Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 04:05:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334701 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Is Square-Enix out of talent?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: Is Square-Enix out of talent?  (Read 19403 times)
Stealth20k
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2010, 09:15:26 AM »

Square is out of brains. They publish utter crap and throw there classic titles away.

Where the F is joker 2 and dq vi in america already?
howitis

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2010, 01:55:19 PM »

Lost Odyssey is what ff13 should have been.  greatest sound track of all time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL-rDuve72I&feature=related
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2010, 01:58:26 PM »

Lost Odyssey's music was perfection. It fits the game perfectly. A mix of fantasy yet it invokes the feeling of technology and military. Music that makes you look forward to tomorrow.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2010, 02:00:14 PM »

Seriously, if I go look at SE only in story-terms I have to say FF9, FF10 and Drakengard 1 & 2 are my absolute favourite, as well as the world ends with you. If we are talking about the whole game... FF9, Drakengards and TWEWY remain, thought I found the Drakengard-gameplay to be somewhat limited.

FF9 and FF10 were Squaresoft, not Square-Enix. Drakengard was developed by Cavia.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2010, 02:10:18 PM »

I wouldn't say they're out of talent... More like not having much direction and securing their known franchises (Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean, Eidos stuff, etc.) rather than making new big ones.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2010, 02:24:13 PM »

Seriously, if I go look at SE only in story-terms I have to say FF9, FF10 and Drakengard 1 & 2 are my absolute favourite, as well as the world ends with you. If we are talking about the whole game... FF9, Drakengards and TWEWY remain, thought I found the Drakengard-gameplay to be somewhat limited.

FF9 and FF10 were Squaresoft, not Square-Enix. Drakengard was developed by Cavia.

You have an edit button. Use it.
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2010, 02:55:56 PM »

The most engaging games (IMO) that have come out of SE in the past few years have all been developed by outside companies. Namely the last two SE games I've played and truly enjoyed were The World Ends with You and Nier. The thing I liked most about both of these games, aside from the music, was the atmosphere. It probably helped that I played TWEWY while I was living in Japan, but the setting and atmosphere felt perfect to me. Nier's setting was frankly amazing, but I've got an irrational love for post-apocalyptic-now-rebuilt settings (another example would be FFX).

Final Fantasy XIII /seemed/ to have both of these settings: a bustling city area (Cocoon) and a formerly occupied world that's been reclaimed by nature (Pulse). The difference is that you really don't feel like a part of the world, regardless of the amount of exploration afforded to you in later parts of the game. Cocoon is supposedly densely populated but for the most part it felt like a ghost-town (ghost-country?). The setting in Nier was very obviously that of a dying world, but it still felt lived-in, and the relatively sparse population made sense. TWEWY was extremely densely populated, and even though there was a story element that made you unable to interact with a bunch of people, I still felt as though I were more a part of that world due to being able to have at least /some/ interaction.

The biggest thing, though, is that TWEWY and Nier had charm where FFXIII had almost none (for me at least). SE is definitely not as good at internal developing as they used to be, but I don't think they're out of talent. FFXIII's music was top notch, even if it felt more like a film score to me, and graphically I think they're still the best, but they're so focused on capitalizing on the JRPG genre that I feel as though a lot of their recent games are sorely lacking in charm.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2010, 04:06:35 PM »

I thought FF9 was less remembered because it came out at the end of the PSX's lifespan.

I'm not 100% sure I buy that as a primary reason.  FF12 was at the tail end of the Playstation 2's lifespan and it's still a hotly debated game.  Thus I still believe that FF9 is the forgotten FF primarily because it was a throwback that generally played it safe.  There really wasn't anything glaring for us to nerd-rage over on web forums.  Still a very good game, though. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2010, 04:40:43 PM »

A lot of people consider FF9 to be one of the best games in the series. Also the PSX and PS2 are not parallel situations. The PS2 had much more prolonged success and exposure even after the next generation of consoles came out. God of War 2 only came out in 2007 after all. I still think coming out in the PSX's late lifespan had something to do with it, although I am sure both reasons were important.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2010, 03:45:27 AM »

Final Fantasy IX is a pretty good game, and I'm glad that the game still keeps his "classy status" even today. And is kinda funny that the last Final Fantasy that I enjoyed was X-2. I think that as video game, it was fun. As Final Fantasy title, it was awful. As a sequel, it was actually pretty decent (for all the wrong reasons).

For me, it was just a game that you can have a good time for a while. Finish it, and that's that. But so much people get so mad with the game that it was almost wierd to me to see the reaction on the Internet. But oh well, to each their own.

And to be honest, I don't care about Final Fantasy at all since then or almost any other game that Square Enix develops. There's just two games that I'm excited to play nowadays and those are Necromachina and The 3rd Birthday.

Necromachina is in good hands, and it looks really fun. And I'm hoping for a good future for Aya Brea, please don't suck. :)
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2010, 11:56:04 AM »

Lost Odyssey is what ff13 should have been.

Bland, but with a decent soundtrack?

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2010, 03:28:37 PM »

doesnt the team that worked on chrono cross work only on mmo's now? i could see how that would be a problem for some of you. i think the people that started with the older FF's like 4 and 6 are just looking for nostalgia and put those games on a pedastool they dont deserve to be on.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2010, 03:33:43 PM »

You have an edit button. Use it.

I've been seeing a lot of double posting recently here, especially with staff but people rarely seem to notice it
edit: i forgot to mention this, but lost odyssey has been getting a lot of praise randomly just recently even though most people thought it was just okay back when it was first released
anyway, kingdom hearts games are still awesome
i'm also convinced that world ends with you game is really good even though I don't have a ds to play it
haven't played ff13 but ff12 was fun to play in most cases even if it had a dumb story
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 03:42:49 PM by insertnamehere » Logged

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
xellos2099

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2010, 03:34:12 PM »

I actually like Magna Carta 2 more than ffxiii.  Granted, FFXIII look way better but the story and character is much more likable in Magna Carta 2 than FFXIII.  I also prefer MC 2 battle system a bit more, with ability to chain attack with your teammate on the fly. 
Stealth20k
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2010, 03:57:36 PM »

And magna carta 2 sold about 3 copies and has the distinction of being the last exclusive rpg on the 360 for probably ever.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: