Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2014, 12:05:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338779 Posts in 13866 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Deus Ex: Human Revolution Thread (merged)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 29 Print
Author Topic: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Thread (merged)  (Read 50775 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: August 23, 2011, 08:18:27 PM »

There's a dynamic theme on PSN at $2.99, looks pretty cool from the preview.
Arhkaos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: August 23, 2011, 08:20:16 PM »

What a shame.
It's a good game. What a rotten way to not buy.

I have more than enough games to play already, so I'm ready to wait a couple of months before I buy this one. It would probably be 30-40$ during the holidays. There are too much games coming out in the next few weeks, so I'll take the ones I know will be difficult to find in the future, like Devil Survivor Overclocked, Solatorobo and Atelier Totori. Those kind of games are hard to find where I live, whereas a game is never sold out on Steam, so I can wait a bit and buy this one when I'll have more money, too. I can't buy every game I want at full price when they release, obviously, but it doesn't mean I'll never play it. In fact, it's quite the contrary, I'm looking forward to play this game, and now I know I'll buy it on PC when I do get it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 08:22:02 PM by Arhkaos » Logged

I have fury!
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 23, 2011, 08:28:17 PM »

I love the music.

And all the detail/amount of stuff in a single room is pretty awesome.

I'm like five minutes in by the way.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: August 23, 2011, 09:08:31 PM »

What a shame.
It's a good game. What a rotten way to not buy.

I have more than enough games to play already, so I'm ready to wait a couple of months before I buy this one. It would probably be 30-40$ during the holidays. There are too much games coming out in the next few weeks, so I'll take the ones I know will be difficult to find in the future, like Devil Survivor Overclocked, Solatorobo and Atelier Totori. Those kind of games are hard to find where I live, whereas a game is never sold out on Steam, so I can wait a bit and buy this one when I'll have more money, too. I can't buy every game I want at full price when they release, obviously, but it doesn't mean I'll never play it. In fact, it's quite the contrary, I'm looking forward to play this game, and now I know I'll buy it on PC when I do get it.

you can get it for like 34 bucks on PC right now
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: August 23, 2011, 09:45:16 PM »

I was going to wait for a price drop on the consoles but a guy on gamefaqs had a coupon code that gave a huge discount, so I got the Augmented Edition for US$40.00!

I was going to wait a bit because I still have Witcher 2 on hold but since the games have very different settings, I think I can switch between them easily.

If anyone wants the coupon just say, unless it's against the rules. ( I don't know because the guy who gave them must get a small comission but still, he's helping gamers and Eidos themselves for selling more games)

Zyco
Hope I'm not the old guy!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: August 24, 2011, 07:20:51 AM »

Sounds good.. I am just unsubbing from a MMO and could use some game to keep me busy when I have free time. I thought I'd have to wait until september but I may just on the Deus Ex express
Arhkaos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: August 24, 2011, 10:27:52 AM »

Well, if any of you know how to get it cheaper, please let me know!

I have fury!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: August 24, 2011, 12:21:45 PM »

Now I'm suffering from lack of sleep since I was up way too late last night playing this.  I don't regret it, though...

This game is great.  It's gorgeous, too.  Sure it's no technical powerhouse, but I love the art design and overall aesthetic.  The atmosphere is great.  The music is great.  I'm going to friggin enjoy this one.

PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: August 25, 2011, 01:42:38 PM »

This had high purchase potential for me before release. Now that it is out I'm pretty confident I will get it. However, I'd like to clear a couple games (Breath of Fire IV and SMT:DDS 1) before I start another one. Maybe by then I'll be rewarded with a nice price drop for my patience!
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #174 on: August 25, 2011, 01:47:32 PM »

Now I'm suffering from lack of sleep since I was up way too late last night playing this.  I don't regret it, though...

This game is great.  It's gorgeous, too.  Sure it's no technical powerhouse, but I love the art design and overall aesthetic.  The atmosphere is great.  The music is great.  I'm going to friggin enjoy this one.

Agree.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: August 25, 2011, 02:46:15 PM »

Having never played the original, and after the first few hours, the jury's still out as to whether I'm enjoying this or not. I had some control issues during prologue and died a lot, so that didn't help. But I'm just concerned that the game looks and feels kinda repeatative. Everything is yellow, and that's starting to get to me.  And it feels pretty much like a cross between a shooter and Metal Gear Solid, which is not bad... but where's the RPG? Where's the character interaction? Where's the non-action-based information gathering and problem solving? I was under the impression that the Deus Ex series was more than just action games, but so far, after two missions, it just seems to want to throw me from one firefight to another.

The control issue I mentioned didn't help. The tutorials tend to be fairly good, but they missed something fairly important that makes this game different from other duck & cover style games (like Gears of War or Mass Effect 2): that firing while in cover mode is basically blind shooting, and you need to press Up or Sideways on the controller to poke your head out and shoot normally. I get that, that's cool, but I've never seen a game operate like that, and it wasn't completely obvious for a while, so they really should have explained it better. I went through the prologue dieing again and again... and I was thinking "this game is IMPOSSIBLE, the enemies just won't die!" Turns out, I wasn't hitting them at all. They did a good job explaining duck & cover tactics, but they missed telling you how to shoot correctly while hidden.

That aside, I do like how much the game draws from Metal Gear. They did it just right: really reward stealth tactics, but don't make it impossible to go on if your stealth efforts fail. The only problem with Metal Gear games is that often, the moment I get discovered, it's just easier and faster to just let the enemies kill me: killing everyone is hard, evading usually means losing ground, and you have to wait somewhere for a long time for the alarms to clear... faster and easier just to let yourself be killed and start over. I don't feel that way with Deus Ex. Being discovered doesn't mean impossible firefights, or long waits behind crates, it just means you go into action mode for a bit and have to change your tactics. I dig that.

I just don't know if I like the feel of it... I really get tired of games that pick a color and make all of their environments and graphics in the same shade... it feels like I'm playing a yellow Virtual Boy.

But, it's very possible that all of these things are the result of being at the very beginning of the game: intro dungeons, getting the player used to the action system before giving them some roll playing time, etc. I'm far from giving up on this game, I'm just waiting for some variety, which I have a feeling will come in time.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 25, 2011, 03:14:54 PM »

...I've never seen a game operate like that...

Perhaps not adequate precedent, but the Syphon Filter games on PSP did that.  I know something else, more recent, did it too, but I can't remember what!  Argh.  Stupid memory.

Not saying you suck or anything - just saying it is out there.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 25, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »

The controls really threw me off when playing the E3 demo. I love FPSes and it was set up kind of differently than what I play so I was awful. :P So I prepared to be really patient when I brought the game home but it wasn't so bad in my own living room.

I still love it, I'm just not as far as I'd hoped. I have spent far too much time hacking and lethal takedowns are kind of my 'assassination' fix post-Assassin's Creed. :)

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: August 25, 2011, 03:59:43 PM »

Everything is yellow, and that's starting to get to me.

It's not yellow, it's gold.  Gold and black were traditional colors of the renaissance and it was an intentional artistic decision to use them for the whole neo-renaissance theme.  Frankly I like it.

As for the controls, yeah it's a little different but personally I think it's better than the standard approach and it didn't take my any time at all to get used to it.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: August 25, 2011, 04:40:18 PM »

Patch is out. Severely improved load times apparently.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 29 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: