Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 12:45:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338681 Posts in 13864 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  "Confessions of a Hypocritical MMO Player, In Three Acts" Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: "Confessions of a Hypocritical MMO Player, In Three Acts" Discussion  (Read 5296 times)
Akito

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 14, 2010, 11:36:33 AM »

Hopefully this was the right place to post this!

I enjoyed that editorial. I'm willing to bet many long time players go through similar conflicts in MMO gaming. I was a staunch MMO hater, being raised a console RPG'er. I was pushed to try FFXI and learned the basics of mmo-etiquette and went far. I then moved on to WoW with some friends and was totally sucked in. I had this same character for 5 years and was my only level 80 (level capped) one.

My story ends differently though, earlier this year I decided to end it for good. Being a fresh college grad in this weak economy I found it an easy/cheap escape, but bad in the long term because of my addictive personality. It was tough, I totally had the same attachment to the "toon" Patrick had. My way of keeping him "alive" though was to order one of those figureprints.com statues and leave him on my desktop as a tribute to the time spent and rewards earned on that game. Seeing him decked out in gear I "grinded" to get keeps me from re-installing in the long run...hopefully.

Any other MMO player stories?
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 01:06:10 PM »

I've never really played an MMO, and I'd never heard of that figureprints site, but DANG.  It's sickly tempting to play so I could buy one of those figures!  And I even saw how much they cost!

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 04:11:16 PM »

I'm with you, Ramza!

I'd probably go the same route as Akito eventually, except FFXI has no such service for making such a model. Of course, given that they seem to make the things from scratch, I wonder if they would be willing to take a custom order of some sort, or if there's similar sites out there for more general requests...
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 04:39:43 PM »

I started out with Wow then left that game for WarHammer. After about a year I left that game for Aion.  My account then got hacked and  all my gear got stripped. I then canceled my sub a couple of days later. After quiting  aion and battling mmo withdrawl for about a month, I realized just how much of my life I had wasted playing mmos the end....atleast until Star Wars lol. My dedication to the wow toon was nuts,  complete with the typical 4 raids per week schedule.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 04:47:26 PM by Chronix112 » Logged
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 04:32:13 PM »

I used to spend a lot of time in FFXI. Of course I had more difficulty with the game than others. I tend to be a solo player in mmorpgs which may lead to the question of why I play them in the first place. It took a lot of grinding to get the character to a high level and although there were some parts too difficult to beat on my own, for the majority of it I managed okay (Thank you Beastmaster).

I thought that when I quit it would be easy as I had no interest in the end game contents. However it seemed I had grown attached to my character and the amount of work it took to build him up.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 10:46:10 PM »

btw I'm on FFXI right now.

Cap-breaking quest is to turn in 3 merit points and 5 kindred seals to Maat (or the Moogle next to him).

So that's funny. To gain access to levels that will take more grinding, I had better have saved up, or now grind, another 30,000 exp.

I don't plan on sleeping til WHM76. :)

EDIT -- all CoP zones have had their level caps removed. ENM fights are still capped. Mission fights are not. Anyone who doesn't get CoP done now is absurdly bad at the game. :P
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 12:59:35 AM by Ramza » Logged

Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 03:27:51 AM »

Anyone who doesn't get CoP done now is absurdly bad at the game. :P

Um.. yeah. That's about as ignorant blanket of a statement as they come. You've neglected to note that they've raised the mob level in Promyvion and I quote...

The upcoming version update will see the lifting of level restrictions in Chains of Promathia areas. In light of the planned level cap increase, the level and distribution of enemies in certain Promathia areas will also be adjusted to pose a worthy challenge to players level 75 and beyond. A journey of rediscovery to your favorite areas of old awaits!

You don't think SE would really make it easy on anyone do you?  Don't forget that quite a bit of CoP required you to be 75 anyway and its still a bitch. I've been trying to get a group to finish those fucking pots for a year and nobody wants to touch it. Not having instant access to a static does not make you bad at a game, i'm sure there's still quite a few people who will still have a problem finishing the expansion.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 03:33:11 AM by Tenchi-no-Ryu » Logged
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 03:30:55 AM »

The level ~80 monsters in the uncapped CoP areas are generally out of reach on your way to missions unless you aren't paying any attention whatsoever. Would be pretty dumb of SE to remove the caps on CoP stuff and then make it so that you need level 99 buddies to clear the way to the BC anyway.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 03:35:04 AM »

Would be pretty dumb of SE to remove the caps on CoP stuff and then make it so that you need level 99 buddies to clear the way to the BC anyway.

You do realize we're talking about SE right?
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 03:53:39 AM »

Yeah. Although, while a lot of times their decisions seem dumb (Well, because they are), rarely is it actually "illogical", if that makes any sense.

EDIT:

hey guys it took me like 4 years but i finally got there

i got hp+11 and vit+1 for my trouble. along with that atk- ninjutsu i'm obviously a good ways towards being a ninja blood tank
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 05:11:22 AM by Hathen » Logged
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 03:36:42 PM »

Wewt, congrats. I've got the xp, but I need to work on the merits first. Probably be next week since I just got in Transformers: War for Cybertron - and it's fucking awesome :)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 06:23:51 PM »

Congrats, Hathen!

A friend of mine showed me the trailer for that Transformers game a while back, and it looked amazingly fun.  Maybe enough to get me on the MMO train...

Edit: read a review and found that I had misunderstood the game.  Not an MMO.  3rd person action game with coop and competitive multiplayer online.  Even better!  I hate people! ;)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 06:28:12 PM by Tooker » Logged

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 10:54:41 PM »

Anyone who doesn't get CoP done now is absurdly bad at the game. :P

Um.. yeah. That's about as ignorant blanket of a statement as they come. You've neglected to note that they've raised the mob level in Promyvion and I quote...

wtf man. I'm not running around making ignorant blanket statements. Any running around I'm doing is THROUGH THE COP ZONES where all the enemies we were used to fighting are now all "Too Weak," but they added some new mobs you have to watch out for. Ohnoes.

Don't talk to me about ignorance until you log back into the game.

Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 01:37:27 AM »

How is "Anyone who doesn't get CoP done now is absurdly bad at the game." not a blanket statement? Your making a judgment call on someone's ability to play the game based on the lifting of level caps on a portion of the content available, when a greatest deal of the difficulty in CoP comes from being able to put together a cohesive and competent group. That's irrespective of skill and an entirely unfair assessment, and it's actually quite rude. You also know a fair chunk of the expansion requires you to run around in Al'Tieu, which is still hostile no matter what level. So, instead of getting butt-hurt and retaliating with things like "Don't talk to me about ignorance until you log back into the game." maybe you should read what I was trying to illustrate.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 06:00:06 PM »

How is "Anyone who doesn't get CoP done now is absurdly bad at the game." not a blanket statement? Your making a judgment call on someone's ability to play the game based on the lifting of level caps on a portion of the content available, when a greatest deal of the difficulty in CoP comes from being able to put together a cohesive and competent group. That's irrespective of skill and an entirely unfair assessment, and it's actually quite rude. You also know a fair chunk of the expansion requires you to run around in Al'Tieu, which is still hostile no matter what level. So, instead of getting butt-hurt and retaliating with things like "Don't talk to me about ignorance until you log back into the game." maybe you should read what I was trying to illustrate.

OH NO! AN INTERNET ARGUMENT!

You might also see the :-P in his post that typically indicates some form of sarcasm and humor intended in the comment.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: