Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 04:08:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334755 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Food for FF7 Thought!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Food for FF7 Thought!  (Read 7876 times)
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 08:43:02 AM »

Final Fantasy XIII is the Star Wars prequel trilogy of the Final Fantasy series.

There, I said it.
Tailzo
RPG fan from Norway

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 09:33:17 AM »

As musch as I'd like to see FF7 getting a makeover, so that my ife would finally stomach the graphics and play it, I'd rather get a hole new game. A whole new rpg game with an overorld map and tons to visit.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 10:05:53 AM »

A remake would rake in cash for Squeenix like crazy though.  I'd sure as hell buy a copy.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 10:57:47 AM »

A remake would rake in cash for Squeenix like crazy though.  I'd sure as hell buy a copy.

Thats why the issue is constantly brought up.  Even if there ARE a bunch who would prefer a new game, are you telling me you would't buy the enhanced remake?  If you have the will-power, alright, kudos to you - but the thing is the demand behind this product.

I'm mostly worried about the state of more typical RPGs in general.  I consider it one reason behind why Tales of Vesperia was being so loved - but it is hard to render a pretty enough world map, and it is hard to render a nice enough town.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 12:23:54 PM »

It's no secret that nostalgia is a powerful trend right now and the media is cashing in on it.  I mean, look at all those remakes of 1980s movies coming out.  Most of them aren't good, but even I'll admit that the new Karate Kid movie with Jaden Smith and Jacky Chan looks like fun.  Heck, it should at least be better than the bleh Karate Kid III and The Next Karate Kid, right?

Of course, I'm probably the exception rather than the rule in that I'd rather show monetary love for something new.  The last Square Enix game I bought new was The World Ends With You, and it was great.  Sure I could go out with an ex again since we're familiar, but there's a reason I left her in the past and would rather chance a first date with a new girl.  It could be great, it could be disastrous, but it's an adventure.  If I keep holding a torch for the ex, then I'll never move forward.  But that also may be my line of thinking as a reviewer.  Even others on staff could tell you that I'm one of the "wingmen" who'll play the games no one else wants to. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2010, 12:34:50 PM »

I think it's funny that the OP rips on FFXIII for being linear and then pretends that FF7 isn't just because it has a world map.

I was going to say the same thing. I have no issue with world maps or point and click style maps. World maps with random encounters though should go away, because they're just annoying and are a time waster when I'm trying to get to my next destination.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2010, 12:54:12 PM »

Final Fantasy XIII is the Star Wars prequel trilogy of the Final Fantasy series.

There, I said it.

Visually it pulls a hell of a lot from Star Wars I - III.

But it also pulls from Star Wars IV - VI. Seriously, "scarred cocoon" = half-rebuilt Death Star in RotJ.

Of course, FF has been borrowing from Star Wars for a long time now.

But I know that's not your point. Your point is that the Star Wars prequel trilogy sucks but is pretty, and FFXIII is in the same position.

I suppose I have to agree. Though I do like playing around on Pulse.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2010, 01:58:44 PM »

What surprises me is that the last remnant had a shit load of towns with huge detail and some of them where actually hidden! They created towns just for sidequests and one of them is actually the most beautiful in the entire game! I know that the unreal engine was easy to develop for but man, saying that it woud take 30 years is ridiculous.
But yeah, it's funny how something as simple as a world map was able to disguise the linearity so well, where else could you go whenever you stepped out of a town except for the place where the plot wanted you to go next? Running around in miniature forests getting into random battles?

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2010, 02:05:51 PM »

They should remake FF9.Now that classic deserves an HD or at least a PSP upgrade.

As for FF7,Square is just acting stupid on making it work.They know demand is high and avoid it.Morons took over Square.Enix is doing ok as long as Level 5 is making Dragon Quest for them

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2010, 02:42:05 PM »

They should remake FF9.

Shut your whore mouth! D:<

I'm sorry, But I don't want to see more remakes or seeing people wanting more remakes... where is the passion of playing something new? Let the classics rest in peace.

This whole generation of: "Remakes are great, because we are playing with your childhood memories and we are getting money of it" is getting really stupid.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2010, 02:54:57 PM »

Occassionally a remake is nice, I'd certainly want one for Metroid 2. Of course that's the other thing, Metroid 2's horribly flawed and hard to go back to in light of its immediate successor, while Metroid 1 was expertly recreated with Metroid: Zero Mission. It probably wouldn't take an unreasonable amount of time as long as it was a DS game of similar scope to the last 3 2D Metroids, and counting Zero Mission as replacing Metroid 1 it's the only entry that's in dire need of a tune up.

Of course, Zero Mission works so well BECAUSE it's effectively a new game building off of the original's basic foundation, and most of the people who are likely to clamor for remakes of their favorites would more likely cry for a Super Metroid remake instead.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2010, 03:10:02 PM »

Of course, Zero Mission works so well BECAUSE it's effectively a new game building off of the original's basic foundation, and most of the people who are likely to clamor for remakes of their favorites would more likely cry for a Super Metroid remake instead.

Don't even have to fully remake it. Could just do an "HD port" like we've seen with so many other 16- and 32-bit games. Touch up the sprites, maybe beef up the soundtrack, and keep the rest the same. :)

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2010, 03:18:32 PM »

You know what pissed me off, Eusis? When people scream for remakes of good games that don't really need one. The remake of my beloved Metal Gear Solid for the GameCube was okay, but we didn't really need one (but it's cool for the fans of the series like me).

But one of the "remakes" that make me go mad was the reimagining of the first Silent Hill game, I wanted an awesome remake for the original Silent Hill so bad for the anniversary of the series at that time... but then I remembered that the original team was no longer making new games since Silent Hill 4.

Then they a announce this crap of Shattered Memories, I was so mighty furious for like the whole day. After that, I learned that a remake it will never be as good as the classic if the original staff (or part of it) is involved in the project.

And that's why reading all this huge mess with the Final Fantasy VII remake make smile so damn much, These fans do not know what they are demanding.

Also, a remake of Metroid 2 would be nice. But I rather see new things for the Metroid series.
Rapturous
RPGFan Editor

Life is happiness

MyVoiceHurts
View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2010, 04:05:29 PM »

Don't hire movie directors to make video games.  That is all.

As for FFVII, I'm sure the desire is there, but as Wada seems to have said, it's not a wise investment.  It'd sell like hot cakes, too, but time/labor = !!!

Also, if it took that long, it'd hit SE's ability to create other masterpieces (when was the last one...?)

A life lived for others is a life worthwhile.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2010, 04:34:34 PM »

Don't even have to fully remake it. Could just do an "HD port" like we've seen with so many other 16- and 32-bit games. Touch up the sprites, maybe beef up the soundtrack, and keep the rest the same. :)

Nintendo would still need to put out an HD system to make that kind of effort really mean something, at this point it'd be the same as remaking an Xbox title on the 360. However, even those can miss the point.

But one of the "remakes" that make me go mad was the reimagining of the first Silent Hill game, I wanted an awesome remake for the original Silent Hill so bad for the anniversary of the series at that time... but then I remembered that the original team was no longer making new games since Silent Hill 4.

Did you actually play it though?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: