Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 09:55:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338011 Posts in 13838 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Shinji Mikami - JRPGS were "never really popular"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Shinji Mikami - JRPGS were "never really popular"  (Read 3401 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 12:29:15 AM »

NISA? Fuck that shit. I hope they go under and take their subpar localizations with them.

Seconding this. Sakura Wars is the first and will be the last NISA localized game I'll ever buy.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 12:32:09 AM »

NISA? Fuck that shit. I hope they go under and take their subpar localizations with them.

At least they try.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 12:35:55 AM »

Not anymore. The AT2 game crashing bug was pretty much the last straw. I refuse to touch anything that's passed through their hands now. I'd rather pay more to import.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 12:40:03 AM »

Admittedly you're in a better position there due to knowing enough Japanese to get through these games. For someone like me... Actually, most of their library isn't very interesting anyway, and the one that is was partially due to being confounded it was coming out here at all (Sakura Wars).
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 01:19:37 AM »

I like Mikami quite a bit actually and also agree with Yggdrasil about Vanquish. I wish he would leave and join Kamiya at Platinum so we can finally have clover back, but I really doubt he would since he was promoted at Capcom very recently.

Growing up, I would always feel embarrassed when kids at school would ask me, "what game are you playing?" "Legend of Legaia..." "...what?"  "Mario." "oh, ok."

EDIT* yeah im on crazy pills, Mikami is at platinum -_-  who the fuck am i thinking of then?

EDIT**Inafune! 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 01:26:56 AM by Uru » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 02:07:26 AM »

Not anymore. The AT2 game crashing bug was pretty much the last straw. I refuse to touch anything that's passed through their hands now. I'd rather pay more to import.

Ouch, so much hate for NISA.  The AT2 fiasco aside (come on, the game was still quite playable), I think they did a pretty good job on Sakura Wars.  But anyway, I really can't wish them ill because most of the games they handle would probably never be localized otherwise.  Sure importing is fine if your Japanese is good enough...I'm still working on that, myself.  I have an import copy of AT3 but the amount of dialogue in that game is intimidating.  I'll happily purchase it again when we get a localized version.

wildcard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 02:14:24 AM »

Atlus, yes. Xseed, maybe. NISA? Fuck that shit. I hope they go under and take their subpar localizations with them.

Seriously, I do not care which company does the translations, as long as one does it in a way it's understandable. As NISA just happens to be the one having brought some of my most fav games to english, I'm seriously against it :3
To be completely honest: I'd rather take the localizations for NISA and others, than the german one's -.-
SE has blotched up there too: FFX - Since when does "I love you" and "Thank you" mean the same... *facepalm*

Either way, more on topic:
Uh... RPGs generally aren't THAT popular, compared to repetitive scoccer and racing games or ego-shooter ones and stuff like that.
Do I care?
No, not as long as I still get what I want.

But the WRPG vs JRPG talk really gets... boring.
We all have different preferences and mine go in both directions. Thought I have to admit I only play JRPGs on my console, while WRPGs ALWAYS end up on my PC. Most WRPGs can't even be played well on a console (Dragon Age for example. I tried, but it sucks compared to PC gameplay).
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2010, 05:16:03 AM »

Since when does "I love you" and "Thank you" mean the same... *facepalm*

Actually, there's a difference... a cultural difference from what I've read.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2010, 10:23:47 AM »

Atlus, yes. Xseed, maybe. NISA? Fuck that shit. I hope they go under and take their subpar localizations with them.

XSeed is amazing, their only problem is that the only liscences they seem to be able to get reliably are for sub-par games like the Valhalla Knights series.  When they get a good game to work with, like Little King's Story or Retro Game Challenge, they do a fantastic job.

I expect really good things to come from their partnership with Falcom.  And I don't even really like Falcom games!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: