Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 10:18:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329952 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Things you can’t bear in RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: Things you can’t bear in RPGs  (Read 35444 times)
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2006, 01:35:22 AM »

In general what are the most annoying elements you dislike in RPGs?

What kind of advices would you give to new developers - for instance Blossomsoft - to create better RPGs?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 04:11:13 PM by blackthirteen » Logged
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 02:25:54 AM »

Things I hate about RPGs:
    [*] Choppy, slow-paced battle system
    [*] 50 Hour special moves, involving catastrophic visuals
    [*] Silent protagonists
    [*] Angsty, emoish characters that want you to believe their problems are bigger than life itself
    [*] Swords that defy any logic whatsoever
    [/list]
    That's all I can think of at the moment. Moving right along..

I would like for new developers, like Blossomsoft, to make RPGs that have a setting or premise, that haven't been focused on before.
    Hidoshi
    RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
    View Profile WWW

Ignore
    « Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 03:11:29 AM »

Any puzzle that doesn't make sense to be there.

Like pushing creates around in an ancient temple. Who the hell put crates in a temple?

Also, I'm slightly tired of finding random treasure boxes in places. I mean... Find stuff in drawers and whatnot sure. But who the hell has a random treasure box in their houses?

Lame.
    Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
    View Profile

Ignore
    « Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 03:42:28 AM »

Slow moving, non skippable text - I don't want to have to sit through the game printing out one letter each second. I mean seriously, what's the point of not having text that comes up instantly? Is there actually anyone who reads that slowly?

* Mandatory, inane mini games - Hey, I love a good mini game just as much as the next guy, but don't force me to play them. I really hate it when a game throws in some stupid mini game that you can't avoid. Final Fantasy X did this with Blitzball and Star Ocean: Till The End of Time had that god-awful Hauler Beast thing.

[/list]
    LHX

View Profile

Ignore
    « Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 12:35:58 PM »

after that last thread before the boards went down
    i realized that the only thing that could really be bad about a rpg was the experience as a whole

there is no excuse for a rpg to feel
    1 - repetitive or going thru the motions
    2 - too difficult or complicated
    3 - too easy

random battles can suck ass
    BUT
    with the right battle system they can be great

bad plotlines can suck
    BUT
    with good comic relief the experience can be good

a game with obscure puzzles or tactics to defeat enemies can be annoying
    BUT
    this can be made up for with a good hint system or strategy guide

the most recent bad experience i had with a game was making a wrong choice
    and then having to go thru 45 minutes of random battles against repetitive enemies
    to pick up an item
    and then go thru those same 45 minutes of random battles to get back to the place i was at when i realized i made the wrong choice

that is the equivalent of watching water dry on the floor at room temperature

there is no excuse for bad entertainment these days

i call bluffs
    John
    Administrator

DeceptiJohn
    View Profile WWW Email
    « Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 12:45:20 PM »

Quote from: "LHX"
    3 - too easy

Who are you defining 'too difficult/complicated' and 'too easy' for?  I thought FFX was amazingly easy (even the 'dreaded' Seymour fight) and simple, but my ex-girlfriend thought it was a difficult and complex game.

Some people think Grandia III is pretty tough - I think it's simply uneven.

I'd like to see more variable difficulty games in regards to the encounters, myself.

-John

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
    Dyne

CronoDyne CronoDyne
    View Profile WWW

Ignore
    « Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 04:01:24 PM »

Not in any particular order...

1.)  Long, repetitive, pointless dungeons (i.e., the token Sewer Dungeon).
    2.)  Silent Protagonists.
    3.)  Naming main characters.
    4.)  Horrible voice acting.
    5.)  Follow up to number 4, voice acting when...voice...this...damn...slow...with...awkward...pauses....everywhere.

Of course there are more, but I guess they don't bother me too much if I can't think of them.

Currently Playing:

PS2
    - Tales of Legendia
    - Grandia III

PSP
    - Tales of Eternia

Waiting for...
    - Kingdom Hearts II
    - Suikoden V
    LHX

View Profile

Ignore
    « Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 04:18:05 PM »

Quote from: "KeeperX"
    Quote from: "LHX"
    3 - too easy

Who are you defining 'too difficult/complicated' and 'too easy' for?  I thought FFX was amazingly easy (even the 'dreaded' Seymour fight) and simple, but my ex-girlfriend thought it was a difficult and complex game.

Some people think Grandia III is pretty tough - I think it's simply uneven.

I'd like to see more variable difficulty games in regards to the encounters, myself.

-John

good point

i call bluffs
    Sketch
    Sam I Am
    Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
    « Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 05:40:56 PM »

Quote from: "Miho"
    [*] Silent protagonists

These piss me off more than anything. I know you are supposed to feel more emotionally attached to the character and all, but unless you have a strong cast of characters to back your muteness up, you might as well not have the character at all. Plus, having no voice always leads you to some incredibly awkward 1 on 1 cutscenes between you (the mute dude) and another character.

Unbalanced boss battles annoy me too. What I really mean, is the way you get completely destroyed by, lets say, one of the main villians, but the next time you fight them with only a few level ups in between, you are somehow able to miraculously beat them.

And it's been said before in the past thread, but instant death spells are damn annoying too.
    Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
    « Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 08:05:42 PM »

Things I dislike about RPGs:

- whiny teenage protagonists that are hopelessly clueless
    - poorly executed storylines
    - instant kill attacks
    - randomly generated dungeons/levels
    - overly long dungeons
    - boring npc conversation/town exploration
    - unskippable events
    - bad voice acting, even worst not being able to turn it off
    - no directions to next destination or event
    - backtracking through world map
    - high random encounter rate
    - shops that don't show enough info (ie. whether an armor is better than the one equipped)

I'm picky, I know.

Finished RPG Count: 90
    Testament

View Profile

Ignore
    « Reply #10 on: March 13, 2006, 08:42:45 PM »

I'm not too picky about things like random encounter rate, silent protagonists, long dungeons, lengthy combat, etc.

There are some things I absolutely hate though, such as...

* Exaggerated special effects (Example, Xenosaga Episode I).

* No option to turn off VA.

* Having a main character that speaks way too much.  I don't like being forced to play someone I don't like (I love the silent protagonist, but I do agree that there must be a good supporting cast in order for that to work).
    NOTE: This only applies to games were you indeed have a main character.

* Simplistic, boring combat.
    (Vague, I know)

* Competent writing in exchange for a "bigger" world.   This really only applies to CRPGs such as Morrowind.  You can give me miles and miles of game world but if the world is so boring and the characters are so one-dimensional...  I won't give a damn...
    Gorelab

View Profile

Ignore
    « Reply #11 on: March 13, 2006, 08:56:13 PM »

The one thing that really gets me with RPGs are when there are too many FMVs. Some are good, but it gets really bad with like Xenosaga and the later FFs where it seems just about everything has a movie.

The other thing that really annoys me are sudden shifts in difficulty. Bosses should be harder than normal enemies, but I really hate it when things go from really easy to super hard suddenly. It's okay if it gradually gets hard but if it's sudden I can't take it at all.

The silent protagnist thing is more conditional, I think it works in games where you have lots of choices like in Shin Megami Tensei: Nocture. The character is you, and you're picking his fate. I don't think it worked as well in Digital Devil Saga or Dragon Quest VIII because the character was more defined.
    demifiend

eqrunnerguy
    View Profile

Ignore
    « Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 01:58:08 AM »

Cute enemies.
    I say this having been bitchslapped not ten seconds ago by giant pink rabbits in Star Ocean: The Second Story (which is, quite possibly, the worst RPG I've ever played). Shin Megami Tensei, for example, manages to make even the smaller enemies creepy (Pretas) or disgusting (slimes, or oozes, look like slime and ooze).
    Something that relieves me? When a sequel triumphs hugely over it's predecessor (like Star Ocean 3 as opposed to Star Ocean 2).
    Pink rabbits, unstoppable enemies that kill you in four hits, hideous voice acting, horseshit battle system... this must be divine punishment for getting the true demon ending in Nocturne.

... You have created a demon of your heart's designs, fallen angel? Then doom shall set us apart... now and forevermore... -YHWH (?), Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Mass Effect (again!), Persona 3, Lost Odyssey
    RECENTLY COMPLETED: Mass Effect, The World Ends With You
    ANTICIPATING: Dragon Age, White Knight Chronicles, Wrath of the Lich King, Fallout 3
    QUEUED: Lost track!
    Hidoshi
    RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
    View Profile WWW

Ignore
    « Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 02:01:41 AM »

On the subject of enemies:

Any lack of variety in enemies. MMOs are the worst offenders in this regard. Nothing like fighting worms from level 1 until level 50. That's just atrociously sad. It's even the same damned worm model with new stats and a new name. God... So many things to complain about in FFXI.

ANYWAY.

Yeah. Shitty monster variety sucks.
    Murdoc

View Profile

Ignore
    « Reply #14 on: March 14, 2006, 04:36:14 AM »

I like it when there is a good mix between fighting and exploring. I personally like it when I can just take some time away from battles and just explore, take time to notice details, spend time running around towns, looking at stuff, doing sidequests within the town, or get some character/story development going.

I just hate it when you find  "hey look a new town! *heal* *upgrade weapons* *find where to go next* see ya!" towns. They can work in small doses, but when theres more than a couple in the game, I get tired of playing. I feel like i'm doing the same thing over and over, I like to break from the monotony every now and then.
    Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Print 
    « previous next »
    Jump to: