Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 06:28:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329967 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Things you can’t bear in RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Print
Author Topic: Things you can’t bear in RPGs  (Read 35455 times)
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: December 30, 2013, 10:47:25 AM »

off the top of my head...

Status effects that take forever to wear off...seriously I am going to "stunned" forever unless I have an un-stun potion...

Needing an advanced math degree to decipher the slight nuances in weapon/armor capabilities...

Not being able to fast travel and having to backtrack back and forth through the same area many, many times...

Puzzles in areas with a high enemy encounter rate, let me think for a minute dammit...

Instant KO...

Everything's Eventual
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: December 30, 2013, 10:56:47 AM »

off the top of my head...

Status effects that take forever to wear off...seriously I am going to "stunned" forever unless I have an un-stun potion...

Needing an advanced math degree to decipher the slight nuances in weapon/armor capabilities...

Not being able to fast travel and having to backtrack back and forth through the same area many, many times...

Puzzles in areas with a high enemy encounter rate, let me think for a minute dammit...

Instant KO...

What, so Dark Souls?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: December 30, 2013, 09:47:29 PM »

The worst case for me was Beyond the Beyond. In Lufia 2 it was pretty cool, we could stun the enemies.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: December 31, 2013, 01:28:38 AM »

The worst case for me was Beyond the Beyond. In Lufia 2 it was pretty cool, we could stun the enemies.

That, and that you had onscreen encounters while in dungeons/puzzle rooms, so you were never really under a threat of a random encounter breaking up the room unless you either got careless and/or lazy about clearing it ahead of time.

And actually, BtB had exactly one dungeon where random encounters were turned off while dealing with the dungeon's gimmick (dragging moai heads around with you through a maze, in the dark, with no way to boost vision range; even Dragon Quest 1 had something to boost vision range in the dark), which is only a small mercy since you were a) two dungeons in from the last town/heal, b) on your way to the game's first legitimate boss fight, c) in one of the most obnoxious dungeons outside of the game's attempt at replicating Dragon Quest 2's infamous Road to Rhone, and d) still hauling Samson's useless fucking ass around since he was still cursed (even though he's probably at the level he was at originally before he got cursed by the plot by this point). The one legitimate mercy is that by this point in the game certain swift for the region enemies were sporting spells that could one shot your entire party at this point and were usually coming in groups of two to five among other assholes.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: December 31, 2013, 02:47:06 AM »

I'm trying to think of a traditional RPG that had puzzles I actually liked, and nothing's really coming to mind. It's not a genre that leads itself to reasonable puzzle design I guess?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 02:55:09 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: December 31, 2013, 08:18:33 AM »

The talk of random encounters during puzzles just reminded me of one game I played a while ago which occasionally had jumping puzzles (or maybe it was just platforming) where you could get random encounters mid jump, resulting in you falling to the ground afterwards and having to restart. I can't remember for the life of me what the game was though.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: December 31, 2013, 08:34:46 AM »

I cant stand the beginning 5 hour crawl of most RPG's... There a few notable exceptions where it doesnt happen(Ys games, final fantasy VII, Chrono series, cant think of any other examples right now there are probably others)

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: December 31, 2013, 09:14:57 AM »

I cant stand the beginning 5 hour crawl of most RPG's... There a few notable exceptions where it doesnt happen(Ys games, final fantasy VII, Chrono series, cant think of any other examples right now there are probably others)

I think my issue is at the other end. I have trouble with the final dungeon in a lot of RPGs. It is like they all try to make it obvious to the player that this is the final dungeon but it just makes them all feel the same. It is almost like if you have seen one final dungeon in an RPG, you have seen them all.

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: December 31, 2013, 09:54:49 AM »

My problem with final dungeons are that a) they're occasionally stuffed behind the dreaded point of no return and b) are stupidly long and drawn out.

The talk of random encounters during puzzles just reminded me of one game I played a while ago which occasionally had jumping puzzles (or maybe it was just platforming) where you could get random encounters mid jump, resulting in you falling to the ground afterwards and having to restart. I can't remember for the life of me what the game was though.

Xenogears and its Tower of Babel.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: December 31, 2013, 10:14:42 AM »

I liked the final dungeon in FF8. It had mini-bosses, a unique challenge in having your shit locked, cool design.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
pg.shadowrunner
The Spooniest Bard You Will Ever Meet.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: January 01, 2014, 04:15:19 PM »

With the exception of the Dragon Quest installments they worked on, I've never found Level 5's RPGs to be particularly enjoyable. I'm not sure if it's the weak writing, boring combat systems, or higher emphasis on synthesis/alchemy, but I just can't get into them.

Those would be some of my general pet peeves with RPGs, as well.

I did not pass through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a witless worm.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: January 01, 2014, 07:11:03 PM »

Funny, I find a heavy focus on crafting and/or upgrading equipment a huge plus in my RPG's.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: January 01, 2014, 07:34:38 PM »

Combat basics added 10 hours into gameplay. I hate it when you get a new ability or mechanic in an rpg that becomes a massive part of the game. Infinite undiscovery for example, with that rain thing like halfway through the game that becomes a huge hindrance when ignored. I can't name many others thankfully atm, but stuff like that drives me batty.

TASTY!
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: January 01, 2014, 08:23:39 PM »

With the exception of the Dragon Quest installments they worked on, I've never found Level 5's RPGs to be particularly enjoyable. I'm not sure if it's the weak writing, boring combat systems, or higher emphasis on synthesis/alchemy, but I just can't get into them.

Finally! A kindred spirit.

Funny, I find a heavy focus on crafting and/or upgrading equipment a huge plus in my RPG's.

I prefer it when it doesn't turn into DQIX's post game.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: January 02, 2014, 10:21:33 PM »

Finally! A kindred spirit.

Count me in there as well.  I don't think Level-5 has done much that's very impressive, and when they do they're good to milk it (I def think Layton is a great series).  I think it'd be great to see a modern take on Dark Cloud, DC2 was pretty good and had a ton of great ideas.

Anyways.  Some of mine.

= Why the punishment?  If I want to or NEED to run from battle, please, just let it fucking happen (I only do it for two important reasons; (1) Because I'm about to die and don't want to lose my progress or (2) Because of my next point...)

= Random battles against foes way, way, way, way too fucking weak.  I love that Xenoblade "gets" that you're going to kill a monster because you're 40 levels higher than it... the creature smells the blood on your blade and stays the fuck away and saves you the needless time wasting.

= Whatever the developers think a good walking/running speed for your character needs to automatically be cranked up AT LEAST 15%.  I saw a video where they did that for FF14 and it was beautiful. 

= Redundant menus.  Skyward Sword, what the fuck.  Pokemon, yeah I know I levelled up, and I know that a skill will be lost forever if I ditch it, you don't have to ask me if SUPER-SURE that I want to get rid of it because I've been told of this risk the LAST HUNDRED TIME YOU ASKED. >:(

= Lack of puzzles.  Have you noticed how shitty dungeons have been the previous gen compared to the RPGs on the GC and PS2 and before then?  Literally, there's like dick-all to do in dungeons these days.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: