Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 01:42:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330166 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Food for FF7 Thought!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Food for FF7 Thought!  (Read 7714 times)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2010, 05:31:11 PM »

Also, if it took that long, it'd hit SE's ability to create other masterpieces (when was the last one...?)

The World Ends With You?

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2010, 07:16:01 PM »

I must be nuts. Am I the only one who thinks FF7 wasn't the second coming of Jesus?

I mean, it's a very, VERY good game. I would definitely call it a watershed game in terms of next gen RPGs, but I don't consider it the best game ever. I thought a few of the side characters were shallow, and the story was good, but not gripping for me. I think making a HD version of it is somewhat of a waste because NO one will be satisfied with it. There's such a high nostalgia factor going into this that I don't think anyone will be satisfied. If you change too much, you ruin the nostalgia. If you change too little, you're wallowing in a stagnant pool of 1990's mechanics and old school.

Also somewhat on topic...I actually (tiny voice) didn't mind FF13. I don't consider it the worst game in the FF franchise. Sure it was linear as hell, but the battle system interested me far more than FF12's.

The worst FF game goes to FF2. I mean c'mon. YET THEY KEEP REMAKING THAT. Maybe it's time for new games.

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2010, 07:54:57 PM »

Square Enix needs to make an RPG where it continues the format that FF6 through FF9 (or FFX) followed.

Make a fun turn based system that isnt this pseudo MMO shit, let ATB be able to be toggled on or off, let the player control his entire party without bullshit, have a world map or area selection that doesnt suck, have story and characters that matter all the way through, shit..

Is it that hard to make a Final Fantasy game that doesn't suck ass these days? We haven't had a good one in 10 years.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2010, 08:49:19 PM »

Square Enix needs to make an RPG where it continues the format that FF6 through FF9 (or FFX) followed.

Make a fun turn based system that isnt this pseudo MMO shit, let ATB be able to be toggled on or off, let the player control his entire party without bullshit, have a world map or area selection that doesnt suck, have story and characters that matter all the way through, shit..

Is it that hard to make a Final Fantasy game that doesn't suck ass these days? We haven't had a good one in 10 years.

Amen.

Though maybe they have forgotten by now what it means to make a good turn-based game. All their recent best sellers and ones who have had the highest acclaim have come from their action-rpg titles. I guess that is just the direction they are going now.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2010, 09:21:18 PM »

What they really need to do is get rid of Nomura. The company's games have slowly gone downhill since he started taking the helm of many of them.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2010, 09:22:37 PM »

...except The World Ends With You.  In that game, Nomura's art direction actually worked really well.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2010, 10:01:34 PM »

Speak for yourself, for me FFXII was one of better entries and FFXIII was still, well, good at least. Even FFX-2 I want to give a second chance sometime.

I must be nuts. Am I the only one who thinks FF7 wasn't the second coming of Jesus?

Don't worry you're not alone there... though I probably wouldn't be clamoring for a remake even if I felt that way. Super Metroid is one of my favorite games, and you probably saw what I said there.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2010, 10:02:47 PM »

What they really need to do is get rid of Nomura. The company's games have slowly gone downhill since he started taking the helm of many of them.

I don't know, it feels like the problem goes deeper than just Nomura's designs. Maybe Toriyama needs to take a break. Shit, bring back Kitase!
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2010, 10:04:02 PM »

Come on Eusis, how can you possibly say that FF12 was even comparable to 6 through 10? The game had decent gameplay but the story was a hollow shell of a plot and the characters had the personality of a furby.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2010, 10:07:20 PM »

Story's really not the priority it was for me 10 years ago.
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2010, 10:22:43 PM »

Wada apparently commented on this himself, and I'm paraphrasing: "An FF7 remake would take ten times as long as FF13".

If it takes that long, then I want FF7 In 4D. I want to be able to smell those Chocobo sandwiches.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2010, 11:11:43 PM »

Story's really not the priority it was for me 10 years ago.

Still, if you judge the game objectively you should be able to agree that it was rubbish.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2010, 11:13:58 PM »

Not really. I liked it more than VII, VIII, and X.

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2010, 11:39:48 PM »

You are all impure heathens

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2010, 11:45:59 PM »

You're just pissed because the game didn't have 16 year olds with huge breasts.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: