Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 11:31:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338675 Posts in 13864 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Things you can’t bear in RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: Things you can’t bear in RPGs  (Read 36972 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: September 21, 2006, 08:34:03 PM »

dasch- then avoid Thousand Arms like the plague.  The protagonist is a horny womanizer who dates all the girls in his party, has women in various towns he hooks up with, and the fanservicey humor is over the top.  

I liked Thousand Arms, though, because it was just so ridiculous.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: September 22, 2006, 05:45:08 AM »

ZE GRAND MASTER - Ah, maybe that's why I forgot about that.  I avoided using Quina whenever possible.  :P

daschrier: There seems to be quite a lot of JRPGs with at least one character who was hormones on feet.  They can be cool sometimes, and annoying at others.  A few that come to mind:

-Kyle (Lunar)
-Ronfar (Lunar 2)
-Just about every guy from Thousand Arms...except that one guy who was Gynephobic.
-Delsus (Atelier Iris)
-Poe (Atelier Iris 2)
-Zelos (Tales of Symphonia...and with no less than THREE titles related to that trait).
-Gallows (Wild Arms 3)
-Zidane (FFIX)
-Edgar (FFVI)
-Edge (FFIV)

That's about all I can think up at the moment.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: September 22, 2006, 11:15:08 AM »

Well, there's a difference between being a womanizer, like Zidane, and just making stupid 5th grade sex comments. Zidane fit the role and the game, but most of the time comments and such just seem out of place.
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: September 22, 2006, 06:31:16 PM »

Quote from: "Spoony Mage"
ZE GRAND MASTER - Ah, maybe that's why I forgot about that.  I avoided using Quina whenever possible.  :P

How about Freya and Steiner? They dissapear for a while and were severely underleveled when you meet up with them later.
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: September 24, 2006, 04:44:58 PM »

Quote from: "daschrier"
Well, there's a difference between being a womanizer, like Zidane, and just making stupid 5th grade sex comments. Zidane fit the role and the game, but most of the time comments and such just seem out of place.

Whereas Zelos is both...

Edit:
Quote from: "Merkava"
Quote from: "Spoony Mage"

ZE GRAND MASTER - Ah, maybe that's why I forgot about that. I avoided using Quina whenever possible. :P

How about Freya and Steiner? They dissapear for a while and were severely underleveled when you meet up with them later.
There are loads of games worse than FF 9 for characters disappearing for half the game and being underleveled. Like FF 7, where we all know what happened with Aeris... And Symphonia, where Sheena and Presea are at least 5 levels lower than everyone else for the rest of the game. And Rinoa in FF 8 is missing for all of disc 3. By comparison, Quina/Freya/Steiner's disappearance is quite mild...
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: September 24, 2006, 06:34:54 PM »

I was adding to the FF9 example. Also, are you saying Aeris rejoins your party? Or that the game makes sure Sheena and Presea are 5 levels lower no matter how you level? :P
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: September 25, 2006, 12:49:44 PM »

Back to the topic of minigames that suck, I can't think of a single one worse than the Asakusa Puzzle Boy from SMT:  Nocturne.  I'm currently on my 789547893453th attempt to play this game to completition (I like the game a lot, but can't seem to stick with it for some reason), and that stupid fucking game took me over an hour, even though I had a walkthrough in hand the whole time.

That shit is easily the most demonic aspect of the game. :P

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: September 25, 2006, 12:51:02 PM »

Didn't even know there was a minigame in nocturne...

Worst I can think of is the chocobo ballon crap in ffx!
Lovely

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: September 25, 2006, 08:26:29 PM »

YOU GOT SMACKED BY A RANDOM BIRD ON CRACK.

Yeah, good times that...  Almost like getting smacked by real birds!
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: September 29, 2006, 01:34:54 AM »

Since pretty much everything was covered, let me add two things I guess were not mentioned.
First of all, I hate when exploration is meaningless. Read, you find the weakest healing item in the last dungeon, among other absurds. I am playing Radiata Stories right now, and most often then not, boxes and chest are pretty useless.
But the worst offender is surely SH:Covenant. I remember I would upgrade my weapons and armours in a new city, then in the next dungeon I would find copies of those same weapons and armours. So stupid and frustrating.
Second point, some bad development choices that are frustrating for the player. The example I have in mind are those extremely tough boss battles, one of those epic confrontations of the RPGs of yore, which would take you 30 or even 60 minutes to complete, in which ending the fight with AT LEAST one character dead is a no brainer, only to find out the dead characters won't be receiving any experience points, and their lot of the sum isn't going be shared among your live characters. To someone neurotic like me that's terrible; that masochist thought demanding you to re battle the boss is just too painful.
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: September 29, 2006, 03:46:43 PM »

Quote from: "Merkava"
I was adding to the FF9 example. Also, are you saying Aeris rejoins your party? Or that the game makes sure Sheena and Presea are 5 levels lower no matter how you level? :P

No, the fact that Aeris doesn't rejoin your party is worse, and the Sheena and Presea thing is no worse than the Freya and Steiner thing you mentioned. In fact, just about every rpg has characters not in the party for a considerable length of time. Though I'm sure you, Merkava, will find a game where it doesn't happen...

Edit: I could go on for ages talking about things that piss me off in rpgs, and most of them apply to FF X. :P They're all things like power levelling, annoying protagonists, cliched evil characters, hour-long cutscenes, side-quests that aren't mentioned in-game, etc. And they're things that everybody hates...

Edit 2: the fact that most people think games like Zelda are rpgs. Call me pedantic, but I know people who've used such lame reasons as "you take on the role of Link" to convince me it is.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 29, 2006, 04:41:38 PM »

Quote from: "ZE GRAND MASTER"
Edit 2: the fact that most people think games like Zelda are rpgs. Call me pedantic, but I know people who've used such lame reasons as "you take on the role of Link" to convince me it is.

Some arguments make some sense, but most of the time people are really grasping at straws. Personally, I consider it being the father of action RPGs like Crystalis, Mana, and Ys, yet isn't one itself.

Edit: Actually, more specifically Ys V, VI, and those following that gameplay. I think the original Ys was out before Zelda, or at least at the same time. Plus that had completely different combat.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: September 29, 2006, 05:48:59 PM »

Hmmm... the secrets/sidequests that are so random/arcane that they're only there for the sole purpose of selling strategy guides is a good one, ZGM.  It doesn't necessarily piss me off or anything, but it's annoying in that it just feels like the companies are blatantly trying to rip me off.  

That's one thing I liked about Tales of Destiny.  Every single secret was mentioned somewhere in the game; you just had to read every bookshelf, statue, etc.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: September 30, 2006, 05:18:53 AM »

i hate hard rpg's but this may have more to do with my personality since im extremely stubborn(in ff7 i only gave cloud materia that increased his melee abilities) when i encounter something in an rpg that i find hard i very quickly get frustrated wich leads to anger then controllers being thrown at the wall.i also hate it when i have to alter my regular equipment just to beat a boss.

edit:the problem in ff9 is that freya and steiner are some of the most powerful characters. when i beat the game they were both oit damaging garnets summons. and i particularly liked freya because a friend once said i remeinded him of her O_o

ďNormal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.Ē
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: September 30, 2006, 10:46:47 AM »

"hate hard rpg's but this may have more to do with my personality since im extremely stubborn(in ff7 i only gave cloud materia that increased his melee abilities) when i encounter something in an rpg that i find hard i very quickly get frustrated wich leads to anger then controllers being thrown at the wall.i also hate it when i have to alter my regular equipment just to beat a boss."

I don't call that stubborness. More like weak nerves.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: