Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 09:25:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340926 Posts in 13933 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Things you can’t bear in RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 Print
Author Topic: Things you can’t bear in RPGs  (Read 37235 times)
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: December 23, 2013, 03:45:57 AM »

I think nowadays with the traditional RPG going more realtime/action-based, a BIG pet peeve is dumb AI on companion characters.  FF12's gambit system was fantastic in that it let me specifically tweak the AI actions of my companions so they'd always do what *I* wanted them to do.  Babysitting characters is not fun.  

I'm one of the rare people who greatly enjoyed FF12, and as you said the AI actions of the party following the main character made the game flow very smoothly. It's too bad there weren't more rpgs following this example, I thought it was going to become the new standard (unless Square-Enix patented their system like they did for the Active Turn Based System?)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 03:54:27 AM by blackthirteen » Logged
mrchoppy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: December 29, 2013, 02:12:01 PM »

High encounter rates that you cant modify.

Generic fantasy story involving crystals or some other mystical nonsense with no good characters.

Lack of save points causing you to repeat huge sections of the game when you screw up.   I just dont have the time (or the patience!) that i used to have, so try to design the game so that even if i fail at something i dont have to waste loads of time repeating massive sections.

real time battle systems that are too fast...
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: December 29, 2013, 03:10:31 PM »

The armour on most female melee characters really bothers me. I don't mind mage characters as much as they won't be fighting on the front lines but a lot of the melee armour makes no sense to me at all. I'm sure the question of how it protects them has been raised before so I won't expand on it. One thing that always confuses me is that when they are properly armoured in something like plate, it is designed with the shape of the breasts on it. I don't know a lot about actual armour but it seems off. Always thought that male and female armour should look basically the same. I can see chain mail being okay but plate mail just seems ridiculous. Basically I want more of Brienne of Tarth and Agrias and less... well basically any female character from Soul Calibur.

Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: December 29, 2013, 04:30:44 PM »

Boob plate armor can kill you!
http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/05/boob-plate-armor-would-kill-you
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: December 29, 2013, 05:07:39 PM »

What if you had a fantasy setting with a deeply misogynistic military commander that provided his female soldiers with boob plate armor entirely for that point?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: December 29, 2013, 06:22:30 PM »

Gentlemen. Don't forget that the most important aspect of boob armor are the nipple spikes.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: December 29, 2013, 06:51:56 PM »

What if you had armor that was nothing but nipples or a game where literally everything was nipples even the menu.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: December 29, 2013, 07:13:51 PM »

What if you had armor that was nothing but nipples or a game where literally everything was nipples even the menu.

Then I'd say that you got nippled and dimed. Dohohoh!

But getting back on track a bit, one thing I can't stand is inventory limits (unless its specifically limiting the amount of healing you can fall back on in battle like the earlier Ys games). I don't want to have to keep shuffling equipment and key items around to make room for the latest stuffs.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: December 29, 2013, 07:51:57 PM »

I'm too lazy to check, but one thing I'm noticing is that in some modern RPGs, there aren't subtitles or text boxes during animated voiced cutscene cinematics.  Sometimes the audio isn't mixed well and I can't hear the voices.  Sometimes I have to play a game at a reduced volume for whatever reason and I can't hear the words.    I want to be able to read what the characters are saying too. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: December 29, 2013, 08:11:29 PM »

I'm too lazy to check, but one thing I'm noticing is that in some modern RPGs, there aren't subtitles or text boxes during animated voiced cutscene cinematics.  Sometimes the audio isn't mixed well and I can't hear the voices.  Sometimes I have to play a game at a reduced volume for whatever reason and I can't hear the words.    I want to be able to read what the characters are saying too. 

On that note--and this is more a problem I have with games in general, though it's certainly more noticeable in RPG's where the balance is so important--I hate that in this day and age there are still games without individual volume controls in the game settings. I had to stop replaying Star Ocean 3 because I just can't deal with how much quieter the voices are than the music.
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: December 29, 2013, 08:20:11 PM »

Bear puns
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: December 29, 2013, 08:25:06 PM »

Bear puns

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: December 29, 2013, 09:02:52 PM »

As a general pet peeve for games (not just RPGs), I hate the following formula.

Long cut scene.

Cut to game play. Take three steps, press a button.

Long cut scene.

Just do one long scene uninterrupted. Breaking it up for stuff like that is ridonkulous.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: December 30, 2013, 12:32:46 AM »

Long cut scenes don't bother me... but games that auto skip them when you press 'Start' make me crazy. Sitting through 15 minutes of unskippable intro story, press 2 buttons, then another video that skips when I try to pause for a second so I have to restart totally and watch the first video over or miss that bit of story forever? Hate.
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: December 30, 2013, 03:45:44 AM »

Even worst, sometimes I want to pause the subtitles to read them at my own pace, but the screen is either blurred or turned to black.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: