Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 09:08:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327211 Posts in 13394 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Things you can’t bear in RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Print
Author Topic: Things you can’t bear in RPGs  (Read 34780 times)
James8BitStar

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: September 30, 2006, 01:57:02 PM »

Ya know what I can't bear in RPGs?

Bears!

Bears are so stupid!  They should never be in RPGs!
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: September 30, 2006, 03:07:09 PM »

Some games have what it takes to try the patience of even the most skilled, patient, even-keeled RPG fans.  I'm sure anyone who's played Alundra or Landstalker has abused a controller or two.  

If certain aspects of the game are giving you trouble, you can always use a Gameshark or something.  But with puzzles, no amount of cheating will help you there.  

I'm not a fan of breakable weapons either.  Sure it's realistic and all that, but realism does not always translate into fun.  EDIT:  Look at ShenMue.  It prided itself on its immersive realism, but the game was boring as fuck most of the time (at least for me; I'm not a fan of hurry-up-and-wait.)

I approve of this nonsense!
Murdoc

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: September 30, 2006, 03:24:08 PM »

Quote from: "Bogatyr"
"hate hard rpg's but this may have more to do with my personality since im extremely stubborn(in ff7 i only gave cloud materia that increased his melee abilities) when i encounter something in an rpg that i find hard i very quickly get frustrated wich leads to anger then controllers being thrown at the wall.i also hate it when i have to alter my regular equipment just to beat a boss."

I don't call that stubborness. More like weak nerves.

Wow. You've got some great people skills there.

Anyway, I really hate when games have more than 8 playable characters. It just frustrates me into not wanting to play the game, there's almost no character development and I always feel like i'm missing out by not developing (what little there is to develop) characters not in my party.

Quote from: "Dincrest"
I'm not a fan of breakable weapons either.  Sure it's realistic and all that, but realism does not always translate into fun.

For sure, I remember one of those Final Fantasy games for the Game Boy had that. I leveled up and bought the best equipment, only to have it break 30 minutes later. What a horrible thing to put in a game.
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: September 30, 2006, 03:43:38 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Quote from: "ZE GRAND MASTER"
Edit 2: the fact that most people think games like Zelda are rpgs. Call me pedantic, but I know people who've used such lame reasons as "you take on the role of Link" to convince me it is.

Some arguments make some sense, but most of the time people are really grasping at straws. Personally, I consider it being the father of action RPGs like Crystalis, Mana, and Ys, yet isn't one itself.

Hmmm. Maybe Ys and Crystalis (though I've never played either), but I wouldn't say Mana. Having played Seiken Densetsu 1 (well, Sword of Mana) and 2, I'd say they're completely different from Zelda. True, the Mana games have the same basic elements as Zelda, but that's where the similarity ends in my opinion - for instance, Mana games have more of a story than "find the seven sages to defeat the great evil". I like to think that Secret of Mana is what Zelda would be if it actually was an rpg.

Edit: As for what Dincrest and Bogatyr said about breakable weapons, I think it depends on the type of game. In Fire Emblem it makes sense because it adds to the strategic element of the game, but in Final Fantasy its just annoying. And with Forgotten Realms PC games it wouldn't make sense if that wasn't the case.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 30, 2006, 05:12:27 PM »

Actually, FFA and SoM does use similar item based methods of opening pathes and reaching new areas, IE use an axe to cut down trees or a whip to cross chasms. Heck, FFA has a square, grid based overworld like Zelda, so I'm pretty sure they used Zelda for 'inspiration' on that one. But I was referring primarily to the combat/movement, as they're the biggest similarity action RPGs like those have with Zelda, and I think most had at least initially modeled their combat after them.
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: October 01, 2006, 12:46:03 PM »

Regarding the FF games from the game boy, I wouldn't complain about breakable weapons in a game that can trap you in a dungeon if you don't have the needed tool to advance.
Gladly games hardly do that anymore.
Murdoc

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: October 01, 2006, 01:45:35 PM »

Regarding the FF games from the game boy, I wouldn't complain about breakable weapons in a game that can trap you in a dungeon if you don't have the needed tool to advance.

You actually got that far? I immediately went back to the used games store to sell it back after about 30 minutes.
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: October 01, 2006, 03:32:29 PM »

Quote from: "Murdoc"

You actually got that far? I immediately went back to the used games store to sell it back after about 30 minutes.

Actually, my friend owned both the gameboy and the cartridge. It's a pity, I was enjoying the game, but obviously I never even considered starting anew. It has been a while though, I think this was maybe 6/7 years ago.
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: October 04, 2006, 04:10:32 PM »

At least in games like WA3 the item needed was never "used", and was obtained within the area where it was needed. It isn't just action rpgs that were influenced by Zelda...
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: October 04, 2006, 04:26:26 PM »

I finally thought of something that irks me:  not being able to see if there is a + or - change when purchasing equipment.  Thank god most games do this and have it color coded to help you.  But for the ones that didn't I remember having to exit the store and check to see the stats on what I had already.  Freaking annoying.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: October 04, 2006, 05:09:25 PM »

Quote from: "CluelessWonder"
I finally thought of something that irks me:  not being able to see if there is a + or - change when purchasing equipment.  Thank god most games do this and have it color coded to help you.  But for the ones that didn't I remember having to exit the store and check to see the stats on what I had already.  Freaking annoying.

Agreed.

Just to make it clear, when I say trapped I mean you can't even exit from the dungeon, and you got to re start the whole game again.
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: December 22, 2013, 04:09:52 PM »

I'm the one who started that thread (nearly a decade ago!!), and as an indie rpg developer I'm still interested to read more replies since more rpgs were released since back then.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 04:12:05 PM by blackthirteen » Logged
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: December 22, 2013, 04:38:41 PM »

I think nowadays with the traditional RPG going more realtime/action-based, a BIG pet peeve is dumb AI on companion characters.  FF12's gambit system was fantastic in that it let me specifically tweak the AI actions of my companions so they'd always do what *I* wanted them to do.  Babysitting characters is not fun. 

I approve of this nonsense!
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: December 22, 2013, 05:29:28 PM »

Holy thread necromancies Batman!

Right now, I'm not too sure. My time playing RPGs have been cut back generally speaking and recent stuff like Xenoblade did a lot to address some of my long standing grievances with the genre. Honestly, this generation hasn't been nearly as bad as the last generation was about RPGs. Of course we're not getting as many as before due to developers going toes up or fleeing to mobile devices/browser games, and even big devs like Squeenix have really fallen behind, especially in regards to Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.

I guess I could always say that there needs to be fewer CCG based RPGs since they're not really RPGs.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: December 22, 2013, 06:21:24 PM »

It is a completely personal gripe, as there are plenty of quality titles that utilize the mechanic, but I can't stand when I don't get to move around in real-time. The more movement is restricted to a menu-select-style the more quickly I become bored.

Most of my major gripes have already been covered here though.

In particular and most recently...

I finally thought of something that irks me:  not being able to see if there is a + or - change when purchasing equipment.  Thank god most games do this and have it color coded to help you.  But for the ones that didn't I remember having to exit the store and check to see the stats on what I had already.  Freaking annoying.

But my number 1 single biggest problem with some games.... and yes I KNOW this an inappropriate cop out answer to the topic.... but NOTHING bums me out more than when a stellar game I KNOW I will love is a hand-held exclusive. The most recent Y's and Bravely Default immediately come to mind.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 06:29:20 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: