Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 06:06:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334670 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  permanent death now optional in new Fire Emblem
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: permanent death now optional in new Fire Emblem  (Read 5978 times)
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2010, 12:42:23 PM »

I think people are getting upset because they're taking an otherwise completely generic strategy RPG and removing making the only feature that made it unique optional.

True, but the game can still be a unique experience for those who want it that way, plus it can open up the series to new fans who were turned off by permanent death.  It sucks that it's like that, but I'd rather have more people play a game and ensure the series will continue to go on.  Also, if the series is so generic that the only thing separating it from others was permanent death, then the developers need to think outside of the box by offering something more unique than permanent death.  If that's such a make or break feature by making it optional, then clearly the series needs something beyond that to make it stand out.  Maybe, for once it's not depending on permanent death to sell, maybe it will have something else that's unique enough to keep it afloat.

professor ganson, maybe they will up the difficultly in the game to balance out the permanent death option, the thing is we can't really know until we play it.  

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2010, 12:51:57 PM »

So, Parn, I'll just ignore the fact that you're rude and obnoxious

Wow, nothing gets past you!

I would strongly prefer that they spend time crafting more difficult options, not less difficult ones.

Here's the thing.  The coding involved to make death optional is not difficult, at all.  It has little bearing on the game's overall development.

Now, if you had simply made commentary on how you think the series is too easy and that there should be more difficulty modes to accommodate folks who want more of a challenge, I'd be onboard.  Or alternatively, if they had removed the perma-death entirely, I also would have been onboard.  But going "lame" over the issue of players having an extra gameplay option is dumb.
professor ganson

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2010, 12:56:22 PM »

Still, if it turns out to be a lame option, as I expect it will be, then it's lame to include it in the game.  The game would be better off without it.  Let's just hope it's not lame.

Good point, Kstar.

Alfa System Forever
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2010, 12:58:43 PM »

Or it can be used by people like me who don't especially want to keep playing the same battles over and over because we lost our star fighter.

Seriously, some of us do not have the time for that.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2010, 01:01:55 PM »

Still, if it turns out to be a lame option, as I expect it will be, then it's lame to include it in the game.  The game would be better off without it.  Let's just hope it's not lame.

professor ganson

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2010, 01:10:20 PM »

Ha, good likeness, though I'm a bit more rough around the edges.

Alfa System Forever
fates

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2010, 04:02:26 PM »

I kinda liked how FFT handled perma-death. Gave you a countdown to bring them back, which meant you had to res them or win the fight in the time given. Added some tenseness to battles if a unit got whacked. And even if they did they, you could go and get an ability off them (or use them for HP/MP). I remember the battle before getting to castle where you fight Belias (Riovannes I think), lost a ninja I sent far off and raced to beat the mission before her counter went down, was a very, very tense match, but that made it pretty fun.

/ramble

Got a bit annoyed by it though when I lost one of the units that joined with Agrias... since you needed them both to unlock the Agrias Birthday event in War of the Lions, which I didn't know until it was too late.

As for FE... really don't see an issue though if you are given a choice. If you like the franchise the way it is, turn perma-death on, if not, turn it off.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2010, 04:06:27 PM »

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
professor ganson

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2010, 06:42:52 PM »

Bizarre that you would repeat such a lame post twice.  Whatever you think of the value of permadeath, it's one of the hallmarks of the series, and it's pretty radical to depart from the formula.  It would be odd for fans of the series not to have reactions and discuss!  I guess I'm missing what's lame in this thread apart from your posts.

Also, your post concedes that dropping permadeath is lame, so at least we agree about that!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 06:46:26 PM by professor ganson » Logged

Alfa System Forever
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2010, 06:49:18 PM »

I have previously stated in the other Fire Emblem thread that I would choose to not turn off Perma-death. As I actually enjoy it.

The only small fear I have with the option is, what if it is met with such critical acclaim, as an awesome improvement to the series. That the next game they release will be build upon the notion of there NOT being an option to have your characters die permanently.

If that is the way it goes, and more people do start playing Fire Emblem because you can make your characters not die, then it might go that way. As it would make sense financially.

Just on a personal standpoint I would hope that won't happen. Sure, it's nice that other people will get more enjoyment out of it, but those people aren't me.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2010, 08:07:10 PM »

I like how some people seem to think that a game is somehow incapable of having a huge spread of difficulty to cater to both casual and hardcore gamers at the same time.

If Fire Emblem becomes way too easy and doesn't have the option to have a really difficult game, it will be because of developer incompetence and not because of the introduction of an optional feature.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2010, 08:09:31 PM »

Is this how the death of gaming is met? With thunderous applause..
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2010, 08:34:55 PM »

My experience with the first GBA FE was this:

1. Spend 15 turns moving everyone across a huge battlefield to some choke point.
2. Get unlucky and lose someone immediately.
3. RESTART.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2010, 08:56:37 PM »

I just remembered something.

In the Shining Force games, you are able to revive fallen comrades when killed in battle.  In the numerous times I played all three scenarios of Shining Force 3, despite the fact that I could revive teammates, I always made it a point to never let a teammate die simply because I always wanted to see a big fat 0 under every character's "deaths" stat.

Just some food for thought.
professor ganson

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2010, 09:04:35 PM »

Yeah, it really adds to the experience if you give yourself goals, like trying to reach max stats or at least max level for as many characters as you can in Fire Emblem.

Alfa System Forever
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: