Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 06:11:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331690 Posts in 13580 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  "Jersey shore," creator says, "is a herpes nest."
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: "Jersey shore," creator says, "is a herpes nest."  (Read 3345 times)
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 04, 2010, 12:44:59 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2010/06/04/jersey-shore-herpes-valtrex-std/?test=faces

So, all of these smug-looking, smartass kids are force-fed anti-STD pills like candy.

I thought reality TV was because it was cheaper. This does not sound cheap. This sounds very expensive and like they are trying to broadcast aids over TV.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 01:30:53 PM »

You start tossing medication recklessly at people like that, and you're gonna end up with some drug-resistant bacteria running rampant through those sets.

Dincrest
A-class rider (in training)
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 04:00:35 PM »

I was completely unaware that Jersey Shore was about desis. :P  

http://remotecontrol.mtv.com/2010/06/03/hot-shots-behind-the-scenes-pics-from-mtvs-jersey-shore-shoot/

And, yes, it is rather disgusting the way some people so indiscriminately sleep around.  Sex is wonderful and awesome, but use a little discretion and we won't have Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle strains of herpes mutated to resist nuclear fallouts. .  
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 04:06:03 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 05:02:11 PM »

How remarkably disturbing.
Goddammit - are these people so bored with their lives all there is left is sex, drugs, and clubbing?
Keep it in your pants for god's sake; especially if STDs are at such a great risk...

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 05:25:59 PM »

Jersey Shore? Your grandparents had weird taste in baby names.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Redeemed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 06:00:07 PM »

"Jersey shore," creator says, "is a herpes nest."

In other news, the sky is blue...
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 06:11:25 PM »

Goddammit - are these people so bored with their lives all there is left is sex, drugs, and clubbing?

You forgot about tanning.  Gotta have a side of skin cancer with your STDs, right? 

That reminds me, I think I need a tan.  I'm starting to look a little pale:P

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 06:38:08 PM »

Another depressing reality tv show that probably reflects a demographic with frightening accuracy. :P

You serious, Neal? I have Indian/Malay tone skin and looking pale is bad. I look downright unhealthy in the winter.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 06:52:54 PM »

Nuri, I'm joking (hence the :P).  Whenever I say that aloud to any of my friends, they always laugh.  

And I live in south Jersey and the cast does not reflect typical Jersey shore people at all.  Besides, all the cast are "gaijin" from New York and stuff who cause all the trouble, give the local scene a bad name, and ruin it for the rest of us.  The real Jersey shore people I know are just cool, laid back, down-to-earth, "real" people with *gasp* common sense and intelligence. Even the "hot chicks" here in south Jersey don't have 'tudes (or at least have less of a 'tude than some north Jersey "hot chicks" I used to know.)  

I wrote a blog/note inspired by Jersey shore in my Facebook and I like to think it's a thoughtful read.  I'll share it here:

When Dumbass TV Provokes Deeper Thoughts and Queries
Written by me, Jan 26, 2010

That Jersey Shore TV show. You can't go anywhere these days without someone talking about it. Whether I'm at work, at the gym, anywhere, it's talked about in the background. I generally don't like to watch a lot of TV, especially not MTV (which went downhill since the Riki Rachtman Headbanger's Ball said sayonara in 1995), but against my better judgment I actually listened to the Droopy Dog-esque voice inside my head saying, "What's all the hubbub, bub?" and sat down to watch an episode of that Jersey Shore thing everyone was talking about.

Yes, it was horrible. Yes, I felt dumber after watching it. Yes, I understand why so many people absolutely hate the show and are so up in arms about it. Yes, I would have rather been playing a good RPG like Valkyria Chronicles or Aldorlea's Millennium instead. But, this brief trip outside my comfort zone and into an hour of vapid tripe did actually provoke something thoughtful. Go figure, huh?

In the episode, I saw someone pulling out in a car with a blurred out New York license plate and I thought, "These representative/ambassador kIdDiEz aren't even from New Jersey. Don't that just beat all." So I got to thinking, in places with a reputation for hip, happening, anything-goes nightlife, from whom does the most problematic misbehavior usually start? And even deeper, from whom do people perceive does the most problematic misbehavior usually start?

Let's take Amsterdam, Holland for example. The nightlife there is very much anything-goes, but the people misbehaving the worst are probably not the Dutch people (the locals) but rather the visotors from neighboring countries like Germany or overseas countries like the US. In much the same way, I'll bet Jersey folks more local to the land/scene feel the same way. That, yes, the wild, anything-goes nightlife is freakin' awesome, till the "tourists" come in creating the kind of problematic ruckus that gets on the news and gives the scene a sordid name.

Perhaps that just boils down to the common sentiment of any local anywhere in the world groaning, "ugh, tourists" and visitor replying, "Damn xenophobes." Yeah, perish the thought a local isn't welcoming to a visitor because most folks don't really want to be labeled xenophobic. If you're really proud of something, you want to share it with others, right? Who doesn't want to show people outside their circle what makes your X, Y, or Z awesome? But sometimes it's hard not to feel a little xenophobic when you see visitors to your "land" behaving like hooligans and not completely respecting the culture of your land. Even in the most liberal of places and most open-minded of scenes, there is a code of etiquette.

So where do we draw the line in our minds? Being welcoming is important to entice people to check out your scene, but is having some xenophobia justified as well? Is having some xenophobia helpful to maintain the integrity of your land/scene/whatever? Or will it eventually become off-putting and perhaps slowly kill a scene due to the lack of an influx of fresh blood?

And this concludes yet another rambling from the mind of The Thoughtful Dumbass.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 09:12:02 AM by Dincrest » Logged

CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 07:00:41 PM »

I didn't really mean that the show reflected the Jersey Shore demographic so much as it reflected the whole "tanning clubbing sexed up" community. But that note was interesting to read. I can definitely relate when observing some tourists in Malaysia (although most I've met are respectful of our local customs-- I think that the more exotic the place, the more aware tourists can be of their actions).

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 07:07:49 PM »

But once again, that whole notion of defending one's homeland from the negative stereotypes perpetuated by media and stuff rings true here.  I'm certainly not above that.  

But I think that whole "hypersexed, clubbing, tanning/overgrooming, 8 hours at the gym" breed of douche can exist everywhere in the world. 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 07:09:40 PM by Dincrest » Logged

CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 07:12:59 PM »

They seem to be a universal demographic. :P

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 07:14:21 PM »

But once again, that whole notion of defending one's homeland from the negative stereotypes perpetuated by media and stuff rings true here.  I'm certainly not above that. 

But I think that whole "hypersexed, clubbing, tanning/overgrooming, 8 hours at the gym" breed of douche can exist everywhere in the world. 

I can confirm in both Scotland and Ireland.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2010, 10:51:11 AM »

Jersey Shore? Your grandparents had weird taste in baby names.

Because no one else said it yet, just wanted to give props for an excellent "your mom" joke.

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 12:12:21 PM »

I read that as "harpies nest" and got excited

SKREEEEEE
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: