Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2014, 02:14:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331718 Posts in 13581 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Silent Hill 8
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Silent Hill 8  (Read 2896 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 17, 2010, 02:50:35 AM »

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3...nt-hill/700165

Coming in 2011

Apparently the guy who does the music for Dexter The Series is doing the music for this game.

I *want* to be excited, but at this point, the SH series is starting to become like the Sonic series.......

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 03:09:52 AM »

Shattered Memories really was a good title though, so it's not like it's been descending into complete crap with each successive title.

But yeah, I'm interested in seeing how this one turns out in contrast to other titles recently.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 03:13:51 AM »

I see a lot of potential and good ideas in that trailer, but the Silent Hill series ended with Silent Hilll 4: The Room. After that, Konami has just used the "SILENT HILL" title because there's mindless "fans" of the series who want more... but seriously, Konami doesn't need to do that.

Origins, Homecoming and Shattered Memories could have been new IPs and with a little more of effort *gasp* good games. Because when you put Silent Hill in the title you are bringing me hope to see a amazing survival-horror game (and the survival-horror genre has been dead since Silent Hill 3).

C'mon guys, the last game that (maybe) can scare the shit out of you is Dead Space. Everything else is useless.
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 04:50:46 AM »

C'mon guys, the last game that (maybe) can scare the shit out of you is Dead Space. Everything else is useless.
I play survival horrors for the ambiance and atmosphere though, not particularly to be scared (I seldom ever find them scary at all, 'cause I'm so busy soaking in the atmosphere, even back in the day). Also because I am tired because of every second title released nowadays, trying too damn hard to be "epic". So I don't personally think they're "useless", even if people don't find them scary. The only series I really ever dedicated myself to though was Fatal Frame. RE and SH (and every other title in-between) were really just my fixes which satiated my hunger for ambiance, in between every Fatal Frame installment. :P

And I think there's more pretentious "fans" who don't want more Silent Hill, over the mindless ones that do want them. :P I do agree though, that Shattered Memories would still work pretty well as a new IP. I think it's a fantastic game on its own.

In any case though, I want to at least play this game, before I make any concrete opinion on it. It looked interesting. So long as I can walk around several areas, soaking in ambiance, while interacting with random objects in the background, I'm pretty sure I'll like it. :l
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 05:02:01 AM by Dizzy » Logged

Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 09:23:55 AM »

The series ended for me when the team disbanded after finishing Silent Hill 4: The Room. Everything after that has had nothing to do with Team Silent`s works, in the same way that the new Front Mission game is not really Front Mission. The series to watch right now is Forbidden Siren by Keiichiro Toyama, the original creator of Silent Hill. Forbidden Siren 2 is, IMHO, up there with Silent Hill 2 and Fatal Frame 2 as one of the most unique and haunting horror experiences out there.

Siren: Blood Curse? Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse?
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 01:45:10 PM »

Siren: Blood Curse? Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse?

I completely forgot about those games, sorry. ._.'

But my opinion about of those games is that Siren: Blood Curse was an interesting experiment and overall a good game, and I haven't played Fatal Frame 4 sadly. In any case, you guys make good points; And I'll probably I will be buying this new "Silent Hill" too.

But for now I'll just wait for a little more of info and trailers, because this has a lot potential. But I don't understand why Konami just make new IPs with the new games.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 09:15:39 PM »

Shattered Memories really was a good title though, so it's not like it's been descending into complete crap with each successive title.

But yeah, I'm interested in seeing how this one turns out in contrast to other titles recently.

I tried it and tried to have an open mind, because everyone seemed positive about it, but it just wasn't scary or interesting to me.

And I figured out the reveal about halfway through the game and hoped they weren't going to go with something that lame, but they did.

The SH series is becoming like the Shymalan movies.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 09:19:42 PM »

While I enjoyed it, I honestly can't argue at all about the fact it wasn't scary. Admittedly it's something of a plus, but then that's because I'm a wimp, SH2's about as scary as I can tolerate, and I only got through that because there was an interesting experience behind it.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 12:27:42 AM »

Silent Hill hasn't been scary since the first game.

The series ended for me when the team disbanded after finishing Silent Hill 4: The Room. Everything after that has had nothing to do with Team Silent`s works,

FYI: Team Silent disbanded after the FIRST game, technically speaking none of the games in the series besides the original were made by Team Silent, so if that's your problem with the later games you're already on the wrong track.

Silent Hill is still a fantastic series and I look forward to the newest game with bated breath.  If it's even half as fantastic in terms of atmosphere as Shattered Dreams it'll be fantastic.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 12:41:55 AM »

FYI: Team Silent disbanded after the FIRST game, technically speaking none of the games in the series besides the original were made by Team Silent, so if that's your problem with the later games you're already on the wrong track.

I already knew that... u mad?
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 08:06:29 AM »

Umm...what?  I wasn't even talking to you.  And I have no idea why you'd think that was an angry post.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 11:13:07 AM »

What's with the weird (and really cute) .gif thingy?

On-topic, I'll probably invest in the new SH regardless of my own skepticism. The last one I enjoyed was Silent Hill 3.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 07:05:11 PM »

I already knew that... u mad?

Don't worry about him - he just likes to prove how he's right 100% of the time about everything.

Honestly, the SH series is becoming the horror equivalent of the Sonic series. Every new title is more of an embarrassment.

Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 09:53:54 PM »

FYI: Team Silent disbanded after the FIRST game, technically speaking none of the games in the series besides the original were made by Team Silent

Not unless you consider Keiichiro Toyama alone to be Team Silent. The team completely and fully disbanded only after SH4 had been finished. Most of the key members like Masashi Tsuboyama, Hiroyuki Owaku, Masahiro Ito, Suguru Murakoshi and Kazuhide Nakazawa stuck until the very end.

so if that's your problem with the later games you're already on the wrong track.

It`s only one of the two main problems I have with the games. The other one is that a distinctly Japanese videogame series was handed to Western devs, thus completely loosing its Japanese flavor.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 10:30:17 PM »

Well, the series was, from day one, meant to be a replication of American horror.  There wasn't supposed to be much "Japanese flavor" to begin with.

I also can't really understand how the American devs have been failing.  Homecoming and Shattered Memories were fantastic horror games.  I'll admit that Origins was pretty shitty, but the other two were much more SH than SH4.  And every time I ask people why they didn't like Homecoming or Shattered Dreams, the only response is that "Well it wasn't made by Team Silent, so it's crap" or the occasional "It's not Japanese enough", neither of which are really adequate excuses.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: