Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 02:48:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319719 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  "Men can't be sexist!!" + Indian Food Cuisine
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: "Men can't be sexist!!" + Indian Food Cuisine  (Read 8193 times)
Redeemed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2010, 07:28:21 PM »

Not really fond of saag. I mean it's just spinach and cream. WTF get that away from me >:C Also palak paneer or whatever the thing is that's basically saag with paneer in it.)

Oh man, Saag Paneer is my favorite. Also amazing: Kheer.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2010, 08:07:11 PM »

I'll have to try Malaysian food sometime too

Wondering if it might be similar to Indonesian food. AFAIK there's a lot of cultural overlap and stuff.

I haven't tried a LOT of Indonesian food but as I said I like the place I go to in columbus. They have this vegetarian meal combo that's like several things -- some sort of peanut and corn soup, some sort of spiced jackfruit thing that looks like meat but tastes like fruit, uh... fried potatoes, fried green beans, capcai... spring rolls... also fried tofu?

Oh and motherfucking kecap manis. It's this sweet soy sauce. You can put it on anything. I have never tried it on ice cream though... Fucking hell we have some soft serve in the fridge brb.

Wanna try mie goreng sometime. I think I can get it made vegetarian there but they still put egg in it and I don't really like egg scramblins.

---edit---

Just put kecap manis on ice cream. mind blown. need to pass out for awhile.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 08:13:01 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2010, 08:42:32 PM »

Indonesian food and Malaysian food are similar, definitely. There's a lot of Chinese, Indian and Thai influence in our cuisine. Culturally speaking, we share a lot of elements-- Indonesian and Malay are almost the same language spoken with different accents/slang. :P

My mom hates kicap manis! Still, we always have a bottle at home. It's delicious with Nasi Ayam (Chicken Rice, great comfort food) and when we were kids we'd mix it with scrambled eggs and rice. I've never thought to put it on ice cream but I'm definitely gonna try that now.

Mee Goreng is what we call a "poor man's dish" but not in a derogatory way. It's just cheap and easy to make. In primary schools, if there's a class party, somebody's parent is bound to bring Mee or Bee hoon goreng. If you like spicy food, you should try finding or making sambal-- basically a multi-purpose chili paste. It's perfect for mixing with fried rice. One of my favourites dishes is Ayam Sambal (fried chicken mixed with a lot of sambal).

I should really paste a Sambal recipe. That's how much I love it. Just need to coax it out of my bro. :D

EDIT: Just noticed the awesome change of topic title!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 09:05:54 PM by CastNuri » Logged

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2010, 09:29:10 PM »

When I was in primary school I remember a girl Lucky Sing bringing in some sort of sweet indian snack that was awesome. I really wish I could remember what it was called cause apparently I can still remember it 10 years later.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2010, 09:30:19 PM »

Describe it, maybe?

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2010, 09:33:44 PM »

It looked like it was made out of vegetables cut into little slivers and rolled up into a ball. It was orange, yellow and a little red and was sticky. Like a kind of paste but not as fine. It was very sweet had a little spice through it as well.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2010, 09:35:10 PM »

Possibly a jilebi?  I used to like those as a kid, but not so much now.  Too sticky sweet.  Gulab Jamun too is insanely sticky sweet.  My favorite Indian sweet is mysoorpag, a south Indian sweet.  It's sweet, but not cloying. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 09:39:33 PM by Dincrest » Logged

I approve of this nonsense!
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2010, 09:36:58 PM »

Also, @indian food.

WTF up w/ edible silver?

o/` I do not dream o/`

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2010, 09:38:01 PM »

It's not uncommon for high end Indian food to use edible gold flake and stuff. 

I approve of this nonsense!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2010, 09:39:43 PM »

A lot of food nowadays contains gold leaf and such.

Anyway, I ended up twittering a friend who I went to school with and it turned out it was something called Moong dal halwa.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2010, 11:15:09 PM »

EDIT: Just noticed the awesome change of topic title!

Haha glad I could help; I approve of this!  I'm hungry

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2010, 11:26:02 PM »

Is that the more puddingy stuff or the one that's sort of like sweet couscous?

Also the name just reminded me of halva which is this pretty good middle eastern sesame fudge thing. It tastes kind of like butterfinger without the chocolate.

Anyway I know vegetarians kind of get a reputation for being picky eaters bug I actually got less picky about food once I went vegetarian. I'll pretty much eat anything that doesn't have meat (with a few exceptions. I think firm tofu is *really, really gross*. Also things with excessive amounts of lemon grass although I'm not convinced I don't have a mild allergic reaction to that).

In other words, I can't pronounce half of the stuff I eat, and that's okay. Unless I got to an ethnic restaurant because I totally end up pronouncing things wrong. Although I figured I'd sound like a douche if I TRIED to say it with an accent or whatever, so I mean, I'm pretty sure kerala probably doesn't sound that much like koala, but if I have to use damnable Ohioan accent at least I'm not puttin' on.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2010, 11:45:08 PM »

Yeah, it's like a puddingy porridgey thing made from ground lentils, sugar and milk. I watched a youtube video of a woman making it, it looks similar to the one my classmate brought to school when I was younger only less colourful. I think her mum put carrots and apple shavings through it.

Certainly was yummy though.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2010, 11:52:59 PM »

DUDE who has had those fucking indian donuts they're like these glazed balls in honey

oh my god

they are SO GOOD when cooked fresh. Like, so good that you get sick of them after 3 or 4. they are that sweet and amazing.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2010, 12:20:23 AM »

Unfortunately, most women who are called "Feminists" these days aren't feminists, but female supremacists, and it gives a bad name to the word "feminism".

I took a course this past year called Gender and Language. The entire thing was an excuse to air diatribe after diatribe against men.

The prof refused to use any research past the late 80s/early 90s because it would contradict her research and everything was black and white, "men are bad, they oppress women this way" no matter what the situation.

Reverse sexism exists and is just as irritating as regular sexism.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: