Author Topic: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Thread (merged)  (Read 125586 times)

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile

Fei

• !?
    • View Profile
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Thread (merged)
« Reply #241 on: September 02, 2011, 05:31:19 PM »

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 03, 2011, 08:24:52 PM »
http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/arbitrarywater/games-i-wish-i-was-capable-of-playing/46-54537/

Marginally related, but look at game 6 -- Deus Ex.

I guess it's the "if it looks like a duck" syndrome here. I really, really, really don't like obvious dice rolls in regards to shooting people in the head, and I also am not a huge fan of awkward stealth. Alpha Protocol had both of those, and this game has it too. But apparently this is one of the most seminal games ever made, so what do I know?

don't like obvious dice rolls in regards to shooting people in the head

I have no idea to what this is referring but I can't think of anything remotely dice rollish in Deus Ex. The only thing that IS random is like, shotgun and assault rifle bullet spread, which is something that's true for EVERY FPS SINCE WOLFENSTEIN 3D.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 03, 2011, 08:36:21 PM »
Your arm shacking was relative to your weapon skill. Without 2 points, it was pretty much Michael J. Fox holding a gun.

EDIT: I am clearly going to hell for this one.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 03, 2011, 11:06:49 PM »
So I've finally had some more time to really play this (PAX got in the way last weekend...), and damn, the more I play the more I am in love with this game.  The setting is so well developed, there are just so many places to go, etc.

I will say the same thing that everyone else has been saying, though:  The boss fights suck.  Especially when my social/hacker/all-around-sneaky-guy Jenson comes face-to-face with the fact that I haven't really given him any direct combat skills.  Funny how the Penny Arcade guys had the exact same problem.  Still, they are infrequent enough that I manage to muddle my way through somehow...

I'm curious, where are people putting their points?  I take a stealthy approach almost all the time but I haven't actually given myself any of the stealth augs (except for the basic first level cloak but I hardly even use that, it just drains power so fast...).  Instead I have focused on hacking and mobility augs.  By the latter I mean things like leg aug that lets you jump really high (which I have found incredibly useful), the strength aug to move heavy objects, the breathing thing that lets you go through gas, etc.  Rather than dumping more and more points into making the cloak last ever so slightly longer I think it's way more useful to have a variety of tools that let you find alternate routes, etc.  Hacking is also a blast.  I hack everything I can find.

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 03, 2011, 11:13:21 PM »
Well, unlike Deus Ex you aren't absolute trash with a weapon if you don't put in the proper weapon points, so that helps a lot. However, I heard the Typhoon system can really wreck a boss, so I'll probably level that up and see how it works.

As for my build? Kind of all over the place actually, but I've been leaning towards upgrades that let me access more places, so upgrade hacking some, get the ability to lift heavy objects, jumping/Icarus together, and probably other stuff I'm forgetting right now.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 03, 2011, 11:27:20 PM »
I didn't find the arm shaking when using a weapon untrained in Deus Ex difficulty to overcome at all.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 03, 2011, 11:30:43 PM »
I didn't find the arm shaking when using a weapon untrained in Deus Ex difficulty to overcome at all.

If I had to put up with that against the bosses in this game I'd want the developers to all die. Fortunately, most of the bosses in the original can be circumvented in some other way or with a few sniper rounds in the head. At point blank.

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 04, 2011, 07:11:07 AM »
After a lot of waiting I finally got the Augmented Edition yesterday and I love packaging. I also really liked how the game starts too, I'm only in the beginning so I still have a lot to see.

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 04, 2011, 07:54:04 AM »
I fired it up just to figure out the best settings (still playing xenoblade, God it's huge). To my surprise I was getting a crappy framerate, then I remembered that I hadn't updated my drivers. What a difference! It went from 25 to 60 fps!
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

Azrael

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 04, 2011, 09:13:08 AM »
While I haven't found the boss fights particular great, I haven't found them terrible at all. I'm fairly stealthy (picked non-lethal in the beginning) but I've pretty much gone all out lethal at this point. I just want to have fun getting through the game rather than frustrate myself at this point restarting every time an alarm goes off and I get swarmed. I mean, if I die, I die, but I have no qualms putting down every single person in a room, and getting creative with it (like hacking a security hub and carrying a gun turret through an entire building watching every single security guard get murdered). I will say that a fully upgraded stealth aug, with a fully upgraded battery pack, is pretty useful. You get 7 seconds per battery and there are plenty of moments that has come in quite handy (like hacking certain security hubs which are out in the open and getting caught is certain death). I also use the see through walls aug. Sure the radar is handy, but I much rather use seeing through walls which uses little battery. As it is, on my TV, the radar isn't the most reliable and can be hard to read.

As for the boss fights, even on a stealth run, I think everyone should keep one or two lethal weapons. I've upgraded my capacity so I've got a few more, but I will never get rid of my 10mm Pistol, or revolver. Hell, I've pretty much given up on my tranq rifle since so many people have heavy armor now. Also, keep at least 4 grenades/mines. This is how I've beaten every boss (two so far). I just beat one last night by running around the rum throwing gas and concussion mines (which take her out of stealth) and then running in with the heavy rifle and unloading a full clip in her (considering how many heavy rifles, and heavy rifle ammo that is around before the fight, I figured it was kind of a like a big sign that said "Boss Fight Coming! Take me!). She went down fast. Don't know how much more of the game I have left (back in Detroit) but with school in session it's probably going to take me a long ass time to finish. Yesterday was first chance I had all week to play.

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 04, 2011, 01:25:38 PM »
Man this game is awesome! Beating levels with stealth feels really satisfying. At the beginning I went into the lady's room and then when I talked to Pritchard he mentioned that! Awesome.
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

Uru

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 04, 2011, 02:08:29 PM »
The ending was very anti-climatic, im not quite sure if im satisfied or not... I mean the whole game has production values through the roof and then you hit a boss fight and the ending, and just feel like maybe they needed just a bit more time.

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 04, 2011, 03:07:23 PM »
The ending was very anti-climatic, im not quite sure if im satisfied or not... I mean the whole game has production values through the roof and then you hit a boss fight and the ending, and just feel like maybe they needed just a bit more time.

How many hours did you need to complete it?

When will developers stop using these low quality videos?! Going from 1920x1080 gameplay to these blocky cutscenes is retarded.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 03:12:03 PM by CDFN »

Farron

• View Profile
    • Mayonaka Reviews
« Reply #254 on: September 04, 2011, 10:09:23 PM »
@Azrael I started with a stealth approach myself but I dropped the tranq rifle pretty soon. It's hard to get ammo for it and the shots take a bit too long to take effect. After you get a silencer upgrade I felt there was no reason to use the tranq rifle.

I agree.
spoiler

After so many good videos, like the one the bomb explodes point blank in your face. Watching those endings really didn't cut for me.
I mean, a person talking with random images is not what I would like for an ending...