Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 04:16:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331919 Posts in 13590 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Who's going to take the plunge with the Xbox 360 Slim?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Who's going to take the plunge with the Xbox 360 Slim?  (Read 4539 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 02:04:43 PM »

The only thing that rubs me the wrong way is finally adding built-in WiFi. There was no excuse for the original model to not have that feature. Then again, Sony is even worse marketing the PS3 originally for it's HD capabilities, and then not packaging it with any HDMI or HD Component cables.

Given that cables are widely available and can be had for as little as $5 and MS charges an outrageous $100 for their proprietary wifi adaptor, no, Sony is not worse.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 02:22:56 PM »

Microsoft's also dumped component and HDMI cables from all their consoles in favor of only packing in composite, so they actually went to Sony's level there. Of course, you could argue half of the new purchases are just replacing a dead system, so the cables would be unnecessarily redundant.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 02:37:41 PM »

The WiFi thing is probably because when the 360 launched there was no precedent set for a console to have built in WiFi. All consoles from the previous generation required cables (except the original Xbox which also needed an expensive add on).

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 05:36:50 PM »

The only thing that rubs me the wrong way is finally adding built-in WiFi. There was no excuse for the original model to not have that feature. Then again, Sony is even worse marketing the PS3 originally for it's HD capabilities, and then not packaging it with any HDMI or HD Component cables.

Given that cables are widely available and can be had for as little as $5 and MS charges an outrageous $100 for their proprietary wifi adaptor, no, Sony is not worse.

You have a point there. Although there are plenty of workarounds to the WiFi issue, and you are vastly underestimating the price of cables. Cheapest HDMI cable I could find was $25, and I can't imagine Component cables being much cheaper.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 06:11:26 PM »

But I digress. If I somehow end up with $300 I don't need, and I've already upgraded my computer, I might think about getting it.

What? The 360 didn't have hdmi cable either and I don't think it was ever advertised as an SD console. Not to mention the outrageous price of MS' wi-fi adapter compared to a HDMI cable.
I've been using the wi-fi on my ps3 since I got it, it's actually very convenient for me because of the way I've got things set up. I agree with whoever said that things like being reliable or having built in wi-fi should've been there from the start. That being said, it is a tempting package but I can't afford another system, let alone buying games for it. Hell, I don't even find the time to keep up with the ps3 games I buy and I don't buy that many.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 06:25:06 PM »

The built in wifi is compelling, but my PS3 already does that.

Depends on how much it is in Canadian $$$.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 07:34:38 PM »

Well, hopefully the $299 is universal but it may end up $349 Canadian.  Regardless, I may end up pawning off my elite to someone for around 200-250 dollars in a couple of months to get a snazzy slim version. I'll have to keep the HDMI cord that came with it though..apparently.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2010, 10:17:58 PM »

You have a point there. Although there are plenty of workarounds to the WiFi issue, and you are vastly underestimating the price of cables. Cheapest HDMI cable I could find was $25, and I can't imagine Component cables being much cheaper.

Dude - you're looking in the wrong places.  Here's a site I had bookmarked where you can get them for under $10. 
http://www.rogersystems.com/HDMI_Cables.html

When I bought some for my new TV a while ago, I bought them on an eBay deal where they have a ton... can't remember what they're called.  Here's one where you can get 6' cables for $2.88 with free shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PREMIUM-HDMI-1-3-CABLE-6-FT-GOLD-PS3-HDTV-1080P-/180497039357?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a06763ffd

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2010, 12:36:58 AM »

Just out of curiosity I did a search for 'HDMI cable' on Amazon.  Literally the first hit was $2.33.

It's true, though, that if you buy one in most retail stores they completely rip you off.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2010, 12:50:15 AM »

Oh, and that whole "gold-plated is better" stuff is crap.  Over the distance that the signal's traveling from your console to your TV, it's not possible that you could have signal degradation that would be in any way noticeably improved by getting gold-plated cables.  Those Monster Cable guys...

—Kurt Vonnegut
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2010, 01:28:42 AM »

Do NOT do this with your new Xbox 360.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2010, 06:22:38 AM »

HAHA! Ahh yes, I've wrecked copies of R6: Vegas and Forza 2 doing that.  I wonder why they didn't address that in the slim console. Weird.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2010, 10:31:36 AM »

That is hilariously tragic.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2010, 01:55:03 PM »

I might take the plunge in a few more months provided that all new RRoD horror stories don't start cropping up all over the place by then.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2010, 03:24:56 PM »

With it being a little over halfway into current gen life cycles, I was looking to finally pick up a 360 and maybe a wii, this is fucking disparaging to that decision. They must surely know theres a problem with the 360 "eating" games?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: