Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 03:42:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338690 Posts in 13864 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  A thought about "Trophies"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: A thought about "Trophies"  (Read 3143 times)
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2010, 02:31:34 AM »

I think games should adapt a better spread of achievement difficulties. Megaman 10 for has a pretty good spread, with only one achievement off the top of my head that only nuts would get (Mr. Perfect).

That being said, pretty much on ship with Parn, unless I really like the game/might enjoy the insanely hard achievement in some way.

I do feel it's a bit lazy to only put in "chapter complete" achievements though, like with PSU or something.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2010, 02:45:04 AM »

Well, I just concentrate in enjoying the game the way I want... I don't need that the game tell what to do in order to have more fun out of it. Also, It distracts me from playing when "X Trophy" appears out of nowhere when I'm playing.

Now, if I really like the game maybe I'll try to get the Platinum thingy. But it's a game, so who cares.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2010, 10:21:38 AM »

For the most part I ignore trophies.  I get the ones I get when I play the game normally and that's it.  Not surprisingly, I've yet to platinum a single game this way, and I probably never will...

I play games to have fun, not for bragging rights in some virtual dick-measuring contest.  Also, my game-playing time is extremely limited these days and I consider it an achievement (no pun intended...) if I can even finish the games I buy.  Once I have finished a game I will move on to the next game, as lord knows I have a large enough backlog.

Side rant:  If you are going to have trophies/achievements with requirements like 'kill n dudes with weapon x' then those requirements should be listed in-game.  Half of this trophy/achievement business seems like an excuse to sell guides to me...

That's my biggest issue with achievements, is the secret ones that you would never come across without a guide. I can understand story based ones being secret, because you'll eventually get them.
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2010, 01:46:50 PM »

Meh, I like secrets in games. It gives that "secret club" vibe to it. If you solve it on your own, you get into the club末other people have to get back stage passes, but I'm a straight VIP, bitch.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2010, 02:17:02 PM »

I just play the game and let the achievements come naturally. After I beat the game and if I want to play it again, achievements, side quests and stuff like secret missions (Devil May Cry), hidden mantra (Digital Devil Saga) and Magatama (Nocturne) make a replay more appealing.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2010, 07:45:38 PM »

Meh, I like secrets in games. It gives that "secret club" vibe to it. If you solve it on your own, you get into the club末other people have to get back stage passes, but I'm a straight VIP, bitch.

I can see both sides of the arguement. It is cool to unlock a secret achievement all by yourself, but in terms of achievements and trophies lending to more playability, well if you don't know what you're suppose to achieve, why would you play more?
Dios GX
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 12:56:01 AM »

You misunderstand. I think trophies and achievements cheapen games. This isn't even a matter of reading. I posted a plain-as-day picture in the OP regarding my stance on it, and then you post this. Why do you do this to me. Do you want me to get an aneurysm?

Secrets ≠ achievements.

Let's be straight about something, when Banjo-Kazooie first tantilized players with its forbidden ice key and its secret God Eggs, everybody was endlessly trying every fucking thing to discover how to obtain them. It came to the point that 90% of all the hidden passwords you could enter in the temple by ground-pounding were discovered even years later. I am talking about secrets hidden in games that are discovered and shared by players末not people who were told where to go and what to do, which is exactly what achievements have caused to become, and I do not use this word lightly, "acceptable" on a wide scale.

So it's not an issue of you being unable to read, or being blind, you're just plain incompetent. Now that I've spelled it out, I await you to further prove you fail at games in your hopeful response!

Cheers, jerkface!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 12:59:39 AM by Dios GX » Logged
Dios GX
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2010, 01:02:37 AM »

Btw, I just want to say, have any of you clowns ever actually beaten the first Super Mario Bros? By the sounds of these posts, I'm guessing warps were used, provided you wangchungs even completed it at all.

So if you guys can't even complete the Crown Jewels of video gaming, why do you think you're allowed to even speak in my divine presence? I swear, you guys just are so irritating sometimes.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2010, 02:48:33 AM »

... What the hell? That's a little extreme of a response, but anyways:

I am talking about secrets hidden in games that are discovered and shared by players末not people who were told where to go and what to do, which is exactly what achievements have caused to become, and I do not use this word lightly, "acceptable" on a wide scale.

This has more to do with the nature of the internet, which achievements are just a byproduct of. I've seen someone point out how something like the rare drops in FFIV (the tails by Jellies, secret summons) in Final Fantasy IV were a good design choice for the time, you'd have some guys find it and get an awesome armor out of it, who could brag about this unbelievable secret that their friends probably won't even believe because it's that rare. Nowadays you'd have everyone griping that it was too damn hard to find because word would spread of it on the internet whereas this kind of interaction wasn't possible when the game came out, and thus only your pocket of friends and those who've managed to dig up the information out of a magazine or a guide would know about it.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 03:26:57 AM by Eusis » Logged
Dios GX
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2010, 05:06:39 AM »

Nowadays you'd have everyone griping that it was too damn hard to find because word would spread of it on the internet whereas this kind of interaction wasn't possible when the game came out, and thus only your pocket of friends and those who've managed to dig up the information out of a magazine or a guide would know about it.

There's something to be said about going too far regarding secrets in games. The gold skulls in Halo 3 come to mind. The I Would Have Been Your Daddy one sticks out the most. God... who thought that was a good idea? Ugh.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2010, 10:39:41 AM »

You need to take drugs for that obvious case of manic depression. Or, you know, at least see a psychiatrist.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 10:46:07 AM by Leyviur » Logged

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2010, 12:13:48 PM »

You misunderstand. I think trophies and achievements cheapen games. This isn't even a matter of reading. I posted a plain-as-day picture in the OP regarding my stance on it, and then you post this. Why do you do this to me. Do you want me to get an aneurysm?

Secrets ≠ achievements.

Let's be straight about something, when Banjo-Kazooie first tantilized players with its forbidden ice key and its secret God Eggs, everybody was endlessly trying every fucking thing to discover how to obtain them. It came to the point that 90% of all the hidden passwords you could enter in the temple by ground-pounding were discovered even years later. I am talking about secrets hidden in games that are discovered and shared by players末not people who were told where to go and what to do, which is exactly what achievements have caused to become, and I do not use this word lightly, "acceptable" on a wide scale.

So it's not an issue of you being unable to read, or being blind, you're just plain incompetent. Now that I've spelled it out, I await you to further prove you fail at games in your hopeful response!

Cheers, jerkface!

I was talking about secret achievements and trohpies, and you follow up talking about how you like secrets in games...are not achievements and trophies part of the game?

And yes I have beaten SMB, I even played it in the arcade way back in the day. How about the pink tail in FF4? Even the most secret things were spread through the gaming community if you had a friend who had a video game mag subscription. You think anyone would've figured out the pink tail on their own? Maybe a few...but is not players sharing secrets just telling other players what to go do?
Dios GX
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2010, 12:19:04 PM »

You need to take drugs for that obvious case of manic depression. Or, you know, at least see a psychiatrist.
Seen about eight, been in a mental ward末nothing seems to fix it. No big, even being batshit insane, I'm still the greatest video game destroyer to ever live. I could totally beat Jimmy from The Wizard, even.

I was talking about secret achievements and trohpies, and you follow up talking about how you like secrets in games...are not achievements and trophies part of the game?
And I was talking about this and you were talking about that And I was talking about this and you were talking about that And I was talking about this and you were talking about that And I was talking about this and you were talking about that And I was talking about this and you were talking about that And I was talking about this and you were talking about that And I was talking about this and you were talking about that And I was talking about this and you were talking about that And I was talking about this and you were talking about that And I was talking about this and you were talking about that And I was talking about this and you were talking about that And I was talking about this and you were talking about that And I was talking about this and you were talking about that And I was talking about this and you were talking about that And I was talking about this and you were talking about that And I was talking about this and you were talking about that And I was talking about this and you were talking about that And I was talking about this and you were talking about that And I was talking about this and you were talking about that And I was talking about this and you were talking about that And I was talking about this and you were talking about that And I was talking about this and you were talking about that And I was talking about this and you were talking about that And I was talking about this and you were talking about that And I was talking about this and you were talking about that And I was talking about this and you were talking about that And I was talking about this and you were talking about that And I was talking about this and you were talking about that And I was talking about this and you were talking about that And I was talking about this and you were talking about that

Just trying what you did. It seem like it doesn't work or serve any purpose, much like you.

And yes I have beaten SMB, I even played it in the arcade way back in the day.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH SHIT GUYS WATCH OUT, HE PLAYED THE REAL ONE, HE'S BETTER THAN EVERYBODY NOW. But that's not the case, because I reign. They say Denial is the first stage.

How about the pink tail in FF4? Even the most secret things were spread through the gaming community if you had a friend who had a video game mag subscription. You think anyone would've figured out the pink tail on their own? Maybe a few...but is not players sharing secrets just telling other players what to go do?
No, it's not the same at all. It adds a dynamic element to it as it pertains to the individual. When another person can help someone solve a puzzle, that is a manner of connection between two people. It is very much not a person and a machine or a book.

But it's perfectly fine. The vast majority here have proven they utterly fail at playing games, being human beings, or having a conversation about Maze of Galious. I still can't see why so many people suck so hard at games these days. Gosh, it's SO HARD being the best, lemme tell ya.
Redeemed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »

For the most part I ignore trophies.  I get the ones I get when I play the game normally and that's it.  Not surprisingly, I've yet to platinum a single game this way, and I probably never will...

I play games to have fun, not for bragging rights in some virtual dick-measuring contest.  Also, my game-playing time is extremely limited these days and I consider it an achievement (no pun intended...) if I can even finish the games I buy.  Once I have finished a game I will move on to the next game, as lord knows I have a large enough backlog.

Side rant:  If you are going to have trophies/achievements with requirements like 'kill n dudes with weapon x' then those requirements should be listed in-game.  Half of this trophy/achievement business seems like an excuse to sell guides to me...

Totally agree with this. Seems like trophies are too often used as an artificial way to boost game length. Hardly have time (or much desire) to play games much these days, let alone do boring, repetitive tasks in an attempt to get some meaningless achievement.

But it's perfectly fine. The vast majority here have proven they utterly fail at playing games, being human beings, or having a conversation about Maze of Galious. I still can't see why so many people suck so hard at games these days. Gosh, it's SO HARD being the best, lemme tell ya.
I feel sad for you that you seem to base the worth of yourself and others on videogame ability. You *must* realize how incredibly stupid your above comments sound. I hope you are not as socially isolated as your comments seem to imply. 
Jonio

yayuh!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2010, 03:39:09 PM »

ITT people completely misinterpreting hyperbole, missing the point, getting trolled SUPER hard, and not even giving games a decent try.

Bravo, gentlemen. Bravo.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: