Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 02:36:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319104 Posts in 13032 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  I just don't like handhelds...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: I just don't like handhelds...  (Read 4369 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: May 25, 2010, 08:29:18 PM »

Maybe this is a bit of a rant, but I was curious how others feel about it.  It's pretty undeniable that if you're a JRPG fan these days then most of the games are coming out for handheld systems like the DS and PSP.  Thankfully things have been getting a bit better in the console space, but it still can't compare to the handhelds.  But I've been looking through my collection of games and realized that the percentage of handheld games I've actually finished is shockingly low...sure I don't always finish games on consoles either, but I always make an effort.

The fact of the matter is I just don't like gaming on handhelds.  It's the difference between hunching over a tiny screen grasping a piece of plastic designed for portability over ergonomics (heck, I had to buy grips for my PSP to keep my thumb from cramping up whenever I tried to use that dang analog nub) and sitting back with a nice comfortable controller in my hands enjoying my HDTV and surround sound system.  And I'm not necessarily talking about graphics or anything like that, just comfort.  Handheld gaming is not comfortable, and I can't stand to play for extended periods of time.

It's true that handhelds can be more convenient.  They're great for plane trips, but that's about the only situation in which I spend a lot of time with them.  Mainly I do my gaming to relax after work and in that situation I will prefer the console 100% of the time, all other things being equal.  A handheld game has to be really good before I would actually choose to play it over a console game, and even then I will spend most of the time wishing it was actually a console game...

But, as I stated in the beginning of this post, handhelds are where the games are.  And I hate it...

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 08:32:52 PM »

Eyestrain on small screens is a pain.  That's one reason I favor my PSP.  I can hook it up to my HDTV and play on a big screen when I'm home, and play it on the go when I'm out and about (nice big screen too.)  Seriously, my PSP has seen more action than any of my other systems sine I bought it. 

I approve of this nonsense!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 08:44:16 PM »

In addition to what Neal said, I think the XL is partially to address this, if nothing else at least your tiny handheld screen isn't QUITE as tiny.

Hmm, I may take to setting up the PSP to the TV more actually. My screen's a bit scratched up, and now there's these black splotches forming. At least on a TV I can avoid those issues, even if it gets a bit blurry from being on a screen with a much higher resolution.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 08:45:41 PM »

Nintendo needs to get on the fucking ball with DS to Wii linkability and let us use a TV already.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 08:52:01 PM »

Am I the only person that has a non-HD, non-flatscreen TV here? My DS is a lot easier on my eyes than my actual TV. Especially for any game that's sort of dark or text-heavy/uses small fonts.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 09:11:24 PM »

Am I the only person that has a non-HD, non-flatscreen TV here? My DS is a lot easier on my eyes than my actual TV. Especially for any game that's sort of dark or text-heavy/uses small fonts.

My tvs are the larger, old models. One of em looks like this:

Minus those fancy knobs on the right. Yes my tv looks like a safe.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 09:35:22 PM »

Nintendo needs to get on the fucking ball with DS to Wii linkability and let us use a TV already.

Given how tight the resolution fit would be and the fact full functionality would be hard to do (the mic) or awkward (using the stylus only on a tiny square at the bottom of the TV), I think there's a very good reason why Nintendo hasn't bothered yet.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 10:11:29 PM »

I really really really like handhelds. Being able to play videogames in bed and in the bathroom is a huge blessing.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 02:44:05 AM »

I really really really like handhelds. Being able to play videogames in bed and in the bathroom is a huge blessing.

Seconding this.

I play most of my handhelds in bed or lounging on a couch.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 04:15:21 AM »

Seconding this.

...naked

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 04:38:03 AM »

Seconding this.

...naked

they dont make those stylus groping games for nothing you know
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 05:00:11 AM »

so far, all the tv's I've had are non-flatscreen
games with dark atmospheres almost always force me to squint and that sucks

my psp gets dirty too easily and annoys me, though
its analog thing is easy for me to use
I have a really nice chair for playing those games so I rarely have that problem

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 05:52:23 PM »

I completely agree. I own maybe 10 PSP games and have never beat a single one. I have maybe 15 DS games and beat maybe 2 of them.

I have large hands and don't find handhelds comfortable to hold, nor are they comfortable to look at hunched over for a long period of time.

The PSP games atleast come closer to a console experience, but the DS games still feel like "games on the go".

Who spends enough time in the bathroom to game anyway? Get more fiber in your diet.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 06:15:38 PM »

Hey. Hey asshole. This is a thread about NOT liking handhelds, so you just take your handheld-loving, poop-dropping self, and go make your OWN thread. .v.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 09:19:44 PM »

Hey maybe you should be more tolerant of other people's opinions you dick-eating dick-eater who is actually a giant dick that eats dicks so it's some sort of dick cannibalism aka dick-and-ballism.

Strooth.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: