Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 06:47:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327171 Posts in 13392 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest  (Read 10581 times)
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2006, 05:48:48 PM »

She has wonderful features, but I don't know if she's truley "OMG BANG" material. She denies that she's anorexic, even though it runs in her family, but she still needs to eat more. :P
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2006, 07:35:59 PM »

Quote from: "Merkava"
She has wonderful features, but I don't know if she's truley "OMG BANG" material. She denies that she's anorexic, even though it runs in her family, but she still needs to eat more. :P

True enough. But I guess I was referring more specifically to the lips, because OMG! Those were hot lips. Sure, they may be "enhanced" but they're still hot lips :D
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2006, 01:36:46 AM »

Just saw it.  Minor spoilers, but nothing that'll ruin your movie experience in the least.

The Plot was good...I think... I couldn't understand half of it when it was laced with some of the thick accents and THX SFX.

Whoever was in charge of visual orchestration deserves a bloody oscar to come up with the bloody designs of all the freaky Davey Jones peoples as well as the ship.

Probably the best 3D effects I have ever seen in a movie (I gotta say, this has been quite a defining year for it so far).  Davey Jones was an amazing thing to look at (whereas 20 years ago his "beard" probably would have been nothing more than silicon that moved around when he did =P) ....so, Davey is gonna be the enemy for the next one right>??

Johnny again made the movie what it was for kickin ass and being cool, and witty about it.  Keira was quite impressive in this one, while Orlando was still a bit of a boy scout.... I don't know about you guys, but the dice game completely lost me (then again I am extremely tired).

Better than the original in terms of action and overall thrill, for sure.  I like the fact that many events were covered and locations were visited.

Its great that they were able to get so many characters back for this one, and its great to see the dickhead captain back (looking better I might add).

AND LASTLY!  I am so happy to see the flick lost any "Disney" feel about it, and we actually saw bloody, bones, and the guys eye-hole.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2006, 02:53:47 AM »

I enjoyed the movie.  I think I got my money's worth.  I also got to see the movie on a digital projector screen.  They make a difference since the picture looks so pristine on them.  

The movie didn't have quite as many awesome moments as the original, I concede.  I also found the sexual tension between Jack and Elizabeth very interesting.  It will be interesting to see what happens between them in the next movie.  There is one major bright side to this movie.  
Code:
It is apparently the first Disney movie where the main bad guy is not defeated.  I was expecting him to bite it in the end.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2006, 10:44:28 AM »

Quote from: "MonCapitan2002"
Code:
It is apparently the first Disney movie where the main bad guy is not defeated.  I was expecting him to bite it in the end.

Code:
Im pretty sure it marks many-a-landmark for Disney.  Highest [b]death count[/b] (some are pretty brutal, I might add), highest bloon shed, highest amount of wenches, etc.

I like it though, Disney should start appealing to a larger audeince, hell, its worked for Pixar.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2006, 01:06:45 PM »

Quote from: "Dice"
I don't know about you guys, but the dice game completely lost me (then again I am extremely tired).

Seemed pretty much the card game BS.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2006, 06:47:16 PM »

Basically you try to guess who has what from your own dice, and from what the others are telling you.
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2006, 07:46:13 AM »

I don't know about you guys, but the dice game completely lost me (then again I am extremely tired).

The dice game is called Perudo, and can be played by at least 2 players. Each player has 5 dice, and they "shuffle" them at the start of each round. The dice must be hidden under each player's cup. Somebody makes a claim as to how many of a particular die there are on the table. The next person can either say there are the same number of a higher-numbered die, or there are more of the die the first player mentioned. They can also say there are half as many 1s. A round cannot open with 1s, except on a Palethico round, but i'll get to that later. The next person, after 1s have been called, can either raise the number of 1s, or call double-plus-one of a higher-numbered die. If someone has made a claim that the next person thinks is false, they call Dudo and everyone shows their dice in order. If the person who made the claim is wrong, then they lose a die, if the person who called Dudo is wrong, they lose a die.

Anyone who has lost a die and is not next to call can claim Calsa, which means they think the claim is exact. Then everyone shows their dice as with Dudo. If the person who called Calsa is right, then they get one die back. Otherwise, they lose another die. After Dudo or Calsa, the round ends.

When someone is down to 1 die, a Palethico round begins. As with other rounds, the person who last lost a die makes the first claim. This time they can start with 1s. Each person can only raise the number of dice, they cannot change to a different die. So the claim is raised until someone calls Dudo. Normally, 1s are wild: they count as other dice as well. But here they count only as 1s. If the Palethico wins this round, the next round is normal. Unless someone else becomes a Palethico of course. I don't think Calsa can be called on a Palethico round.

When only 2 players are left, the "special" rules are not in effect. This means Calsa cannot be called, and there is no Palethico round. When one player is left, they are the winner. Though in Pirates of the Caribbean, only one round is played, so there definitely is a loser. And none of the terms are used, so everyone can understand what is going on.

If you're wondering how I know so much about this, its because I have a Perudo set at home. I used to play it all the time with my family, but not anymore. Probably because my brother always won.
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2006, 12:45:51 PM »

Quote from: "Jimmy"

True enough. But I guess I was referring more specifically to the lips, because OMG! Those were hot lips. Sure, they may be "enhanced" but they're still hot lips :D

Those lips are amazing. Mmmmmm.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2006, 02:24:26 PM »

Saw the movie. I enjoyed it , despite several ridiculous moments.
Code:
Jack running with that stick full of fruit on his back.
Speaking of which, how the hell did he get to be chief of those people, anyway?
The fight in/around the "waterwheel" or whatever it's called. The sequence was too long and stupid.
Elizabeth is now an expert swordswoman? When did that happen?
The Captain Jack/Elizabeth sexual tension thing doesn't work for me. Jack is just too weird.
The Kraken was a bit overused.
The final scene with Jack is absolutely ridiculous. He is not a hero and should have not been made to act like one. I picture him jumping over the side of the boat rather than charging the beast.
I also don't buy how Will got the key away from Davey.

I guess I had more problems with the movie than I thought.
I did like the Davey Jones character. Any baddie who plays a pipe organ is a cool baddie.
Overall, it was still enjoyable, and I look forward to the last one next year.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2006, 04:09:55 PM »

Code:
They mentioned pretty explicitly that Jack bore a strong physical resemblence to their deity, and that Elizabeth had been learning how to swordfight from Will.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2006, 05:53:34 PM »

I thought the final scene with Jack was great.

Code:
When I saw him rowing away it annoyed me. I know the charm of the character is that he's a bit of a coward, knows when to run etc, but there has to be a point when that character takes responsibility. There's a point when running stops being funny and just makes the character an irritating coward. Plus, he knew he had little choice. He looks behind and sees how far away the land is, and knows it would get him whatever happens. And come on, 'hello beastie' was a great little line.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Gondor_Reficul

Gondor Reficul (gondor_the_feral
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2006, 02:59:20 AM »

I thought the movie was awsome. It didn't lose it's humor,  my only complaint is that the movie could of ended a bit differently, but it's not a big complaint. Everyone was great in the movie, that final scene with Jack was probably one of the best scenes of the movie, except for the ones with the rum references.

Mwahahahahahahahahaha!
Take this! Double Slash of Fury! Dragon Roar! Kaboom!
Wait...Kaboom? I gotta stop drinking that special juice Yangus made a week ago in the Alchemy Pot.
Radien

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2006, 09:42:32 PM »

I saw it. I thought it was good. Not as good as the original, but considering the track record of second installments in movies series I've seen, I thought it did pretty well.

The part I was most unsure about was the cursed crew.  In the original, we had undead skeleton pirates cursed by Aztec gold. The idea that the Aztecs were capable of such witchcraft is arguable, but at least it works well with the idea of pirate legend. But this time they'd already done the "skeleton crew" thing, so they had to think up a new curse... Let's see, how about sailors being turned into various mish-mashes of sea life?... And apparently they are still unkillable, like the originals?

I dunno, it just sorta loses the piratical charm of the original. I want more skeletal pirates, dangit!!

Code:
Additionally, what was all that junk about the Flying Dutchman "sailing upwind"? The dang ship could sail underwater, for crying out loud! Curses already defy the laws of nature, so they need to be consistent within themselves in order to be believable.  In any case, what exactly WAS Davy Jones' curse, anyway?... Did it just sorta happen? Perhaps they should have made it a ghost ship, or given it a firey-agent-of-hell captain, instead of this weird nautical curse...

As for the screenplay, I think it was indeed pretty good, but like the aforementioned curse, it mish-mashed together too many elements.

Code:
In particular, I didn't really like the "angry natives" scene. Sure, it's a very standard formulaic staple in nautical movies, but it's a little insulting to indigenous peoples, and it really had nothing to do with the rest of the movie. They only served as a reason for the Black Pearl to avoid docking at a particular island. There are a LOT of other ways in which they could have prevented Jack from wanting to dock.

By the time they got to the "final showdown" (or at least, as close as this movie gets to having one) I was a little exhausted at watching the rest of the action and just wanted to see how it ended.  Pirates has a little bit of a habit of having too many unbeatable enemies.

Anyway, I enjoyed the movie because it was upbeat, interesting developments kept you on your toes, and it often made fun of whatever cliches it followed.

What I DIDN'T enjoy was that after 2 1/2 hours, they finally reach an ending, and... it turns out that it's not really the end. ~_~; But at least it ended while I was interested in what was going on.

Quote from: "Rico"

Seemed pretty much the card game BS.

It didn't bother me, because I could tell who was making the big wagers and who was doing well. The details only need to be partially understood.

If you want the details, though, Ze Grand Master put it well, but they actually simplified the game of Perudo to put in the movie. It's a mixture of the card games of BS and Texas Hold 'Em, except done with dice. You have to keep one-upping your opponents by claiming there are a certain number of dice on the table, either by betting on the ones you have already seen (your own dice) or by guessing how many the others actually have.

When one person calls the other's bluff, if it really was a bluff, the bluffer loses. If it wasn't a bluff, the caller loses. The uninvolved player neither wins nor loses anything.

Incidentally, did anyone figure out the "years of service" thing? Were they competing to determine when they would be freed, or when they would be allowed to die?...

I kinda question people who claim that she was included just to attract male audiences.  Yes, she is beautiful, but through most of the movie they had her completely covered in men's attire. With her hair covered, too. And often her back turned. That's only alluring if you have a thing for tomboys. *shrug*

What I really don't understand is the notion that Jack Sparrow is swoon-worthy. I mean, sheesh, the character obviously doesn't even bathe. I feel sorry for Johnny Depp being pinned as the pin-up so often, because he's done a fantastic job on all his most recent roles. He's a real chameleon of an actor.

~Radien of Lunarnet.

No, not LunarNET... Lunarnet, the IRC network. We've been around even longer than LunarNET, we're just smaller.  There's an #RPGFan channel there. Check it out.

Point your IRC program here:

irc.lunarnet.org
port 6667
Gondor_Reficul

Gondor Reficul (gondor_the_feral
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2006, 11:30:29 PM »

An answer to your "years of service" question...I think. Think about this:

You get caught by a butt-ugly sea creature pirate thingy.
He gives you two choices, join or die.
You can die a bloody death, or serve ugly man for a set amount of time.
You choose join to save your life. Let's say you serve him for 50 years.
After 50 years are up, where are you going to go? What are you going to do?
This guy usually stays around the middle of the ocean. Swimming back will be tough. So you can either swim and run the risk of dying in the middle of almost nowhere. Or spend the rest of your wasted life onboard anyways.
No matter what, it's a lose lose situation. Even if you are freed, how much of your life would you have left?

Mwahahahahahahahahaha!
Take this! Double Slash of Fury! Dragon Roar! Kaboom!
Wait...Kaboom? I gotta stop drinking that special juice Yangus made a week ago in the Alchemy Pot.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: