Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 08:50:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329226 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Things you can’t bear in RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: Things you can’t bear in RPGs  (Read 35308 times)
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2006, 11:03:58 AM »

One of the things that bugs me the most is long and mazy final dungeons with lots of sub-bosses, then a final boss that has many forms. There's nothing worse than having the end game momentum destroyed by an annoying final dungeon, especially if you have to level up. Most of the time I just stop the game because I stop caring about it.

Code:
Wild arms 3
probably had the worst final boss sequence ever, followed by
Code:
Skies of arcadia
Rindu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2006, 01:24:21 PM »

Probably the level grind.  I hate getting to a certain boss in the game, then realising that I need to spend some time doing nothing but fighting battles in order to level up.  It ruins the flow of the story and the game.

Scree

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2006, 02:40:59 PM »

- the main character or bulk or characters bring under the age of 20
- male characters that look like girls
- when disney is part of it in anyway shape or form
- being stuck on a linear path that allows no time for playing around just moving forward in the story

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2006, 02:43:56 PM »

Alfina.

And stupid women like her and their lack of usefullness except for healing.

FUCK STUPID WOMEN IN RPGs! GIVE THE MAIN CHARACTER HEALING, AND A HUGE FUCKING SWORD AND I'LL BE HAPPY.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2006, 10:04:51 PM »

The fact that almost every main character in any rpg is white. Come on where's the diversity?

Only non white main I can think of at the moment is Hugo from Suikoden 3.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2006, 10:21:57 PM »

Hugo was, like, the only white Karayan.

On that note, I can't bear actual bears. I fucking HATE those goddamn shagbeasts.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2006, 10:27:53 PM »

I dunno... he looks pretty brown to me.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2006, 10:41:22 PM »

With how most anime is, who's to say half of those leads aren't actually 'asian'? :P
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2006, 10:41:50 PM »

It was only in Paladin's Quest and Skies of Arcadia that this bothered me, but whatever.  In Paladin's Quest, the color scheme for the graphics was such that it really hurt my eyes after playing for mere minutes.  In Skies of Arcadia, the strobe effects for the special attacks made my eyes go funny and made me feel slightly dizzy.  Granted, yes, in SoA you could skip the animation by pressing start, but sometimes I didn't press it quickly enough.  Not convenient.  

I don't like it when video games cause me physical discomfort.  

Another thing I didn't like in Skies of Arcadia was that the camera was very herky-jerky during battles and made me feel seasick.  In contrast, games like Grandia 2 had very smooth panning cameras during battle and I had no issues playing that game.  

FF7 was a notorious culprit in this one particular niggle, and Nocturne did this in a couple of places too.  I didn't like those segments where the camera was panned so far away from the prerendered backdrop that the player character icon was tiny, like the size of an ant.  Were it not for the pointer thingie and the exit markers, FF7 would have been an exercise in navigatory frustration.  

Various other issues mentioned, I can probably deal with, but the eyestrain and dizziness issues in Paladin's Quest and Skies of Arcadia are ones that are complete showstoppers for me, as well as herky jerky camera work; smooth panning please.

Reading: TBD

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Tridius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2006, 07:11:40 AM »

For me it's...

Sidequests that are totally pointless unless it's worth it in the long run.

Shops that have better weapons 5 minutes as soon as you buy the previous weapon.

Skills that are totally useless in game.

Certain Status ailements that are inefective against bosses.

And one of my complaints is....
Code:
Breath of fire 3 Desert of Death that was a really difficult to get out of.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2006, 10:22:40 AM »

Trid- I think it's a universal truth that in any video game, RPG or otherwise, the desert is always the most annoying dungeon/stage.  For me the worst desert had to be the one in Stupid Invaders.  Every screen looked exactly the same and you had to do them in a certain order to get to where you needed to go, or you'd die.  And there were NO HINTS for navigation as far as I could find.  I had to use a FAQ for it and I have no clue how the FAQ writer figured it out.

Reading: TBD

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
nckd

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2006, 07:17:36 PM »

Things I can't stand:

Slow, hard to control, or otherwise frustrating transportation that you're forced to use, either for a minigame or worse, the whole game -- see Suikoden IV and that damn ship.

Cackling, literally cackling, villians.  

I second Alfina, and the whole category of useless female healers.  Surely they can at least be useful for something else, or have a  personality or something.  Really, having
Code:
the hero's love interest be a horse the whole game, like DQVIII, is preferable.

Inconvenient save points, or only being able to save one place in the entire world.  (Radiata Stories got traded in pretty quick.)

Endless cut-scenes -- I can rent bad anime for $3 at blockbuster, I don't want to spend $30 for a game that's essentially the same thing.
Gorelab

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2006, 07:23:04 PM »

Quote from: "nckd"
I second Alfina, and the whole category of useless female healers.  Surely they can at least be useful for something else, or have a  personality or something.  Really, having
Code:
the hero's love interest be a horse the whole game, like DQVIII, is preferable.

Actually, that's something else I can't stand. I can't stand the sterotypical weak healer love intrest. I mean, sure once in a while fine. But it happens way too often. I really liked Legendia but argh. Shirley made me want to hit something.
zain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2006, 07:27:03 PM »

- whiny teenage protagonists that are hopelessly clueless

This doesn't have to be a bad thing if dome right. Most Tales games have protagonists like this (Stahn, Reid, Kyle, Lloyd, Luke) but they're not clueless in EVERY scene, rather it's used from time to time as comic relief.
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2006, 10:40:03 PM »

- whiny teenage protagonists that are hopelessly clueless

heh would you play a RPG if the main character was a fat aunt? :P
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: