Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 04:55:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338756 Posts in 13865 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Deus Ex: Human Revolution Thread (merged)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29 Print
Author Topic: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Thread (merged)  (Read 50757 times)
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: August 30, 2011, 05:39:22 PM »

So, boss fight complaints:

Code:
Why the hell is it that the last boss fight is so much easier than every other boss fight?  And why are two of them "Fight an enemy who turns invisible"?  WHAARGARBL

I totally see your point.
The last boss was so easy, especially with a lot of augments.
The 2nd and the 3rd I started getting really pissed. Not only were they boring but a little too much frustrating.

I was listening the other day to a gamespot podcast talking about Deus EX HR, and the reviewer of the game was making a valid point about this game not needing bosses. They in fact make it a little worse. For example, if we'd like to go completely stealth, having to fight bosses head on is really bad, especially because our build would not focus on that aspect, unlike Metal Gear where in most cases you can even hide from the bosses.

I just beat it today, overall great.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: August 30, 2011, 09:41:50 PM »

when I actually got to it it was ugly as hell and I mean just a few months after released. Although I should mention I was a graphics whore back then, today not so much.

The game looks really good once you get past the first part. Liberty Island, to reiterate, was horrible.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: August 30, 2011, 09:43:37 PM »

I didn't play beyond Liberty Island, and wrote the game off as being too old.

True story.  Sad story.  White hoodie.  Black hoodie.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: August 30, 2011, 09:45:49 PM »

I almost did that, but it really is an awesome game.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 30, 2011, 09:50:29 PM »

I don't really see Deus Ex as having aged that badly gameplay-wise anyway (voiceacting/graphics on the other hand...), certainly it's more intuitive to get into than Ultima Underworld. The biggest problems are the misguided way of handling aiming and the ladders. I don't think I've ever had that much trouble climbing a ladder in a video game, at least it's a non-issue in the following games.
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: September 01, 2011, 03:58:55 PM »

I bought this game and now I'm hearing that the decisions you make early on can make the game almost unplayable later in the game. I don't like that... it's why I didn't like the later Fallout games. I didn't enjoy the game because when I allocated points I spent my time wondering if I screwed myself for some later part of the game. Anyone got any ideas on how to make the game easier for myself? Deus Ex, not Fallout, of course. :P
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: September 01, 2011, 04:43:52 PM »

I hate to butt in on a thread of a game that I'm not playing, but Brittons post above me is part of the reason I dislike games with lots of options. I spend way too much time second guessing myself. I always assume that I'm doing things the worst way possible. I know it's stupid to worry about it as long as you get through whatever problem is facing you, but if certain(poor?) decisions effect game difficulty, that's just mean. Yet another reason for me to stay away from this game.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #232 on: September 01, 2011, 04:47:14 PM »

What did you pop your points into, Britton?  And how is it that you're dying?  The selection's as much about shoring up your weak points as it is about selecting things that enhance your own playstyle.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #233 on: September 01, 2011, 05:55:12 PM »

Britton-- don't worry slightl about what you put your points into. I've played through almost three times now, and really, you can't break yourself. Get whatever the heck you like in Deus Ex.

Though to be honest, I never had a problem in Fallout, either.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: September 01, 2011, 07:47:03 PM »

Like Taelus said, you can't break your game in any way. The developers said that all portions of the game can be passed without using a single augment (of course they alsomsaid that this made the game really hard to balance, also without augment it will surely be a bit harder).

In comparison, I think it's much easier to "break" your character in Dragon Age, Demon's Souls or Oblivion. In worst case scenario, in Deus Ex HR you can shoot the hell out of everybody.

Actually I'd like to know if anyone tried this out: (tiny little spoiler)

At the point where Jansen has to break into the police station, did anyone while being stopped at the entance decide to shoot everyone point blank and go guns blazing until the end?

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 01, 2011, 07:56:44 PM »

Actually I'd like to know if anyone tried this out: (tiny little spoiler)

At the point where Jansen has to break into the police station, did anyone while being stopped at the entance decide to shoot everyone point blank and go guns blazing until the end?

... Normally I'd suggest just using [ code ] or pressing the # above for hiding spoilers, but that DOES solve the wrapping issue, doesn't it? Anyways, I've heard of people who had news reports after trying that approach or a similar one, so it's definitely doable.

And, yeah, don't let the fear of where to put points dissuade you from buying the game. I don't think there's as many useless options as, say, the perks in Fallout 3, and the game has an easy mode outright labeled "Give me a story" if you want to be absolutely safe.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: September 01, 2011, 09:13:51 PM »

Hmmm...this all comforts me somewhat. The game does sound really cool from a story and setting standpoint. Perhaps someday when it goes down to 20 or 30 bucks.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: September 02, 2011, 02:07:45 AM »

So Deus Ex 1 for me was wrpg perfection, Deus Ex 2 was weak.  And this day and age in the industry I was very skeptical about this game(avoiding all the hype), so I started playing it expecting a decent but pretty game with a shitty PC port and MAN was I wrong!  True its not DX1 but its close, and the PC version is fantastic so far!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 02, 2011, 02:18:23 AM »

So Deus Ex 1 for me was wrpg perfection, Deus Ex 2 was weak.  And this day and age in the industry I was very skeptical about this game(avoiding all the hype), so I started playing it expecting a decent but pretty game with a shitty PC port and MAN was I wrong!  True its not DX1 but its close, and the PC version is fantastic so far!

It probably is about as close to Deus Ex 1 again as we can get short of the industry completely changing. Fortunately, for the most part what wasn't kept was kind of redundant, is balanced out by other design choices, or really wasn't something that most people would WANT kept (like how to climb ladders.) Probably the most significant change that may be missed is the removal of limb HP, and frankly Fallout 3 and NV did a better job there since it was separate from your main HP and enemies had it too.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: September 02, 2011, 09:38:47 AM »

I bought this game and now I'm hearing that the decisions you make early on can make the game almost unplayable later in the game. I don't like that... it's why I didn't like the later Fallout games. I didn't enjoy the game because when I allocated points I spent my time wondering if I screwed myself for some later part of the game. Anyone got any ideas on how to make the game easier for myself? Deus Ex, not Fallout, of course. :P
Use the hacking EXP exploit if you screw yourself over, I suppose?

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: