Author Topic: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Thread (merged)  (Read 125594 times)

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Thread (merged)
« Reply #375 on: September 27, 2011, 02:11:21 AM »
I personally felt that Uncharted 2 was tons better than the first.  Sure there weren't really any big changes, but there were so many subtle improvements that everything just felt better, particularly with regard to the pacing of the game.

But why are we talking about Uncharted in a Deus Ex thread?

kyuusei

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 27, 2011, 02:23:55 AM »
Because it happens, and being derailed by Uncharted is better than being derailed by some people's obsessions around here.

For UC2, even subtle improvements are good enough for me. Please tell me the melee is less awkward.

Back to DXHR: Apparently the DLC will have a boss battle. Except it's supposed to be better, you can kill him stealthily, you don't have to kill him at all, etc.

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 27, 2011, 02:27:51 AM »
But why are we talking about Uncharted in a Deus Ex thread?

Because we all finished the game (obviously) and are now waiting on the expansion.

... While I was joking there that DOES apply to me. Not much more to say other than shock at how disappointing the endings were.

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 27, 2011, 05:08:42 AM »
That's exactly what I'm doing. UC2 better be tons better than the first.

It's not. :/

LOL, it's not even in the same league, there's a reason people were so blown away by it.
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

PotRoast

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 27, 2011, 07:19:09 AM »
Everyone that loves Uncharted 2 needs to see The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. I already knew Uncharted was super duper ripping off Indiana Jones, but this was a bit too much.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: September 27, 2011, 12:18:30 PM »
Everyone that loves Uncharted 2 needs to see The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. I already knew Uncharted was super duper ripping off Indiana Jones, but this was a bit too much.

Your point being?  I haven't heard anyone praising Uncharted 2 for its originality.

Fei

• !?
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 27, 2011, 01:58:41 PM »
Even I will say that Uncharted 2 was pretty good.  I can almost never get into western games like that, and I actually finished it.

I was really impressed with DX:HR's atmosphere.  I think Oblivion is an example of what I consider to be blandness (whether its fair to blame it on it being a western game, probably not), and even Assassins Creed 2 felt generic and sterile to me.

Maybe western RPGs do better the further into the future their settings are, ha.

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 27, 2011, 05:27:43 PM »
LOL, it's not even in the same league, there's a reason people were so blown away by it.

It's a good game, but massively, massively overhyped. There's some good sequences (the train was great), but it didn't feel like it outshone the first game in any particular way, and
Code: [Select]
Even the last third of the game with supernatural creatures was pretty similar to the first . Also thought the final boss battle was pretty underwhelming.

ADMIN EDIT: Fixed the spoiler tags for you.

(Sorry about the spoiler tags)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 08:59:42 PM by Lard »
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

kyuusei

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 27, 2011, 06:02:41 PM »
I was really impressed with DX:HR's atmosphere.  I think Oblivion is an example of what I consider to be blandness (whether its fair to blame it on it being a western game, probably not), and even Assassins Creed 2 felt generic and sterile to me.

Maybe western RPGs do better the further into the future their settings are, ha.

The common complaint I hear about Bethesda games is that they're 'soulless' but I've only played Fallout 3 so I can't really judge.

I like both DXHR and AC2's atmospheres for different reasons. From the minute you were Ezio in Firenze, AC2 had lively streets even at night and the music helped the mood. (I say AC2 and not necessarily ACB because I found both Rome and the music a bit less enthralling than Venice, Florence and Tuscany, and it just got boring after an entire game.)

Walking around Detroit in DXHR felt pretty much like how you should feel when you wander into the wrong part of town, I thought. Hengsha was interesting, but at least it had more shops (and a bar) - unlike Detroit. It makes me wonder what a Montreal hub would have been like.

... :(

Demon_Princess_Kay

• Banninated
    • View Profile
    • My 1up page
« Reply #384 on: September 27, 2011, 06:35:58 PM »
Because it happens, and being derailed by Uncharted is better than being derailed by some people's obsessions around here.

Huh i have no idea what you're talking about?

Anyways on the topic of Uncharted. I only played 2 and strangely loved it despite it's lack of having anything to do with any obsessions i might have. Though my friends tell me that I should just forget about one as it will seem a lot worse in comparison. Anyone here think it's still worth getting?

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 27, 2011, 08:19:39 PM »
If you enjoy Uncharted for the characters or the storytelling I say that is worth it.

People give too much shit to that part of the first game though and I didn't see any problem with it. Yes it could have been done better but is fine as it is.

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 27, 2011, 09:00:38 PM »
I actually prefer the first game. It's worth picking up, you can probably find it dirt cheap now.
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

kyuusei

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 27, 2011, 09:04:39 PM »
The first Uncharted can be found for 20 if you look in the right places. The second game, between 20-30 depending on whether it's the GotY edition.

Honestly if you think you'll really play both just get the dual pack (UC1&UC2GotY). It's $40 and the best deal.

PotRoast

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 28, 2011, 02:51:42 PM »

Your point being?  I haven't heard anyone praising Uncharted 2 for its originality.

I guess that was my point. The story told is so incredibly derivative and banal that I couldn't become engaged at all. And that's important - I've played plenty of games with bad or lackluster stories that still were still able to engage me enough in them such that I enjoyed the game. Uncharted 2 failed even at this. All that was left was just hallway after hallway of me mindlessly mowing down enemies. Which was pretty darned boring if you ask me. I'd rather have been playing a rail shooter or side scroller if the point was mowing down enemies.

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile