Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 03:47:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341291 Posts in 13948 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  So, BP is cool.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: So, BP is cool.  (Read 7183 times)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 10:42:01 PM »

Don't worry, the ocean can handle the oil, because the greatest amount of oil that gets into the ocean isn't from man made disasters, but from seepage from the ocean floor!

Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 11:07:29 PM »

Oh c'mon guys, you're acting like this hasn't happened before.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ixtoc_I

I'm just kidding.  But as you can see, the current oil spill/leakage is much worse than what's already occurred.

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 11:44:20 PM »

No no, as I said its just thoughts that go through my brain, overall though as I said, I agree with Parn.  Its a shame we are not able to handle this, despite I dunno, having been drilling for oil for how long?  I also wasn't trying to say it was ok either, just pointing out that at least, unlike say, a nuclear bomb going off, this is relatively of nature.  Still not fucking good, no doubt about that. 

It's not that they were unable to handle it, it's that they didn't take extra safety precautions because they wanted to save a bit of chump change (As far as big companies go).

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say with this- the word "nature" is nothing more than a term that humans apply to an abstract. Whether something is natural or not is not a measure of how "good" or "bad" it is. After all, nature also "dictates" the survival and extinction of certain species. What's part of nature or not is immaterial here.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2010, 03:11:02 AM »

I guess I just meant its not like..man made?  I dunno it sounds stupid now that I think about it..my bad.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 10:02:19 AM »

Oh c'mon guys, you're acting like this hasn't happened before.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ixtoc_I

I'm just kidding.  But as you can see, the current oil spill/leakage is much worse than what's already occurred.

It's funny that you bring that old accident up, because we're repeating the same failed attempts at stopping that oil geyser on the current oil geyser.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2010, 12:51:19 PM »

So I guess a good skill for employment at BP today would be owning my own shamwow?

TASTY!
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2010, 04:07:31 PM »

I like how our government has had this space ship for like six years

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_X-37

and it can go 25 times the speed of sound. But our solution for this, which btw, I thought Obama had planned out "dollar-for-dollar" how to spend all this, and we're losing like $5000/second with this oil spill, blah blah blah.

OUR SOLUTION IS TO THROW GOLF BALLS AND TIRES AT THIS ONE, HOWEVER

God save the fucking queen

/salute
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2010, 05:00:58 PM »

There is no NASA equivalent in the federal government for offshore oil drilling.  There are no experts on oil spill response to be seen.  We are entirely at the mercy of BP.  With that fact understood, BP doesn't have any experts either, because every step they've done so far is a repeat of what was done for Ixtoc I as Masamune mentioned earlier.  All of the attempts failed back then, and they're failing now.

This shit is going to leak all the way through August, when the relief wells are finally finished drilling.
Dios GX
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2010, 06:02:43 PM »

I'm just channeling the anger of fifty people and condensing it into a nonsensical americanized statement.

None the less, you do have to admit we sincerely had more technologically thought-out projects in the freaking dark ages than these bozos are concocting. The Roman Empire is still a utopia compared to anything we've done since. But this is just pathetic.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2010, 06:05:05 PM »

My dad, a chemical engineer, is convinced that if some of the earlier attempts had been tweaked (i.e. better calculations and judicious use of larger diameter or a whole bunch of smaller diameter siphoning pipes and that engineering hoosefudge that goes over my head) then damage would have at least been minimized by now.  I trust my dad on these matters for obvious reasons, and the BP fiasco befuddles him to no end.  Basically, what he's saying is that the resources, technology, and engineering know-how to fix this mess (or at least minimize damage) are available and BP is a bunch of nincompoops.

It's no secret that this disaster is bad on multiple levels.  Even for those corporate people who could give a shit about the environment, it's disastrous for a whole bunch of economies and thus the monetary "bottom line" is down in the brown too.  So even if you don't care about an oil covered duck (and people should since even the smallest change in the food chain eventually affects us big time) care about the mess this disaster is making on the country's pocketbook, which the economy is STILL in fucking shambles and can't afford to be even more down in the brown now.  Still, it does irk me a bit that we simultaneously use our waters as both a pantry and a toilet.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 06:11:19 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2010, 06:38:38 PM »

If you want to really rage, the BP problem only adds to the problems outlined in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0VHC1-DO_8
Dios GX
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2010, 10:41:52 PM »

OH SHIT OBAMA'S GONNA GO METAL WOLF CHAOS

http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/05/30/gergen.oil.spill/index.html?hpt=C2

Not really but the news header is top notch stupidity. Also: what
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2010, 11:47:19 PM »

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2010, 12:09:11 AM »

Just had to point out, 4000+ hours in MS paint, and this is my masterpiece.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 12:11:37 AM by D. tnegA » Logged

TASTY!
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2010, 12:13:25 AM »

wat

also bp is being cute and pretending to try again with another idea that wont work

two problems with this pic

1. the water is blue when it should be black
2. where is the oil geyser

on the positive side of things there arent any fish in the pic since theyre all dead so at least they have a little attention to detail
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: