Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 03:13:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327761 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Journey - thatgamecompany's new title
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Journey - thatgamecompany's new title  (Read 12591 times)
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2010, 08:44:33 PM »

Without more information, I really can't get too excited. The concept sounds cool and all, but there has to be a bit more than just, Whoa big desert. If there are no enemies and no overall plot, the game better bring a lot of other things to the table in big doses.
I'm talking about collectibles, intriguing and varied puzzles, awesome landmarks, and customization (Maybe different style of robes or hats, maybe even costumes). For me, I don't support developers that think they can get lazy because they have a unique concept or game.

Journey sounds like its going to bring the immersion, which I'm always a fan of. So, I'll wait before I get super happy about something that has virtually no information..
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 02:03:10 AM »

I'm talking about collectibles, intriguing and varied puzzles, awesome landmarks, and customization (Maybe different style of robes or hats, maybe even costumes).

I don't think this game is for you.

PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 11:33:07 AM »

I'm talking about collectibles, intriguing and varied puzzles, awesome landmarks, and customization (Maybe different style of robes or hats, maybe even costumes).

ROFL

As for the topic at hand, Flower is IMO the best game to be released in the last few years. Flow was great too. There is no way I'm not getting this game. Even if all the reviews tank I will buy it to find out myself.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 01:22:33 PM »

I'm very excited for Journey. I love the sparsity of the landscape seen in the screenshots, and I love the character design for the protagonist. I'm also really intrigued by its concept as a multiplayer game and I want to see how it works out. Not being a fan of MMOs like WoW I'm glad it won't be just another, if atypical, MMO.

Also, I agree on the comment about Flower, PotRoast. Except for maybe Valkyria Chronicles, Flower is the best game I've played so far this generation of consoles.
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 02:07:03 AM »

Yeah, sorry for wanting more than just wandering around a fictional desert with a vague multiplayer mode attached. I'll stick to playing my crappy games that offer actual content.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 04:42:39 AM »

Wow man, we know next to nothing about the gameplay yet.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 01:30:29 PM »

I can understand Danku's retort, though. Kevadu's comment to him was really out of place and brash, and I believe Danku's responding to that more than anything about the game. Kevadu had no reason to suspect that Danku won't like the game, yet he told him he wouldn't anyway. If someone did that to me, I'd be pissed too.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 09:11:04 PM »

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2010, 11:19:56 PM »

I can understand Danku's retort, though. Kevadu's comment to him was really out of place and brash, and I believe Danku's responding to that more than anything about the game. Kevadu had no reason to suspect that Danku won't like the game, yet he told him he wouldn't anyway. If someone did that to me, I'd be pissed too.

Seriously?  I don't think I even said anything offensive.  Not all games are right for all people and Danku seems to completely miss the point of the game.  I suppose a change of heart is always possible but I think I gave the perfect response to somebody who is wishing this game was something that it was never intended to be.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2010, 02:00:12 PM »

I probably should let Danku defend himself, but I will point out these quotes:

The concept sounds cool and all, but there has to be a bit more than just, Whoa big desert. [...]

So, I'll wait before I get super happy about something that has virtually no information..

When I read Danku's post, I didn't take it as an ultimatum of "If you don't include BLANK thank I'm not going to like it." Simply, there needs to be something more than just the exposition we've been given. And I have to agree, even though there's an air of mystery and intrigue surrounding this title, we really know hardly anything about what the gameplay actually entails. I can't imagine it just being a bunch of directionless meandering with nothing else to do.  And probably neither did Danku when he wrote this. We're just wanting more information, that's all. Currently, their marketing department is doing a shitty job trying to sell this game to the public. It's not that they need to promise cliche action elements that we've all played 100 times before, but they need to give us SOME idea of what we're going to be doing while we're out alone in the wasteland. Other than that, and it becomes just some bullshit postmodern exposition on what it means to be on a journey, which is far too simplistic, IMO, to warrant spending much money on.

Look, I'm excited about this title, but I have yet enough info to actually buy it, and I have to agree with Danku that we just need some more info, and you're "I don't think this game is for you" retort was premature, and a bit insulting, maybe to me as well, since I have some of the same concerns. Just saying.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2010, 04:19:12 PM »

I actually agree with Kevadu.

Prime, I think you're taking this a bit too seriously.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2010, 05:51:27 PM »

Seriously?  I don't think I even said anything offensive.  Not all games are right for all people and Danku seems to completely miss the point of the game.  I suppose a change of heart is always possible but I think I gave the perfect response to somebody who is wishing this game was something that it was never intended to be.
There is no information about the actual gameplay. Is there a story? Is there more to just wandering around? Apparently the game has no enemies and no main plot besides get to the big beam of light in the distance. So I say, I'm hoping for clever puzzles and interesting landmarks, and maybe some collectibles. And you reply with this game isn't for me?

Nothing I said was an outrageous suggestion. "I'm talking about collectibles, intriguing and varied puzzles, awesome landmarks, and customization (Maybe different style of robes or hats, maybe even costumes). " Does this not seem like fair suggestions for a game that is apparently offering no enemies, actual gameplay, or plot?

So please enlighten me on who exactly this game is for and what it is going to offer. Because as far as I can tell, this game offers nothing besides wandering in a desert. But hey, I'm only looking at this from a logical perspective.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2010, 06:47:30 PM »

i like this thread
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2010, 03:11:30 AM »

I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite topic on the RPGFan board.

Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2010, 05:38:10 AM »

I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite topic on the RPGFan board.
lol
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: