Author Topic: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Thread (merged)  (Read 126483 times)

Cyril

• View Profile
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Thread (merged)
« Reply #180 on: August 25, 2011, 05:35:11 PM »
Having never played the original, and after the first few hours, the jury's still out as to whether I'm enjoying this or not. I had some control issues during prologue and died a lot, so that didn't help. But I'm just concerned that the game looks and feels kinda repeatative. Everything is yellow, and that's starting to get to me.  And it feels pretty much like a cross between a shooter and Metal Gear Solid, which is not bad... but where's the RPG? Where's the character interaction? Where's the non-action-based information gathering and problem solving? I was under the impression that the Deus Ex series was more than just action games, but so far, after two missions, it just seems to want to throw me from one firefight to another.

I take it you've not reached the first hub yet?  I'd say wait a bit until you judge it if you're not at that point.  Because I don't know about you, but I've been running around, exploring, hacking apartments, and doing quests for people.  

There's also plenty of RPG, but it mostly stems with Praxis Points and your decisions.

For example, one interesting thing in the very first "real" mission:
Code: [Select]
If you take too long exploring Sarif Industries at the beginning, Sarif gets mad because you dawdled and the hostages are killed.
But if you went to meet him, as ordered, instead of messing around, you have a chance to later save the hostages.

Azrael

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 25, 2011, 06:56:49 PM »
I was going to say with the above poster said. You're really not far away from being able to go out on your own and just explore shit and do side quests. I think it has a really nice RPG feel to it thus far, and love the control scheme. I also didn't really feel like it wasn't properly explained about the pushing forward to come out of cover, but that's a minor thing.

Patch is out. Severely improved load times apparently.

PC only patch?

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 25, 2011, 07:17:49 PM »
For example, one interesting thing in the very first "real" mission:
If you take too long exploring Sarif Industries at the beginning, Sarif gets mad because you dawdled and the hostages are killed.
But if you went to meet him, as ordered, instead of messing around, you have a chance to later save the hostages.

Actually...

I think when he gets angry it's a warning, because I was screwing around, got that message, and not long after decided to
meet him at the helicopter, and as still able to save the hostages. I think that was the developer's way of warning you that,
yes, there really ARE consequences to taking too long.

Anyways, having tested the game quickly: Holy fuck the load times are seriously fixed. 15 seconds to boot up, about 3-5 to get into the LIMB clinic, and 5-7 to go back outside, and v-sync seems to have no effect or, at worst, adds a second or two. Before it'd take about 8 seconds to get into the LIMB clinic and 15-20 to go out, and that's with v-sync off. With v-sync ON I think it took double that.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 07:19:48 PM by Eusis »

Cyril

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 25, 2011, 07:26:06 PM »
Hmm, I messed around for a long, long time and
The hostages were dead before I even arrived. Still, I enjoy how there was a consequence for taking too long.  It's likely
that there are "tiers" of time that determine what happens to them, then.
People always complain about how you can shop while the world is ending without consequence, but this is almost poking fun at it.

Azrael

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 25, 2011, 07:29:21 PM »
You definitely have to take a lot of time because the same thing that happened to Eusis happened to me.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 26, 2011, 12:36:43 AM »
Oh man...

I'm playing the game on my PS3.  Played for like 5 hours pretty late into the night Tuesday night but I didn't have time to play at all last night.  Started it up again tonight hoping to pick up where I left off.  I select load and get the message: "There are no saved games available."

For a while there I was completely freaking out wondering what the heck happened to my save data.  Then I had a moment of inspiration, and realized that sure enough, I had started the game after unwittingly logging in under my Japanese PSN account rather that my usual US one.  Now I'm wondering what to do...I would really rather be earning the trophies and stuff under my US account but I don't really want to restart at this point.  Is there some way to move the save data over?  (I know that won't affect trophies I already earned but I'm still not very far in the game)

Edit:  Well, apparently *some* saved data you can just copy to a USB stick or something, but other data (including in the Deus Ex saves) is protected and won't let you do that.  Grr, why do they do this shit?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 12:39:52 AM by Kevadu »

Farron

• View Profile
    • Mayonaka Reviews
« Reply #186 on: August 26, 2011, 09:10:42 AM »
I also have a US and JAP account on my PS3 and while I'm extra careful to not let that happen if it were the case with Deus EX I would continue playing it on the account you started. Then, even if sometime later, when you decide to play it again, do it on the other account, at least you have the pleasure of getting some trophies again.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 26, 2011, 10:57:48 AM »
Well, apparently *some* saved data you can just copy to a USB stick or something, but other data (including in the Deus Ex saves) is protected and won't let you do that.  Grr, why do they do this shit?

Because some saves are hardcores and they wouldn't want those softcores people loading up those awesome saves and parade around showing falsified mad 1337 skills.
Star Ocean 3 Battle Trophies are that way and now I'm stuck having my 95% BT save on my old dying save card and I just can't move them.
This is indeed ridiculous. Why would other people even give a fuck about other people's single player saves?

Fei

• !?
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 26, 2011, 01:41:43 PM »
I hope they can patch the PS3 version the same way.  The load times I hear about are the only thing that lets me put off buying this for one more day... one more day...

kyuusei

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 26, 2011, 01:45:51 PM »
The load times are.. well, they're there, but I'm not actually bothered by them. Probably because Assassin's Creed's felt worse.

The first boss fight is brutal.

Fei

• !?
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 26, 2011, 02:35:21 PM »
The video comparison of the load times was showing 25+ seconds upon death, for PS3...

I could look at it as a death penalty of sorts, I suppose.  It's not a bug, it's a feature :P

Prime Mover

• All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio
    • View Profile
    • www.ericbarker.com
« Reply #191 on: August 26, 2011, 03:43:55 PM »
I'm confused as to what the load-time fix is for? I'm playing the 360 version, but all I've heard is PC and PS3, and I'm guessing the PS3 isn't getting the fix (yet). The load times on the 360 are HORRID, so when I heard their was a fix, I was happy... but now I'm not sure whether it's for 360 or not.

Farron

• View Profile
    • Mayonaka Reviews
« Reply #192 on: August 26, 2011, 04:42:48 PM »
After the patch on the PC version not only the loadings became better but I noticed an increase in fps throught the game and it also fixed a horrible stuttering issue which many people were atributting to V-sync.

After the patch I think no loading in the game took more than 10 seconds.

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 26, 2011, 04:53:12 PM »
I'm confused as to what the load-time fix is for? I'm playing the 360 version, but all I've heard is PC and PS3, and I'm guessing the PS3 isn't getting the fix (yet). The load times on the 360 are HORRID, so when I heard their was a fix, I was happy... but now I'm not sure whether it's for 360 or not.

It's PC only, and console patches usually have to go through more certification and whatnot. It might also be an issue that CAN be fixed on PC but not on consoles, but we'll see.

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 26, 2011, 06:04:41 PM »
OMG, Deus Ex 3 is everything thing I've hoped for since playing the first Deus Ex. Sorry witcher 2, but this game just became my favorite RPG of the year. A great Cyber Punk game doesn't come along often especially with these protection values. I was hook with just the introduction area. Its a pleasure just to walk around and examine the clutter around rooms. Reading articles and e-mails just like in the original. The combat is quite lethal while stealth is quite well done. So is the cover system which is well made to allow u to easy surveillance of an area.

I'm rambling but this is a dream game come true.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 06:09:43 PM by bigdeath »