Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 09:38:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334809 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Is Square-Enix out of talent?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: Is Square-Enix out of talent?  (Read 19437 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 10, 2010, 03:39:04 PM »

They can't seem to make a decent big budget game anymore. They're become a great publisher (Just Cause 2, Deus Ex, etc) but I am losing faith in their development teams. Sure they can make a decent handheld game, but it's been 9 years since they released a main "Final Fantasy" that I truly enjoyed. A lot of Japanese developers have been left behind in this era of video game development, it seems like Square Enix lacks good design choices for their console games.

Edit: Even the music, while still good, has lost it's touch. Just compare these two songs:

Lightning's Theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke281MBhpDg
vs
Tifa's Theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wk3CtAW-KE

Which do you like more? Which one expresses the character better?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 03:46:15 PM by Thoren » Logged
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 04:03:39 PM »

They can't seem to make a decent big budget game anymore. They're become a great publisher (Just Cause 2, Deus Ex, etc) but I am losing faith in their development teams. Sure they can make a decent handheld game, but it's been 9 years since they released a main "Final Fantasy" that I truly enjoyed. A lot of Japanese developers have been left behind in this era of video game development, it seems like Square Enix lacks good design choices for their console games.

Edit: Even the music, while still good, has lost it's touch. Just compare these two songs:

Lightning's Theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke281MBhpDg
vs
Tifa's Theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wk3CtAW-KE

Which do you like more? Which one expresses the character better?

FF13 is one of my favorite in the series, so I say no, they still have talent.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 04:09:14 PM »

Well that is your opinion and you are welcome to it.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 04:13:50 PM »

I 'truly enjoyed' Final Fantasy XII.  It wans't a perfect game, but it did more right than wrong.  I'd even rank it above the PS1 FF games that everyone seems to love, except maybe IX.  But then, the last Final Fantasy that I really fell in love with was VI...

XIII was garbage, though...

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 04:14:48 PM »

They still make Dragon Quest, which is still the best RPG series in the world, so no.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 04:15:46 PM »

I think that everyone in this forum knows that Square Enix makes RPGs for a whole new generation of gamers (and those who grew up playing Xenogears, Vagrant Story or Chrono Cross in their "golden days" when the company was known as Squaresoft has just move on to better things). And like I said a couple of days ago... the last game that I've enjoyed from Square Enix was Final Fantasy X-2. Since then, there's hasn't been one game developed by Square Enix that I can say "It was good", hopefully, The 3rd Birthday turns out to be a good/great game.

Because if they can't even make a good Parasite Eve game, they are going to be the most useless company ever. And I guess there's a lot of people out there praying for Versus XIII being a mind blowing game, but after all the shit that Square Enix brings and especially after Final Fantasy XIII... I can't believe in them too much.

But as always, there's gonna be the random guy who says "Square Enix still makes good games"; No, they don't. It's time to open your eyes before you open your wallet.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 04:26:44 PM »

There's been a pretty significant drop in quality since the PS1 era, that is obvious.

Out of talent? I wouldn't be that drastic. I would say they just need an influx of fresh blood rather than letting Nomura do everything.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
SnaggleToe
Indie Developer

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 04:29:52 PM »

Well without getting dragged into the whole Final Fantasy thing, I'd say there's still some talent. Chaos Rings looks pretty good to me. Unfortunately I don't have a smart-phone, so I'm crossing my fingers that Squeenix will want to milk the game by releasing it for XboxLive and Wiiware.

I'd agree that Japanese developers seem to be dropping the ball. Capcom looks like the only company that is moving forward without loosing their identity.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 04:31:06 PM »

Well, TWEWY says no for one thing.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 04:33:01 PM »

I wouldn't say they are out of talent yet, but it's depleting fast.

If anything the company has lost its heart. I really can't tell if they care about games anymore or if it is just how they make their living.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 04:43:03 PM »

There's been a pretty significant drop in quality since the PS1 era, that is obvious.

Out of talent? I wouldn't be that drastic. I would say they just need an influx of fresh blood rather than letting Nomura do everything.

isn't that what most Japanese companies don't do?  I've always heard of them generally sticking to their guns with talent they already have than looking for some fresh blood.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 04:46:25 PM »

Square Enix still pumps out JRPGs at the highest rates that are usually good, sometimes great and rarely excellent; which suits me fine.

Finished RPG Count: 90
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 04:46:47 PM »

Want a more classic Final Fantasy?  Watch Final Fantasy XIV.

Yeah I know, waaaaaaaaaah it's an MMO blah blah blah.  But seriously.  Keep an eye on Final Fantasy XIV.  I think some of you may end up surprised.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 04:48:13 PM »

In the end it's a matter of opinion. Yggdrasil says he hasn't enjoyed a FF since X-2 and most people hate that game. A lot of people thought XII was the best of all playstation FF's. I loved XIII and what the OP says about the soundtrack is BS, what are you trying to prove by comparing one of Uematsu's best pieces with a random track from XIII? The soundtrack as a whole is a masterpiece and only surpassed by VIII as far as I'm concerned. Why didn't you compare dust to dust with cait sith's theme for example? Give me a break.

The square from the 16 and 32 bit era is gone, just like sega and so many others, get over it. God only knows that I'd trade the next 10 SE games for a new entry in the panzer dragoon series but it ain't happening. Fortunately there's more than enough talent in other studios to keep us entertained, why the FF thing is such a fucking drama is beyond me, you'd think there's nothing else to play.  

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 04:52:40 PM »

Does Square Enix still produce good games?  Yes.  But other developers have been stepping up their game big time and producing more compelling, "better" games.  We all remember the days when Square used to be king, but every king has its usurpers attempting to take the throne. 

Of course, RPG frequenters like ourselves may think Square's losing it, but perhaps gamers who maybe only play a couple of RPGs here and there are still taken by Final Fantasy. 

I've said this before, my favorite Square Enix game of the past 5 years is The World Ends With You.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: