Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 04:49:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338603 Posts in 13861 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  'Broken' or 'Tired' RPG gamelplay elements?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: 'Broken' or 'Tired' RPG gamelplay elements?  (Read 10261 times)
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 11:11:34 AM »

Random battles.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 11:39:36 AM »

@KillArmoire
Regular loot requiring MMO Sperg levels of dedication to acquire.
I'm not sure what a MMO Sperg is but it made me laugh :D
- Drop rates. Anything below 5% rate is offensive to me as a human being, I'm mean let alone I'm using my time to play your game and not only that but I need to kill monter X a thousand times to get an item ? If developers don't want us with a ton of said item why they don't just put it on a really hard monster, like those that you even need to use some rare consumable items. If anything about FFXII this was problably the biggest reason I hated it.

Basically this (although 5% isn't nearly as low as I was talking about).

I know. In an MMO it's still a pain but it's understandable since most of them have PvP, so everybody getting anything easily could somehow break the game, but it still doesn't mean that it should be impossible to get.
But in a single player RPG I think it's simply outrageous.

I remember watching some videos of people getting the Seitengrate bowbow in FFXII on youtube, they have to keep opening an INVISIBLE box item, and then go some screens away for it to respawn.
I just did some research to post here, the drop rate is: "Seitengrate bow = 0.0001% chance"!!!

Isn't it just overkill ? Like I said before, if they don't want us to use it in anything in the game, why don't they just put this as a reward for beating the strongest enemy in the game ? Sure, there aren't anything left to kill but at least it's a prize with a single 100% drop.

Developers could do this back in the NES, SNES and early PSX days when we didn't have internet to share this things with everybody, but nowadays if I see people telling me I have to go through 'out of this world' drop rates to play a game, guess what ? I just don't even touch the game and they just lost some bucks. If the game is a fair challenge (even if it's more than I can take), Monster Hunter, Demon's Souls, etc then it's Ok but if they don't this just for their own sordid pleasure, count me out.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 12:45:43 PM »

@KillArmoire
Regular loot requiring MMO Sperg levels of dedication to acquire.
I'm not sure what a MMO Sperg is but it made me laugh :D
- Drop rates. Anything below 5% rate is offensive to me as a human being, I'm mean let alone I'm using my time to play your game and not only that but I need to kill monter X a thousand times to get an item ? If developers don't want us with a ton of said item why they don't just put it on a really hard monster, like those that you even need to use some rare consumable items. If anything about FFXII this was problably the biggest reason I hated it.

Basically this (although 5% isn't nearly as low as I was talking about).

I know. In an MMO it's still a pain but it's understandable since most of them have PvP, so everybody getting anything easily could somehow break the game, but it still doesn't mean that it should be impossible to get.
But in a single player RPG I think it's simply outrageous.

I remember watching some videos of people getting the Seitengrate bowbow in FFXII on youtube, they have to keep opening an INVISIBLE box item, and then go some screens away for it to respawn.
I just did some research to post here, the drop rate is: "Seitengrate bow = 0.0001% chance"!!!

Isn't it just overkill ? Like I said before, if they don't want us to use it in anything in the game, why don't they just put this as a reward for beating the strongest enemy in the game ? Sure, there aren't anything left to kill but at least it's a prize with a single 100% drop.

Developers could do this back in the NES, SNES and early PSX days when we didn't have internet to share this things with everybody, but nowadays if I see people telling me I have to go through 'out of this world' drop rates to play a game, guess what ? I just don't even touch the game and they just lost some bucks. If the game is a fair challenge (even if it's more than I can take), Monster Hunter, Demon's Souls, etc then it's Ok but if they don't this just for their own sordid pleasure, count me out.

That's nothing though compared to acquiring the dreaded Danjuro. A weapon only has a 3% base drop rate but it is only dropped by one rare enemy deep in the game's highest level dungeon (which is in of itself about four full dungeons away from the nearest warp point). The rare enemy that requires you to slay 256 enemies within the dungeon to show up per spawn and you need to grind off of it to increase your chain and thus improve the odds of a Danjuro to drop all the way up to 12%. The nearest save spot is well within the dungeon prior to the one where the rare enemy is (but this is moot anyways given how you need to build up a high chain to have any chance of getting this one weapon).

Of course I still get a kick out of how the one accessory that is supposed to help increase your odds for better loot makes all the treasure chests with the best stuff downgrade to utter crap (and without warning no less).

FFXII is loving sadistic to completionists.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »

random battles. I hate random battles.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 02:39:56 PM »

Tutorials that go on for the first half of the game or more.

This, definitely. Tutorials are alright if they're short and sweet but sometimes I feel like they're assuming an impossible level of idiocy. I remember being very frustrated with the FFVIII tutorials because they were so bloody slow.

I don't have a problem with random battles. They're only annoying when - as Dincrest pointed out earlier - you have to backtrack after a mission or you're desperately seeking out a save spot. :(

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 03:17:55 PM »

Basically all of FF12 is a broken gameplay element. I wish I could time travel and prevent its creation. Kind of like the Terminator.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 04:30:20 PM »

Pay no mind to Thoren. He's an idiot, folks.

Random battles NEED TO GO.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 05:33:41 PM »

Pay no mind to Hidoshi, folks. He's a municipal abortionist AND a commie.

I remember being very frustrated with the FFVIII tutorials because they were so bloody slow.

Oh god remember old, non-interactive Squaresoft menu tutorials that ALWAYS went one menu item PAST the desired one them backed up to it?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 07:34:30 PM »

Wait, what?

I've never played anything pre-FF8 actually (which says more about my age than I'd like) so I'm not sure if you're describing FF8's annoying menu tutorials or something before that.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 07:42:49 PM »

FF7 had a tutorial explaining Materia. That was all I think, and to be frank - it needs the explanation the first time you play it.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Roger S. Huxley

rogershuxley9
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 08:02:03 PM »

You could skip FFVIII's tutorials though, I'm pretty sure of that.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2010, 08:05:45 PM »

Ten year-old me probably didn't know any better. :P

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2010, 08:11:03 PM »

Although I'm generally anti-random encounters, the way the encounter mechanics were handled in Lufia: Ruins of Lore made me wish that game had random encounters.  That game was see-your-enemies-on-the-field-beforehand done horribly horribly wrong. 

Some of Aldorlea's games like Millennium allow players to change the random encounter rate on the fly, which is nice. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2010, 08:24:37 PM »

Ten year-old me probably didn't know any better. :P

At ten years old I was still trying to figure out my "Your"'s from my "You're"'s. You make me feel horribly inferior and I insist that you cease and desist.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2010, 08:38:48 PM »

They go as far back as FFV. FFV's job system was explained by Boco the Chocobo. FFVIs Relic and Magicite systems were explained by Mog the Moogle. FF7s were explained by Cloud, and FFVIII were explained by Quistis. All were about comperable. I think FFVs were the longest and slowest though. I don't really remember FF8s though, but they were probably the most forgivable because the system was the most complicated. Materia and Magicite are fucking dirt simple though, they didn't really need those tutorials.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: