Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2014, 05:12:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338315 Posts in 13850 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Hard Corps (Contra) Coming to PSN/XBLA by Arc System Works (Guilty Gear).
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Hard Corps (Contra) Coming to PSN/XBLA by Arc System Works (Guilty Gear).  (Read 2214 times)
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 04, 2010, 01:58:41 PM »

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/109/1094576p1.html

Contra: Hard Corps on the SEGA Genesis is one of my favorite Contra games. The enormous bosses, branching paths, and epic action sequences made for one of the most thrilling 16-bit experiences back in the day. So imagine my delight when Konami told me it is bringing the spiritual sequel to Contra: Hard Corps to Xbox Live Arcade and the PlayStation Network this year. Picture a more anime-styled Contra game with the word "Contra" removed from the title, and you're starting to get a good idea of what Hard Corps: Uprising is. Konami describes it as "homage to legacy Konami run-and-gun platformers," of which Contra is the most famous (although there is also Rush 'N Attack, which is getting a facelift this year, as well). I got to play a bit of Hard Corpse recently and came away excited.

Hard Corps: Uprising stars Colonel Bahamut, who, interestingly enough, was a bad guy in Contra: Hard Corps. For some reason or another he seems to have had a change of heart and is now battling against the aliens he was previously working with. He can be joined by a pal so that players can play cooperatively, both online and off. Unlike the Genesis Hard Corps, where we had four characters to choose from, here we just have two -- although Konami is looking into making additional downloadable characters available.

Hard Corps: Uprising
Gameplay is straight up what you would expect from Contra. You'll be running left to right through eight alien-infested stages blasting everything in your way, collecting familiar power-ups, and riding vehicles. One sequence I saw had Bahamut riding a motorbike while a flying saucer with legs chased after him. The boss of level one is, appropriately, a giant wall much like in the original Contra.

Arc System Works, that of BlazBlue and Guilty Gear fame, is developing Hard Corps -- which explains the new anime art style. Although it's a slight departure for the series I rather like it and it still undeniably looks like Contra.

Contra games are typically brutally difficult affairs where one bullet puts you in the grave. Hard Corps sticks to this tradition with its Arcade Mode, but also introduces a new Rising Mode. Rising lets you take three hits before losing a life, making for a considerably more forgiving game.

Hard Corps is set for a winter 2010 release.

Preview: http://xboxlivemedia.ign.com/xboxlive/image/article/109/1094572/hardcorps_1275595666.jpg

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 02:42:20 PM »

I hope I can get this, looks promising.
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 11:40:42 AM »

god, I love games like this!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 04:00:15 AM »

Gameplay video.

I will keep my eyes on this one. Also, the world needs a Mega Man game like this.
sagagadego09

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 12:44:20 AM »

nothing on the xbox website on this. hoping to download a trailer.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 07:48:06 PM »

confirmed that the composer is Arc System Works' in-house composer Daisuke Ishiwatari. :)

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 07:51:40 PM »

Sweet I love Daisuke kun's work.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 10:27:34 PM »

Nice. Now I'm more interested in the soundtrack that in the game.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 04:04:55 PM »

Sweet I love Daisuke kun's work.

i hate it but i think his work would suit a contra game well.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 12:48:36 PM »

They need to release the original Hard Corps on the Genesis for the Virtual Console ASAP!!!

Currently Playing-The Evil Within
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: