Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 05:41:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334702 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest  (Read 10878 times)
Radien

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2006, 04:52:21 AM »

Quote from: "Gondor_Reficul"
An answer to your "years of service" question...I think. Think about this:

You get caught by a butt-ugly sea creature pirate thingy.
He gives you two choices, join or die.
You can die a bloody death, or serve ugly man for a set amount of time.
You choose join to save your life. Let's say you serve him for 50 years.
After 50 years are up, where are you going to go? What are you going to do?
This guy usually stays around the middle of the ocean. Swimming back will be tough. So you can either swim and run the risk of dying in the middle of almost nowhere. Or spend the rest of your wasted life onboard anyways.
No matter what, it's a lose lose situation. Even if you are freed, how much of your life would you have left?

Okay, thanks for the clarification, heh. I remember that scene. "You're free to go ashore, next time we dock at port, heheheh." Although, I thought the one whose bluff didn't get called neither won nor lost anything...

On that note, I wonder whether the physical curse endures on those who finish their servitude. I'm guessing "yes."

Code:
Also, it occurred to me that William Turner's father was afflicted by the Aztec curse when he took Davy Jones' offer. Did the "bargain" strip him of the curse? Was the curse broken after the events of the first movie, along with the other pirates? Man, he is one unlucky guy. It wasn't until rewatching the first movie today that I fully realized he was undead when they strapped a cannon to him and sank him.

~Radien of Lunarnet.

No, not LunarNET... Lunarnet, the IRC network. We've been around even longer than LunarNET, we're just smaller.  There's an #RPGFan channel there. Check it out.

Point your IRC program here:

irc.lunarnet.org
port 6667
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2006, 03:00:37 PM »

Quote from: "Gondor_Reficul"
Everyone was great in the movie, that final scene with Jack was probably one of the best scenes of the movie, except for the ones with the rum references.

WTF are you talking about?! This film contains Orlando Bloom, so not everyone in the movie was great. Everyone apart from him was. Yeah, and you're right about the rum references.
ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2006, 03:21:09 PM »

Code:
I'm guessing Bootstrap Bill wasn't cured of the curse just because everyone else was, seeing as the monkey is cursed in this movie. And they also refer to him as being "twice cursed", so that probably means he has the curse and the contract.

I also think that after their years of servitude, a Flying Dutchman crewmember "dies", as most of them were about to die when they were offered the choice of serving Davy - so in other words maybe serving onboard the Flying Dutchman is like being in Purgatory, i.e. being on the way towards death but kept back because of the contract. Like the ghost army in Lord of the Rings wasn't allowed to die properly until they'd fulfilled their contract. And the choice between death and servitude is like the programs in the Matrix upon deletion being offered a choice between permanently deleted or returning to the system as a "rogue" program. Well sort of.

Code:
And has anyone realised that Davy Jones was never a person in a myth or real life, he's just replaced the Flying Dutchman in that their backstories are the same (except for the heart thing) and that they captain the same ship?
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2006, 05:08:25 PM »

I'm really sick of people hating on Orlando Bloom for no particular reason. I'll be the first to admit he's not a great actor, but this attitude that he's automatically terrible annoys me, because he's not. I thought he was a hell of a lot better in this film.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2006, 08:03:36 PM »

Quote from: "Degolas"
I'm really sick of people hating on Orlando Bloom for no particular reason. I'll be the first to admit he's not a great actor, but this attitude that he's automatically terrible annoys me, because he's not. I thought he was a hell of a lot better in this film.

And cuz hes hot...like reaaally hot. =3

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2006, 03:40:17 AM »

Well, I wouldn't kick him out of bed ;-)

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2006, 11:23:28 AM »

I know he has got a hell of a lot better, but thats not really saying much.
amlabella

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2006, 02:03:17 PM »

I saw it a couple days after it came out. I thought it was great, but I liked the first one a bit more. But now I'm really looking forward to the next movie after that ending.

Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2006, 12:59:29 PM »

Just saw the movie yesterday. I loved it about as much as I loved the first one. Captain Jack is still the man, and Davey Jones was pretty bad-ass.

I don't really have any complaints with either movie. I know I'm definately looking forward to the next movie. <3

Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2006, 09:12:27 AM »

I really liked the movie but am I the only person who
Code:
was really ticked off when the movie [i]didn't[/i] end? I mean, it was a great movie, very entertaining, whatever, but to leave roughly 6 (or even more) plot lines open at the end of a movie is a blatant grasp at a sequel. And it was long, not so long that I didn't enjoy it, but long enough that it should have finished the plotlines. Maybe if they were to release the second half in a few months as in the Matrix it would be fine, but a year for what might as well be the second half of a movie is quite a long time.

Also I think that Dead Man's Chest is the first sequel movie Johnny Depp has done, so that's an interesting little note.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2006, 05:13:46 PM »

So, just got back from watching this. Spoilers abound, can't be bothered to code it all.

Why the hell did I just pay $14 to watch half a movie's worth of content padded out to over 2 hours of runtime? Very little of importance happened in the movie, and the majority of it consisted of fluff. Well-produced fluff, granted, but fluff none the less.

I mean, whole portions of this movie could've been cut without it affecting the story in any meaningful way. Take the whole Cannibal Island sequence, for an example. What purpose did it server, other than provide some insanely stupid slapstick humour (shish kebab Jack polevaulting over a cliff gap comes to mind) and set up the return of the two comic relief characters? Who, incidentally, weren't funny at all this time around.

Then there were scenes that really could've used some trimming. The three way swordfight/chest chase at the end was entertaining, but it did go on for a few minutes too much. After a while I was tempted to stand up and yell "GET ON WITH IT" in the tradition of Monty Python.

And the love traingle. Whoa. That sure as hell didn't work for me. Guess it was thrown in there because the producers thought they needed some "drama" to counterbalance all the goofy humour.

Additionally, what the hell did they do to the characters' personalities? I mean sure, Jack was untrustworthy in the first film, but this time around he's was just an jackass. And while Elizabeth was always portrayed as a strong and resourceful, I don't think the version of her we saw in the last film would ever have gone as far as to chain Wacko Jacko to the ship just to save herself and Will.

But my biggest complaint is, of course, that the movie just ends. Without resolving anything. This is always the case with middle parts of movie triologies, though, so it was to be expected. The whole movie is basically nothing but one long setup for part 3.

Still, it wasn't all bad. Keira Knightley was lovely as usual, and the special effects were great. I especially liked the Kraken, and the design of Davey Jones was amazing. And I was delighted to see Barbossa return at the end. I'm a big fan of Geoffrey Rush, so I'm looking forward to see him in the third part.

I can't really say that I think it was a very good movie, but on the other hand I can't say that it was terrible either. I did enjoy it, but it was flawed. I'm hoping the third (last?) part will improve upon this one.

Edit: Oh, right. another thing I liked: the line "I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by". You can never go wrong stealing lines from Douglas Adams.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: