Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2014, 12:29:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332067 Posts in 13604 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Who's going to take the plunge with the Xbox 360 Slim?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Who's going to take the plunge with the Xbox 360 Slim?  (Read 4543 times)
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2010, 05:09:09 PM »

Wouldn't the PS3 do the same thing?  I thought optical drives were just like this.

Anyways, the new system is BA.  If mine breaks, I'm definitely buying the new one (shit, I wouldn't even mind if mine broke).

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2010, 07:16:22 PM »

While no optical drive is immune to this problem, the 360's seems to be exceptionally sensitive.  A fix shouldn't be that hard, either...it's pretty much inexcusable that they don't bother.

Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2010, 09:22:06 PM »

Wouldn't the PS3 do the same thing?  I thought optical drives were just like this.

Anyways, the new system is BA.  If mine breaks, I'm definitely buying the new one (shit, I wouldn't even mind if mine broke).

Fuck you past me.  You told this to your friends as well and now your goddamn system broke on Sunday.  Shut your mouth next time, mmmkay?

Looks like I'll be picking one up shortly.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2010, 10:40:06 PM »

I recall hearing the 360 was missing some rubber ring thing that helped buffer discs and make it harder to scratch. I seriously can't imagine it's so costly that you can't put that in yet you can go put a sticker warning to not move the system while it's in motion.
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2010, 07:53:07 PM »

Ended up picking one up. 

It's definitely very quiet.  A disk spinning in the drive is a fair bit quieter than an installed game on older models. 

It's not too much of a fingerprint machine like people thought it would be.

The N-wireless adapter built in is certainly appreciated.

I didn't realize this before, but it has no memory card slot.  Looks like I'm starting Mass Effect 2 over (not necessarily a bad thing, but I wish I could access some of my saves).

Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2010, 08:00:44 PM »

I hate how they give you a bigger HDD but quietly take away useful things like that (looking at you slim ps3  -_-)
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2010, 08:03:14 PM »

The funny part is, when I bought the arcade version a couple years ago I thought, "Well at least if this one breaks I'll always have the saved games on my memory card to use on the new machine!".  Oh well, still would rather have this one than an older model.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2010, 08:09:35 PM »

I didn't realize this before, but it has no memory card slot.  Looks like I'm starting Mass Effect 2 over (not necessarily a bad thing, but I wish I could access some of my saves).

Do you still have your old 360, or at least access to someone else's? If so just get a USB thumbdrive and copy your stuff over.
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2010, 08:19:42 PM »

Do you still have your old 360, or at least access to someone else's? If so just get a USB thumbdrive and copy your stuff over.

That's a good idea.  I'll probably do that.. I'll lose the ability to get achievements but that's ok.  Thanks for the tip.

Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2010, 08:31:06 PM »

; ;  i had a lot of saves on my memory card (camera one) when my 60 gig yellow lighted on me. opened up my shiny new slim, horror filled my face as there were no readers!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2010, 09:59:22 PM »

That's a good idea.  I'll probably do that.. I'll lose the ability to get achievements but that's ok.  Thanks for the tip.

Unless you were nuts enough to create a new account? You shouldn't, and even then you can just copy your old account over. As long as the saves are kept to the same profile (or something along those lines) you'll still earn achievements. I moved myself recently and still managed to get some extra ME achievements as well as GTA4 ones.

; ;  i had a lot of saves on my memory card (camera one) when my 60 gig yellow lighted on me. opened up my shiny new slim, horror filled my face as there were no readers!

Find a USB card/stick reader that will work with the PS3 and use that instead. Failing that, use said USB device on your computer, copy your saves to a regular USB thumbdrive, then copy those onto the PS3. Really, as long as you can copy your saves off to something you're not really boned with any system but the DS and to a lesser extent the Wii, the latter of which merely due to one option (SD Cards, which you should probably get at least a small one for anyway) and the fact locked saves are annoyingly more prevalent than either the PS3 or 360.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 10:01:58 PM by Eusis » Logged
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2010, 02:16:05 AM »

Picked up a new 360 yesterday, so I had to pop in here and say so.  As Akanbe said, much quieter, which is great.  I was using HDMI on my old 360 (actually had one old enough that an adapter was required), and I liked that I didn't have to restring the wire.  Could just use the same old one.  And although I did fine with wired internet, I liked being able to use wireless.  The 360 told me that my bandwidth is kinda crappy and I may have trouble if I play online... but I don't do that, so it's all good.  I don't remember the old one telling me that when it was wired up... but I found out that I've had it for something like 3 1/2 years.  So I don't exactly remember setting it up.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2010, 04:31:14 AM »

Look at THIS sexy fucking thing

http://kotaku.com/5594210/halo-reach-bundle-confirmed
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: