Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 01:54:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331589 Posts in 13576 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  PC Security Question (Relates to World of Warcraft)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: PC Security Question (Relates to World of Warcraft)  (Read 3144 times)
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« on: June 05, 2010, 08:23:57 PM »

Hey guys.

I recently started playing World of Warcraft again and everything was going fine. Yesterday, I logged on to find my account had been hacked. All my gear, items, gold etc. was gone. I filed a ticket with Blizzard and they're currently looking into it. Very annoying, but not the end of the world.

Anyway, my question relates to my PC. I don't understand how anyone would have gotten into my account. I have scanned my PC with (one at a time so they don't interfere with each other):

--Avast!
--AVG
--MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
--Spybot Search & Destroy
--Windows Defender
--ProcessScanner (to see if any weird programs were running)

and none of them found anything at all. I never followed any links from gold farmers/scammers/hackers in game, nobody else knows my account info and I never gave out my password. I'm also very careful with what I download. I have anti-phishing and warnings in-place on my FireFox too.

Does anyone know how on earth someone managed to hack me? And should I believe all the above scanners when they tell me nothing is wrong with my PC?

I'm running Vista x64.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 08:25:38 PM by FlamingR1ft » Logged

Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 01:27:25 AM »

What a bummer man, sorry to hear that. I just recently switched from AVG (Avast before that) to Microsoft Security Essentials, its been fantastic so far. It found things that AVG didnt pick up on.

As for how, did some searching and it looks like keyloggers are the general rule of thumb.

http://news.cnet.com/No-end-in-sight-to-hacking-of-WoW-accounts/2100-1043_3-6174704.html
http://www.all-nettools.com/forum/showthread.php?6438-How-to-hack-someones-WoW-Account
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 03:21:47 AM »

Thanks, I'm downloading Microsoft Security Essentials now.

In terms of the keylogger (assuming that's what I have) how would I go about locating it? I mean, if all my scanners don't pick up anything then what's the next step to take?

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 05:41:37 AM »

Save what's important to an external and reformat your hard drive.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 08:31:04 AM »

I think I'm going to have to.

I just got an email from Blizzard telling me my Warcraft password has been reset again. I didn't ask them to do it!

But seriously if I can run so many different scanners and something is still wrong then I guess I can never be safe...

--
I've never actually reformatted before. Can anyone advise me?

I didn't get a Vista install disc, or any other disc, when I bought my laptop so I don't know how I could reinstall it. Also (it's a Toshiba), will I lose all the programs that came with the system when I bought it because I don't have a disc? Any way to download them again after wiping everything? What about stuff like drivers for video cards?

And if someone could give me or direct me to a reformatting guide that would be awesome. Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 09:06:36 AM by FlamingR1ft » Logged

Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 10:23:43 AM »

Thats a toughie man. My experience is solely with home pcs (im on my 4th custom built one, makes you feel alive when you hit that power button on the first boot).

One step ive found is to use another HDD to format your core one.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4794021_format-laptop-windows-disc.html

And I found this concerning your software worries:

You may have a recovery partiton from which to perform a complete system recovery. Also, on pre-installed computers, there is usually an option somewhere to create recovery discs. (Discs in the plural, because the utility will also include all the pre-installed crapware.) Has recovery disc creation ever been done on your computer? It can only be done once, AFAIK.

You may try contacting the manufacturer to obtain recovery discs for a nominal fee. Worth a shot.

One other thing, check out the link below for creating a clean install disc (no crapware!) from the i386 folder on your comp. If it isn't there, you'll have to get it off a recovery disc specific to your computer, but you may very well have the folder in your system root. Haven't tried the procedure myself, but supposedly it's possible. Have a look here:

http://www.howtohaven.com/system/cre...etupdisk.shtml

Hope this helps man.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 01:42:20 PM »

Hey guys.

I recently started playing World of Warcraft again and everything was going fine. Yesterday, I logged on to find my account had been hacked. All my gear, items, gold etc. was gone. I filed a ticket with Blizzard and they're currently looking into it. Very annoying, but not the end of the world.

Anyway, my question relates to my PC. I don't understand how anyone would have gotten into my account. I have scanned my PC with (one at a time so they don't interfere with each other):

--Avast!
--AVG
--MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
--Spybot Search & Destroy
--Windows Defender
--ProcessScanner (to see if any weird programs were running)

and none of them found anything at all. I never followed any links from gold farmers/scammers/hackers in game, nobody else knows my account info and I never gave out my password. I'm also very careful with what I download. I have anti-phishing and warnings in-place on my FireFox too.

Does anyone know how on earth someone managed to hack me? And should I believe all the above scanners when they tell me nothing is wrong with my PC?

I'm running Vista x64.

It's tough to say.  They're a bunch of crafty fuckers these days.  Unsurprisingly, there has been a lot of discussion on this topic and many people who play WoW and are IT professionals in real life, seem to think that it's someone capturing data somehow (sorry, I have no technical explanation of what they said as I don't remember what they wrote) and not necessarily the user's fault everytime.  Also, have you ever logged in at a friends?  If you haven't, I'm inclined to believe you don't actually have anything wrong with your system, but like others have said, it's better just to back up your important data and reformat anyway.

While formatting your drive may be a good option (you may not even have anything malicious on your computer), the absolute best option is just crack down and get an Authenticator.  They are cheap (around $6) or free if you have a Droid or iPhone (don't recall if blackberries support it).  It's not 100% protection but it stops every method goldfarmers use except Trojan MITM attacks.  They often don't use your password right away so it could have been taken awhile ago.  An authenticator will go a loooong way to help out since every generated number is only good for a single log-in.

Also, the password resetting issue is something that goldfarmers do to try and change it so you can't log in.  They'll change your email address and password.  The gold farmers are now starting to put authenticators on people's accounts so you can't log in to your account while they have it (or change details while they have your account).  Again, the best protection from all of this is an authenticator.  They can't even log into your account on the official site if you put an authenticator on it.  Now that is has happened once, you really should do it.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 01:44:45 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 03:59:48 AM »

Thanks for the advice guys.

It turns out when my password was reset again it was actually Blizzard doing it as part of their investigation. So no worries there.

I have never logged in at a friends either. Perhaps it was just one, unlucky thing? As far as I can tell my PC is fine and I really don't want to reformat unless I have to...

Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 08:22:30 PM »

Thanks for the advice guys.

It turns out when my password was reset again it was actually Blizzard doing it as part of their investigation. So no worries there.

I have never logged in at a friends either. Perhaps it was just one, unlucky thing? As far as I can tell my PC is fine and I really don't want to reformat unless I have to...

You should still grab an authenticator.

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 10:31:29 PM »

I will be.

I'm waiting to make sure they can restore my account properly. If not I'll probably call it quits. If they can then I'll be getting the authenticator.

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 11:58:12 PM »

This might just be a sign to stop playing WoW, lol.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 04:12:33 AM »

Well if everything can't be restored, then I will be quitting!

I only just started again though. I'd had a break for about three years.

Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 02:59:07 PM »

This might just be a sign to stop playing WoW, lol.

haha, good call.  Sometimes it takes something like that to break away from the beast.

Flamingrift - everything should be restored no problems.  At worst, you may have to re-gem or re-enchant some items

Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 07:54:17 PM »

I had the same thing happen to me. It isn't difficult for them to do if you have ever used the same email address that you use for battle.net to log onto any gaming websites.

The authenticator is great.

When it happened to me I got to keep all the extra stuff that they had gotten but not had a chance to sell. Also they got me epic flying on my warrior since he had mining.

So in the end i got all my stuff, two extra stacks of titanium, several saronite stacks, Mining maxed and cold weather flying.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: