players", and what's "lame" or not, because I'm pretty sure you're not a developer working for Intelligent Systems.  You are wrong and your attempts at trolling by using words like 'hilarious' and 'what a load' fail.  Didn't I have to teach you the exact same thing in the last Fire Emblem thread you ranted all over?  From my SRPG 101 article..

In order for the score or result of a game to be legitimate, its rules must be standardized. There should be no way to reduce the amount of skill needed to score or pass the test without adversely affecting the score/result. The most common ways that a games rules become non-standardized are through pre-order/collectors edition in-game bonuses, DLC, optional stat grinding, and save/reload abuse. Any game that violates this rule is no longer a valid test of skill and should not be considered legitimate as a test of skill. There are two types of challenges in video games. Developer provided challenges, where the game reacts to the players actions such as rewarding a higher score or making the game more difficult, and player provided challenges, where the game does not react to the players actions either way. 'Choosing not to grind' in a game that doesn't punish grinding is a player defined challenge and thus isn't considered legitimate within the confines of the games rules. Stating "just don't use X" does not magically legitimize a games difficulty.  A game doesn't need a scoring system for its challenge to be legitimate, as long as there's no way to reduce the amount of skill needed to complete it.

Legitimate developer provided challenges and scoring systems form the basis of organized competition. Many types of games would fail to function competitively if the legitimacy of difficulty or scoring system were removed. Player defined challenges can be a fun way to salvage an otherwise broken or easy game, and I've done plenty of them myself, but they aren't comparable to a challenge hard coded into each copy of the game set as the official set of rules.

What a mature response to my suggesting that you should just try playing these games straight instead of cheating your ass off all the time. But I guess meeting arbitrary goals for pats to your ego from developers is much more fulfilling than making your arbitrary goals to stroke your own back. But hey, its not like trying to play a game a different way is going to change how the game is played.

But then again you're such an authority on challenge that I concede defeat. You are the challenged master. No edoubts about that.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2010, 10:25:55 AM »

What a mature response to my suggesting that you should just try playing these games straight instead of cheating your ass off all the time. But I guess meeting arbitrary goals for pats to your ego from developers is much more fulfilling than making your arbitrary goals to stroke your own back. But hey, its not like trying to play a game a different way is going to change how the game is played.

But then again you're such an authority on challenge that I concede defeat. You are the challenged master. No edoubts about that.

Cheating involves manipulating the game in an unintended way, either through glitches and bugs or code modification.  That word isn't related to your vague definition of things that are "lame" or declaring how a game is played "straight".

And a pointless insult/troll post by Gen Eric Gui.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 10:32:02 AM by mjrpgfan » Logged
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2010, 08:46:33 PM »

How is "You both are wrong, shut up and play the game whichever way you want to" a troll post?  I'm pretty sure that's a common fucking sense post.
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2010, 08:54:05 PM »

The most common, base form of trolling is making an unsubstantiated argument peppered with insults in an attempt to goad some hilariously long defense out of the target.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2010, 09:09:08 PM »

Still not really seeing how "Why don't you just enjoy your games and stop arguing about who is playing them right" is a troll argument.
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2010, 10:21:50 PM »

Still not really seeing how "Why don't you just enjoy your games and stop arguing about who is playing them right" is a troll argument.

It's because I secretly have a crush on you. <3
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2010, 10:38:06 PM »

That's nice then. We can now move on.

I am rather curious about the sword wielding Dancer class. That could look pretty cool.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: