Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 05:37:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327820 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Food for FF7 Thought!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Food for FF7 Thought!  (Read 7638 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: May 31, 2010, 12:15:07 AM »

Wada apparently commented on this himself, and I'm paraphrasing: "An FF7 remake would take ten times as long as FF13".

I can see that.  Given the linear piece of shit the world of FF13 delivered us, and that took them 3-4 years, how would they make an entire world?  Does this sort of establish a new ground for RPGs?  Since attention to "sick detail" and graphics is so, so prioritized this generation, do we lose some of that hope of old world-map RPG goodness (let alone a FF7 remake in particular).

I think I can assume many of us would dig an FF7 remake - would it be worth sacrificing attention to graphical detail (knowing Squeenix would still pump in as much as they could) for the full game experience?  Or would you go for a remake in design (ie; point and click map).

Tales of Vesperia seemed to have pulled it off - but with lovely anime graphics that, lets assume, take no where near as much time as FF13's high level of graphics.

I did enjoy FF13 - but I am extremely disappointed with the end-product of so many years of "hard" work. 
Do you think Square Enix are just good at wasting time on less-important parts of the game (ie; graphics, extensive FMVs, battle system that is all over the place).

Sorry, I'm kind of all over the place with this topic... but I hope you get where I am going with this (I'm looking at YOU, pain in the ass RPGFan member people who love being smart asses).

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 12:20:54 AM »

Y'know, now that they "built" FFXIII, it would be awesome to release some sort of awesome expansion/DLC with just shit-tons of Gran Pulse exploration. I'd pay for it. A little Cocoon exploration wouldn't hurt either (if it worked in the context of the near/post endgame story...)

As for an FFVII remake taking forever. I dunno. It's like, the groundwork is already there. Just pretty it up. To take it to FFXIII level graphics I imagine it would take the same amount of time and effort as FFXIII, but not more. And you shouldn't have to sacrifice the "open world" aspect. As I mentioned in my recent retro review, I would argue that FFVII's "open-ness" is highly deceiving. You're on a fairly linear path until endgame anyway. I guess disc 2 is kind of open with the airship.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 12:25:24 AM »

I would dig an FF7 remake, not because I am a graphics whore - I just think it would be fun to see such a large part of my childhood being celebrated and given a makeover. Would they keep some of the things intact though? I mean, FF7 was probably the most sleazy of the franchise with the likes of Don Conero and his gang of raping thugs (also, sex dungeon and transvestitism.) More recent Final Fantasy's have never approached that again and I wonder if they would like to keep a squeaky-clean image.

It would be really, REALLY cool to fight the likes of Ruby Weapon and Emerald Weapon in this gen graphics, or even ps2 graphics. I still get a little thrill when diving in a submarine under the sea and shitting myself because Emerald weapon is 2 centimetres from my face and rapidly advancing.

But yes, I think FF7 being remade is a good thing. Though I am not hoping for the kind of detail that was put into Final Fantasy XIII, which was although a great technical feat, it didn't impress me anymore after a chapter or two.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 12:43:29 AM »

Fuck FF7. The game was good and it is over. Let's bring on new and better games.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 12:52:34 AM »

it would be nice to have that, even though almost all we seem to get these days are just remakes and nothing original
at least they have something to give them an assload of money in case they start getting into financial trouble

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 01:01:15 AM »

I think it's funny that the OP rips on FFXIII for being linear and then pretends that FF7 isn't just because it has a world map.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 01:03:32 AM »

I think it's funny that the OP rips on FFXIII for being linear and then pretends that FF7 isn't just because it has a world map.

Excellent point. Almost all JRPGs are linear. It's just the sidequests and little things that trick you into thinking otherwise.
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 01:08:32 AM »

Y'know, now that they "built" FFXIII, it would be awesome to release some sort of awesome expansion/DLC with just shit-tons of Gran Pulse exploration. I'd pay for it. A little Cocoon exploration wouldn't hurt either (if it worked in the context of the near/post endgame story...)

As for an FFVII remake taking forever. I dunno. It's like, the groundwork is already there. Just pretty it up. To take it to FFXIII level graphics I imagine it would take the same amount of time and effort as FFXIII, but not more. And you shouldn't have to sacrifice the "open world" aspect. As I mentioned in my recent retro review, I would argue that FFVII's "open-ness" is highly deceiving. You're on a fairly linear path until endgame anyway. I guess disc 2 is kind of open with the airship.

http://kotaku.com/5471819/square-enix-has-no-plans-for-final-fantasy-xiii-dlc

I think square wants to forget 13 after all the time they've put into it.

At least 7 had optional places to gather more cutscenes/story (ie vincent's cave, wutai, zack, galinka crash site...) along with uber weapons. If they could repackage it, you would be a damn fool not to buy it.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 01:16:12 AM »

Here's the thing about 7: there are sidequests, secret characters, minigames, a ton of materia and items to find in secret dungeons, etc. 13 has none of these. Instead it just throws a datalog at the player and expects him/her to keep up by reading it constantly.

Maybe SE should just concentrate on making non shitty games.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 01:16:57 AM »

Excellent point. Almost all JRPGs are linear. It's just the sidequests and little things that trick you into thinking otherwise.

OP mentions now that FF13 was basically void of any good sidequests.  FF13 was a line, and Pulse was a poor excuse to deviate from that (because, after youre done, you commence with the line again).

It was more than a world map, it was a sidequest to hit up wutai, it was an optional boss in the sea, and it was gold saucer.  Unless you're happy with grinding for upgrading items, and fighting monsters, I was unfullfiled.

EDIT: damn... Thanks Lev, haha, I was a minute too late. =(

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 01:44:55 AM »

Fuck FF7. The game was good and it is over. Let's bring on new and better games.

This, seriously. Look, if they're going to put the same amount of time and effort into remaking that as they did developing FFXIII in the first place then that's time better spent developing a game with at least the same gameplay scope as FFVII. If I'm going to wait that long on a game I want something new, fresh, and exciting, not a game I've played through before prettied up, and it seems more feasible now that the development tools are complete. All I want from FFVII at this point is a translation that isn't an embarrassment, and a less time consuming remake or simply a port would be sufficient for that end; a port may be more ideal anyway because some of the original's charm would undoubtedly be lost. Not that I'm sure what it could be ported to though, not unless the 3DS has grotesquely larger carts.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 01:52:51 AM »

OK, I don't like to talk too much about Final Fantasy. But here's my little opinion about Final Fantasy XIII and the series in general.

...Final Fantasy XIII is an hilariously bad RPG, and a mess of a video game. It's pretty, the soundtrack is gorgeous but that's it. That's the only thing that I can say about the game, and sorry for having a different opinion.

About the future, I'm only seeing remakes, bad and good spin-offs and enjoyable music for the future of the series (and maybe, Final Fantasy Versus XIII ends up being a good game, who knows).

Final Fantasy VII was good, mind blowing for others. And the fact that people can't forget about the game and his "awesomeness" is making impossible for Square Enix to move on. I mean, there's still people out there debating if Final Fantasy VII is the best game ever.

C'mon! ._.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 02:00:20 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 02:08:25 AM »

Wada apparently commented on this himself, and I'm paraphrasing: "An FF7 remake would take ten times as long as FF13".

I can see that.  Given the linear piece of shit the world of FF13 delivered us, and that took them 3-4 years, how would they make an entire world?  Does this sort of establish a new ground for RPGs?  Since attention to "sick detail" and graphics is so, so prioritized this generation, do we lose some of that hope of old world-map RPG goodness (let alone a FF7 remake in particular).

Pretty much why I've decided to give in and buy a PSP.  I think most of the old-school games I like will be handhelds now a days.

I've read somewhere where Wada said how difficult towns are to create in HD.   I'm sure that plays into it as well somehow.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 03:59:26 AM »

Two things.

First, FFXIII was an awesome tech demo. Just imagine a game made with that kind of technology?

Second, should Squediosnix ever bother to remake FFVII, they're going to remake it so hard it'll make Sword of Mana look like a 1:1 faithful adaption. They've already retconned the plot and characters to hell and back with all the spinoffs and movie. And just imagine how the gameplay will be updated to fit with modern standards?

Standards like identical (or possibly nearly identical) License Boards for everybody, farming ultra-MMO-rare Materia Shards from enemies for refining into usable Materia, Achievements involving getting nine copies of every Master Materia (including KotR with its AP for Mastery Requirement being double that of the second highest AP for Mastery Requirement), a much more deep and involved Chocobo Breeding sequence, extended Cloud x Barret scenes, extended TRAGIC backstory of why that guy calling himself Dark Lord is merely misunderstood, extended Cloud x Sephiroth scenes, remixed music and themes featuring 100% more J-Pop, a dozen new WEAPONS to fight (with over a billion HP apiece, and some come in multiple pieces), a couple of new post game dungeons made entirely of reused assets and endless mazes filled to the brim with endgame boss level enemies, and a shiny new strongest weapon in the game sitting at the end of all of this if you can make it to the end in under 9 hours.

That is all.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 08:27:56 AM »

This, seriously. Look, if they're going to put the same amount of time and effort into remaking that as they did developing FFXIII in the first place then that's time better spent developing a game with at least the same gameplay scope as FFVII. If I'm going to wait that long on a game I want something new, fresh, and exciting, not a game I've played through before prettied up, and it seems more feasible now that the development tools are complete.

I'm hopping on this bandwagon as well.  I played FF7 multiple times already, I recognize its historical place in RPG culture, I want to look to the future.  And I'll be honest, I think that because FF7's been retconned to death over the past few years it's becoming a bit of a farce (or at least more of a farce than it already might have been.)  I understand that nostalgia is a powerful trend right now because times are stilly shitty and people want that escapism to the past when times were good, but that's not going to get anyone anywhere.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 08:30:19 AM by Dincrest » Logged

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: