Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 03:01:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319001 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Deus Ex: Human Revolution Thread (merged)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 29 Print
Author Topic: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Thread (merged)  (Read 43496 times)
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2011, 08:34:44 AM »

Love that its going to be MGS stealth because I've never played a splinter cell game....

What about the hand to hand combat? Is it just going to be flashy one-button moves, they made it seem like that would be a viable path. I would love to do a stealth hand to hand build.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2011, 01:35:27 PM »

I SPEEL MY DREENK
Annubis

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: August 12, 2011, 01:53:20 PM »

I SPEEL MY DREENK

Was it orange or lemon-lime?
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: August 12, 2011, 02:16:49 PM »

I SPEEL MY DREENK

Was it orange or lemon-lime?

I vwanted orange. It gave me lemon-lime!
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Let's see if you bastards can do 90.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #124 on: August 12, 2011, 03:34:25 PM »

Perhaps you press the wrong button

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: August 12, 2011, 07:51:56 PM »

Quick Look Throwback: Deus Ex
Deus Ex: Human Revolution: The Music and Audio of Dystopia
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: August 13, 2011, 01:46:31 AM »

IGN had a brief livestream of playing the game with some of the developers today.  For the most part it looked pretty good but there was one thing that really bothered me:  They showed off part of a boss fight that they admit was unavoidable.  After all this talk about being able to play the game different ways, stealth, social/hacking etc. they stick in boss fights where you have no choice and just have to slug it out.  Also the fight itself was rather underwhelming.  It was just some dude with a ton of hit points and bad aim, leading to a drawn-out war of attrition.  It seemed very video gamey (if you know what I mean) and was a startling contrast from the quick kills in most of the game.

In a way it reminded me of Batman: Arkham Asylum, another game with lots of stealth aspects, quick take-downs, etc. but crappy boss fights.  But Arkham Asylum at least never advertised itself as a play-however-you-want-to kind of game.  Of course it was still an excellent game despite the crappy boss fights, so it's not a death sentence or anything.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #127 on: August 13, 2011, 02:03:53 AM »

The developers are very open about their failure to integrate aspects of choice into the boss fights. It was due to time constraints, and they're clearly not happy with it. Maybe in the sequel :)

If you makes you feel better though, the original DX had the exact same situation going on, at least three occurrences where it was compulsory that you  had to fight to the death or otherwise kill someone that would qualify as a 'boss' character.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 13, 2011, 02:37:02 AM »

I'm not so against boss fights, so that doesn't bother me anyway.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 13, 2011, 03:17:32 AM »

Here's the real problem though, it's not so much for/against boss battles as that a build designed around sneaking around and instant take downs could be more or less caught with their pants down by a boss fight. If they QA'd it to ensure that you can get through all bosses with the lowest possible combat abilities then great, I won't really care that much, or if it's the kind of thing you can hot swap as the situation warrants. However, if you DON'T QA this properly then you get incidents like Alpha Protocol where the game became torturous to play because a build that could completely destroy areas will be a liability against a boss encounter or similar heavy combat situation. Ideally they could apply the 'take any approach you want' design philosophy to their boss fights, but failing that I want them to make sure they aren't utterly aggravating because I didn't want to play the game Rambo-style.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: August 13, 2011, 04:41:20 AM »

Eusis is a flatlander woman
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: August 13, 2011, 05:07:09 AM »

Here's the real problem though, it's not so much for/against boss battles as that a build designed around sneaking around and instant take downs could be more or less caught with their pants down by a boss fight. If they QA'd it to ensure that you can get through all bosses with the lowest possible combat abilities then great, I won't really care that much, or if it's the kind of thing you can hot swap as the situation warrants. However, if you DON'T QA this properly then you get incidents like Alpha Protocol where the game became torturous to play because a build that could completely destroy areas will be a liability against a boss encounter or similar heavy combat situation. Ideally they could apply the 'take any approach you want' design philosophy to their boss fights, but failing that I want them to make sure they aren't utterly aggravating because I didn't want to play the game Rambo-style.

Couldn't have said it better myself. If a few combat augs are enough to avoid frustration when fighting harder bosses then I don't mind this at all. It's just that the dev team seems to have nailed the freedom of approach philosophy in all other scenarios, so all they had to do was adapt boss fights to that philosophy and we could've had a 100% consistent game.

But if it was a compensation in order to release the game on time then I guess it's understandable. Although I have my doubts regarding that excuse.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: August 14, 2011, 10:09:04 PM »

Seems like the last few posts answered my question for the most part. Been considering getting this game when it drops (Even though it's right before school and work start again) and I'm concerned about how much the choice in gamestyle really changes the game. It seems like there are a few moments where all out combat is essential, but I'm also wondering does it change the way the game itself unfolds? I saw stuff like eavesdropping on conversations, and the hostage situations, but I'm wondering if that holds true for the game as a whole and that your style of gameplay will actually "drastically" affect the presentation of the story.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #133 on: August 14, 2011, 10:37:39 PM »

I'm not sure I understand your question. The original DX's story didn't change based on your methods, small details did, but overall the narrative was unaffected. Are you asking if DX:HR tells a different story if you opt to murder everyone or sneak in undetected?

Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: August 14, 2011, 10:47:58 PM »

Oh, no, I meant does the presentation of the story change? I've never played any other Deus Ex games, so this would be my first, but I'm more interested in whether acting in different ways would make me find out information in different ways? Or is it more just I have a lot of freedom in my playstyle? I mean, either way this game looks and sounds like a lot of fun, so I'm probably going to pick it up, but it is something I'm curious about since they've really pushed the playstyle thing.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 29 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: