Author Topic: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Thread (merged)  (Read 125559 times)

kyuusei

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Thread (merged)
« Reply #195 on: August 26, 2011, 06:07:09 PM »
Anyone else encounter the Nigerian $$$ spam e-mails on a DXHR computer? I had to laugh at that one.

I'm hacking a lot more than I thought I would. It's pretty fun.

Cyril

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 26, 2011, 06:45:30 PM »
Yeah, I'm really enjoying hacking as well.  It's simple, but there's also an element of strategy to it.
For an easy win, just upgrade your Hacking Stealth, but it also takes the fun away from it because at max even level 4 nodes only have a ~30% detect rate and everything else is at 15%.

I just reached
Code: [Select]
China.  The Hive, as mentioned in one of the reviews here, is really cool.  A bit disappointing on the inside though.
I hate to make this comparison, I really, really do, but ME2's Afterlife felt so much more like a club.  Still, the yellow and gold color scheme works brilliantly here.

kyuusei

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 27, 2011, 11:53:25 AM »
My only gripe is why the heck did I have to hack into my own computer? Haha.

Boss fight took more tries than I care to admit. But the gas containers and machine gun bullets are your friend.

Had my first conversation boss fight too, and won. I was kind of a dick but whatever works.

Azrael

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 27, 2011, 01:33:40 PM »
My only gripe is why the heck did I have to hack into my own computer? Haha.

Boss fight took more tries than I care to admit. But the gas containers and machine gun bullets are your friend.

Had my first conversation boss fight too, and won. I was kind of a dick but whatever works.

You must have forgotten what Pritchard said when he gives you the password to your office computer and that the password would work at home as well.

I've encountered the Nigerian scam and have gotten a few laughs out of it. I do enjoy hacking, but I'm wary of upgrading it because I feel like I'd rather use different augs. I've got extra battery packs, stealth, and punch through walls. I may upgrade my hacking again next though since everything I'm coming across now is level 3+

kyuusei

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 27, 2011, 07:32:34 PM »
No, I got into my home computer fine. I actually didn't need anything for that one at all. I had to hack into Adam's office computer after the conversation battle. So if Pritchard said something useful for the office one... then yes I forgot. :P

Hacking augs.. I've really just bothered with the stealth ones so far. Otherwise I've been trying to stick to ones that increase defense and whatnot.

Azrael

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 27, 2011, 07:45:02 PM »
Pritchard gives you the password. It might have been a pocket secretary, don't remember. I do know it appears in the media part of the inventory.

I think everyone should get punch through walls. There is a praxis kit you can get with it in Detroit that kind of makes up for the 1 point you need to unlock it, making it worth having. Sure, it defeats stealth purpose, but it's useful for hidden shit sometimes. I've also been stealthing up. Maxed cloak aug, and got the see through walls aug. I've thought about building up defense, but I try and play with little to no detection. I guess when I get to a boss fight that might help, but I'm not there yet. This style of play has of course lead to a ton of deaths, though my marksmanship is getting higher. What kind of annoys me is also the fact that only one battery fully recharges. I wouldn't mind if it was slower, but it kind of makes getting the battery upgrades useless when if you want to keep a full charge you have to stop before that one battery runs out. Also makes me less likely to use takedowns. This would be less of a problem if finding energy bars wasn't so damn hard. I mean I get that items are scarce, but sometimes it's a bit much.

I thought this was kind of funny:

http://i.imgur.com/TuPw5.jpg

Fei

• !?
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 27, 2011, 08:05:45 PM »
Got the game earlier today, going full on Ramboner with my character.

I loot corpses before they finish crumpling to the ground. 

Gotta say, I am liking it.  I still hate cover systems, but I'm having a blast blasting people up close.  Magnum style.  I take my magnum off and blast in their face.

kyuusei

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 27, 2011, 08:14:18 PM »
Oh yeah, I hadn't read any pocket secretaries yet... better do that, I picked up a ton. :P

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 27, 2011, 08:37:55 PM »
For those going the stealth route, remember that a GEP gun is useful for a silent takedown.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Fei

• !?
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 27, 2011, 09:06:26 PM »
After the hostage situation, I'm very impressed by this game.  Totally fucked it up, but I remembered all the crucial info to not fuck.  I just didn't realize it.

Azrael

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 27, 2011, 09:26:31 PM »
There are some places where it's hard to gun through. The last story mission in Detroit has rooms with people with fast firing guns, and lots of em. Whenever I do get around to playing it I think I will go more lethal though as some of those places seems like it'd be fun to get crazy with.

You should read EVERY pocket secretary. Even if you're not interested in the info, because some of them are just silly little things, they give passcodes and shit that just get stored, so you don't even have to remember them, it'll show up next to the computer or numpad you gotta enter it into. Some of the emails are worth reading though as they are some interesting stories that come out.

Did that first boss fight. It wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible. I had nothing but a pistol, so it got a bit difficult, but that was only until I remembered that I had a ton of useful grenades, like EMP and concussion.

Prime Mover

• All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio
    • View Profile
    • www.ericbarker.com
« Reply #206 on: August 28, 2011, 12:04:15 AM »
Yeah, I was totally wrong, this game is AMAZING. It's like Mass Effect, Metal Gear Solid and Halo: ODST rolled into one. What a weak intro though... for the first hour and a half, they ONLY explore the action side of the game, and I ALMOST got stalled on it. It's an okay FPS, but I think it's strengths are in the mystery and RPG elements. I would have felt a lot better if it hadn't started out with it's most generic gameplay element. But after the hostage mission, it's just wonderful. I love walking around the city, exploring, solving side missions, crawling through vents in the police headquarters, etc.

I'm a little stuck trying to hack into a certain computer in the Police HQ though at the moment, I haven't found a way to get the access code besides doing a hack, which is Level 2 (I'm still Level 1). I've checked all the pocket secretary's too, I think.

Azrael

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 28, 2011, 07:06:57 PM »
Yeah, I was totally wrong, this game is AMAZING. It's like Mass Effect, Metal Gear Solid and Halo: ODST rolled into one. What a weak intro though... for the first hour and a half, they ONLY explore the action side of the game, and I ALMOST got stalled on it. It's an okay FPS, but I think it's strengths are in the mystery and RPG elements. I would have felt a lot better if it hadn't started out with it's most generic gameplay element. But after the hostage mission, it's just wonderful. I love walking around the city, exploring, solving side missions, crawling through vents in the police headquarters, etc.

I'm a little stuck trying to hack into a certain computer in the Police HQ though at the moment, I haven't found a way to get the access code besides doing a hack, which is Level 2 (I'm still Level 1). I've checked all the pocket secretary's too, I think.

I spent A LOT of time (too much) at the police station and I think it's safe to say that you can find every single password for every computer in that place. Of course they all require different augs to find. Hacking may be easiest...long as you're out of view of cops who'll come busting in and start shooting up the place.

Cyril

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 28, 2011, 07:50:57 PM »
Hmm. I beat it last night. That entire last level on a stealth/no-kills playthrough is horrible. You just have to Cloak it and run through.

Code: [Select]
I liked the endings, all had various pros and cons and I can see the argument for all except for the kill-Adam ending, which
pretty much is only a very, very short term solution, or none at all. I know I'm probably alone here, but I like how they
didn't explain what happens after each.  

My favorite level was Singapore. You're just stuck right in the middle of the area with no clue where to go, or direction beyond
"find out what the hell is going on."  I appreciated that.

Some thoughts:
+ Side Quests and side content elaborate on the story, as well as foreshadow future events.
+ I know it's not important, but that entire CG intro by the FF team was beautiful.
+ They did a good job balancing the Augmentations. Most are useful and it's hard to choose what to upgrade, especially at the beginning. Hacking and Stealth Hacking are obviously great, but then you sacrifice the ability to do the high jumps or pull the heavier items out of the way if you focus on them.
+/- Some of the "Americans" have subtle Canadian accents. I was amused.
- Some form of close quarters combat would help, especially in that last level where everything just mobs you.
- Boss fights. I know everyone whines about them, but really. Really? Even worse, you can one-two hit them all and avoid any damage whatsoever if you spam the Typhoon ability.  Ammo is common enough that I had 20+ by the end of the game.
- You can tell they ran out of time. I would have loved to have seen what else they had planned, especially in regards to the hubs.
- The Conversation battles can be incredibly jarring.  Jensen might immediately switch topics to something the "opponent" hadn't mentioned yet as if they had both been talking about it.
- The AI.  I can run around and bang over cardboard boxes and garbage cans and no one will notice, but I take a single quiet step and they are alarmed.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 08:15:55 PM by Cyril »

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 28, 2011, 09:56:13 PM »
What a weak intro though...

DX1, as great as it is, probably has a worse intro. Liberty Island is seriously one of the least interesting maps in any FPS, and gives no indication to the sort of architectural grandiosity and interactivity you will be encountering later on.

Also it looks totally ass. By the time you get to China Town and look back on it you're like "Wait what the fuck."
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`