Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 25, 2014, 02:58:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341512 Posts in 13953 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Shinji Mikami - JRPGS were "never really popular"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Shinji Mikami - JRPGS were "never really popular"  (Read 3466 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 10, 2010, 04:30:28 PM »

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=250381?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

Wasn't he supposed to chop his own head off?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 04:35:59 PM »

What utter drivel.

I haven't seen Resident Evil change up it's formula much over the years. Same can be said for other popular series' like Grand Theft Auto, Zelda and Pokemon. So how can how often you change things up and re-define the genre be equated to popularity?

It sounds to me like the guy is just saying things to be "controversial" .
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 04:37:40 PM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 04:46:58 PM »

If he were criticising the formula, I could understand, but to say something like this just seems like he's stirring up shit to get attention.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 05:03:14 PM »

Mikami is cool, Vanquish looks OK. RPGs are video games. People live their lives, and tomorrow will be a better a day.

I mean, there's better things to talk about. Like, E3 or what are you going to eat to tomorrow. But this? I have enough of this "RPGs are blah".
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 05:05:13 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 05:10:51 PM »

I agree with him. The main Final Fantasy, Pokemon and maybe Kingdom Hearts are the only JRPG series that have been able to compete with the sales of a Gran Theft Auto, Resident Evil, Call of Duty.

JRPG fans can be the most devoted types, but there aren't as many in NA and Europe compared to the Call of Duty or Halo fanbase.

Finished RPG Count: 90
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 05:19:35 PM »

What utter drivel.

I haven't seen Resident Evil change up it's formula much over the years. Same can be said for other popular series' like Grand Theft Auto, Zelda and Pokemon. So how can how often you change things up and re-define the genre be equated to popularity?

It sounds to me like the guy is just saying things to be "controversial" .

Resident Evil 4 didn't change up the formula? What the fuck are you talking about?
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 05:48:19 PM »

I don't know why any of you would disagree with those statements.  Japanese RPGs have always been niche and have definitely changed very little over the years.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 05:51:56 PM »

I don't know why any of you would disagree with those statements.  Japanese RPGs have always been niche and have definitely changed very little over the years.

I was thinking the same. There's been a small number of breakout hits, but with the exception of a few that have their 15 minutes of fame (like Tales apparently) only FF and DQ reliably command huge numbers. It's not like being unpopular=bad anyway.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 06:03:47 PM »

People seem to think every jrpg sells as much as FF in the west. FF is in a completely different reality compared with every other game in the genre (well, except pokemon...). Everyone is familiar with names like star ocean but how many people actually buy them?

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 06:05:15 PM »

People seem to think every jrpg sells as much as FF in the west. FF is in a completely different reality compared with every other game in the genre (well, except pokemon...). Everyone is familiar with names like star ocean but how many people actually buy them?

If Star Ocean 4 was as good as Star Ocean 2 I would have bought it.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 06:24:53 PM »

I don't care if they stay niche forever, so long as they're never so niche that they stop making or translating them...

The future of JRPGs in the US is in the hands of companies like Atlus, Xseed, and NISA, not S-E.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 06:38:54 PM »

Most people who post on sites like rpgfan will end up buying it regardless, no doubt, but the average gamer didn't even play SO2. I agree with kevadu though, we're still getting the ones that matter (most of them anyway) so it's all good.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 11:25:06 PM »

Star Ocean sucks, what the hell are you talking about?

The future of JRPGs in the US is in the hands of companies like Atlus, Xseed, and NISA, not S-E.

That's the spirit! >:3
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 12:25:42 AM »

Atlus, yes. Xseed, maybe. NISA? Fuck that shit. I hope they go under and take their subpar localizations with them.

Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 12:26:30 AM »

most of my casual/almost non gaming  (play sports/1st person shooter/wii sports...etc) friends could not name another rpg title besides Final Fantasy even if their lives depended on it. Running joke at my old college was if it didn't have halo or cod in the title they are not playing it.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: