Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 03:41:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318867 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  A thought about "Trophies"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: A thought about "Trophies"  (Read 2985 times)
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 31, 2010, 02:56:26 PM »

Trophies, right? Y'know, the little thing that proves you did something in a game. People sure seem obsessed with them. But, you know, I can recall a time a game did that long ago... what was it...

You know, I dunno about others, but I thought this image in question was subject to utter ridicule and a lot of scorn. It seems to me that the most "prestigious" thing you can do in games these days is get all achievements or "The Platty" (This is not an actual name, it is something I made up.) I'm not here to rant about how they've destroyed games or blah blah blah, I'm more interested if people's gaming focuses have changed, rather than games, which obviously have.

So, when you play games, are you more prone to do something if there is an achievement to be garnered from it, or do you just play the game and let them come naturally?
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 06:53:56 PM »

I play the game through and grab any achievements along the way, then go back for the harder ones later. They're especially fun in certain games like Crackdown and stuff like that.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 06:58:45 PM »

Depends on the game.

If it's something like Civilization Revolution where getting all the achievements involves beating the game on its hardest setting and things of that nature, I go for it.

If it's some bullshit like Final Fantasy XIII where I have to grind like it's a fucking MMO for about 500 hours for the sake of a trophy, hell no.
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 07:20:16 PM »

I find that achievements/trophies will sometimes have me going out of my way to do something that seems fun/wacky but rarely does it change or affect how I play or what I buy. I know people that buy/rent games solely because of easy achievements, for this one just has to look at anyone that owns Avatar the Last Airbender on 360.

I do have to make a concession for certain types of games, RPGs I don't care about that stuff at all, if I get any then yay, otherwise I don't care. Whereas in a openworld game the prospect of additional things to do in a certain way can sometimes add actual gameplay time that I will put into it. Regularly I beat a game when I beat the end boss/do all the quests/etc, so I'm done when that happens, not when I complete some arbitrarily chosen tasks by the developer

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 07:50:14 PM »

I like the concept of Trophies, but I don't think they're entirely necessary.

Trophies give me an incentive to finish of some of the side quests I wouldn't normally bother with. Often after I finish the main storyline of a game I often don't go on to do post-game stuff unless I really loved it. But, at the same time, I get really annoyed when I didn't finish a game (because it was awful) and have a really low trophy score on my a profile. So it's a mixed bag for me.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 07:51:02 PM »

I couldn't care less about achievements.  The sole exception is the original Mass Effect, because many of them had an effect on the game itself,

Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 08:32:36 PM »

I agree with Parn 100% on this. If its reasonable than why not, it helps to extend the game a bit (Bayonetta is the only game I have a platinum on, and I loved every second getting those trophies). But if its something stupid like Assassins Creed 2's collect all the feathers or Nier's level every weapon to max, no thank you, that turns having fun into something you begrudgingly have to do.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 08:33:06 PM »

I never really liked to waste time with ultimate bosses like omega weapon since "bragging rights" isn't an incentive prize for me.  Or when you beat Ragu Ragula in Wild Arms, you get a Sherriff Star.  Sure it seems like a pretty good prize, but given that you beat the hardest boss in the game without it, it's pretty much just a useless trinket.  

As others said, if achievements and stuff like that have a tangible effect on my in-game experience then maybe I'll do some.

I approve of this nonsense!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 09:12:01 PM »

I find achievements give me more playtime from a game. For example, without achievements I never would've gone through Mass Effect 2 on insanity, which was some of the most fun I've had with a game, ever.

Achievements also indulge the OCD inside me, so... yeah.

Cait Sith
Roll the Dice

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 02:56:16 PM »

Im a raging completionist, and was long before trophies, but to me, trophies in games are just another thing I have to complete, kinda like a side quest. So either way, they make no difference to me.

Currently Playing: Resonance of Fate

PSN: jasonpudd
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 03:11:32 PM »

If they're reasonably achievable and especially if they make me play the game in a new and interesting fashion then I'll make an effort. Gears of War 2 for example gives achievements for the number of kills you have with a weapon, so I'd actually make the effort to use each weapon rather than sticking with one or two favorites. I have yet to actually clear out a game of achievements (though I could probably do it for the XBLA if I just beat the game with Richter), and as Parn pointed FFXIII is an awful example of them. Too many of them require going for items I'd disregard anyway without achievements/trophies, and this time it requires a lot of grinding with an unreliable drop. Screw that.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 05:03:10 PM »

Depends on the game.

If it's something like Civilization Revolution where getting all the achievements involves beating the game on its hardest setting and things of that nature, I go for it.

If it's some bullshit like Final Fantasy XIII where I have to grind like it's a fucking MMO for about 500 hours for the sake of a trophy, hell no.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 09:02:14 PM »

If they're reasonably achievable and especially if they make me play the game in a new and interesting fashion then I'll make an effort. Gears of War 2 for example gives achievements for the number of kills you have with a weapon, so I'd actually make the effort to use each weapon rather than sticking with one or two favorites. I have yet to actually clear out a game of achievements (though I could probably do it for the XBLA if I just beat the game with Richter), and as Parn pointed FFXIII is an awful example of them. Too many of them require going for items I'd disregard anyway without achievements/trophies, and this time it requires a lot of grinding with an unreliable drop. Screw that.

Compared to most RPG's FFXIII is quite easy. You can do the platinum in around 90 hours if you're smart. Games like SO4 are the ridiculous ones to trophy.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 09:58:42 PM »

For the most part I ignore trophies.  I get the ones I get when I play the game normally and that's it.  Not surprisingly, I've yet to platinum a single game this way, and I probably never will...

I play games to have fun, not for bragging rights in some virtual dick-measuring contest.  Also, my game-playing time is extremely limited these days and I consider it an achievement (no pun intended...) if I can even finish the games I buy.  Once I have finished a game I will move on to the next game, as lord knows I have a large enough backlog.

Side rant:  If you are going to have trophies/achievements with requirements like 'kill n dudes with weapon x' then those requirements should be listed in-game.  Half of this trophy/achievement business seems like an excuse to sell guides to me...

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 10:14:08 PM »

I would only go after trophies if it had some sort of in-game effect. Otherwise I don't really care because I am not a completionist and I am not an online gamer who cares about stats.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: