Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 08:14:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319310 Posts in 13037 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales studio facing financial problems?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Tales studio facing financial problems?  (Read 4352 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2010, 04:43:24 PM »

why namco bandai is ignoring most of them and going for dragon ball, naruto, cooking mama, etc?

Namco Bandai doesn't publish Cooking Mama anywhere.
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2010, 05:11:05 PM »

why namco bandai is ignoring most of them and going for dragon ball, naruto, cooking mama, etc?

Namco Bandai doesn't publish Cooking Mama anywhere.

Yeah sorry lol, is just that they released a cooking game recently and i just call it cooking mama, since they are most probably using its fame to sell this one xD i remmeber they had it on a while in the main's page;
I just checked, is called cook or be cooked o_o http://www.cookorbecooked.com/#/home anyway i wanted to focus more on the dragon ball and naruto, there was also a cheering game though...

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2010, 09:00:55 PM »

This is what namco bandai gets for not localizing so many potentially good tales of games, also re-releasing tales of graces must had been hard, again, this is what they get for rushing up to release it for christmas
This is one of the dumbest reasons I can see anyone think of. Traditionally, Tales games have sold abysmally in the States (with the one exception being Symphonia, because Gamecube had next to no RPGs at the time of release). I'd actually be surprised if they ever made any significant profit at all; I'd say they probably lose money from selling Tales games in the west. Fans like you constantly bitch and moan that Tales games never come over here but when one does they don't buy it - or they pirate them. They have nobody to blame but themselvs.
No, they didnt sell "abysmally" as you said, the only ones that sold badly were the portable ones, and if you say i "pirate" games and bitch about this just because one post, then i see why your little mind think they sold "abysmally", if i say this is because i buy them and also because i enjoy tales of games, why namco bandai is ignoring most of them and going for dragon ball, naruto, cooking mama, etc? is obviously because these mainstream games are easily sold to the masses, making them to win more money, easier than taking risk just to please a fan base, and i think this is totally wrong, for example thanks to Atlus always bringing the SMT series, ive always try to get any other game they release so i can support them, but now the only games i buy from Namco Bandai are the Naruto games, and just because i like Naruto.
I didn't say you specifically, I was talking about Tales fans in general, who are some of the whiniest, most self-entitled people I have ever seen. Also, they have sold abysmally. Tales of the Abyss didn't even hit 100,000 copies in the US IIRC. Horrible.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 01:24:41 AM by Leyviur » Logged

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 12:54:15 AM »

It should also be noted that ToS was localized by Nintendo rather than getting the usual abortion that the US branch of Namdaiprestco usually regurgitates on to store shelves.

Besides, not having to funnel time, effort, and money into the Tales of ZXAdvent means mo' money and mo' honey for SCV.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2010, 01:00:46 AM »

Quote from: WildArms
but now the only games i buy from Namco Bandai are the Naruto games, and just because i like Naruto.

"believe it!"

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 10:53:09 AM »

I'm surprised the Tales machine isn't raking it in honestly. Kind of mixed feelings. Case in point..

Also, they have sold abysmally. Tales of the Abyss didn't even hit 100,000 copies in the US IIRC. Horrible.

Not so coincidentally Tales of Legendia was the game to come out before Abyss. When abyss came out, I didn't buy it. Legendia was horrible and, while I knew it had flaws unique to itself(Particularly post game), the game actually made me feel bad about ever liking the series in the first place. After a few months and hearing people say good things about abyss along with finding out legendia was done by a 'B team' I reluctantly gave it a chance. And I enjoyed myself.

So it's actually satisfying to hear that they shot themselves in the foot by releasing trash instead of being rewarded. But I don't want to see them go under. I want them to fire the B team, stop flooding the market and put out a good tales games every few years.

Edit-Also, /carusoshades for saying tales of abyss sales were abysmal.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 10:56:21 AM by Raze » Logged
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 11:31:21 AM »

Or good games heh heh heh..

That can be said for a lot of companies..

Yes, but that can be said in particular for Tales games.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2010, 02:57:45 PM »

I've never understood the appeal of this franchise.
omanga42

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2010, 03:00:54 PM »

I dont think its the franchise people like in particular but the fact that they are rpgs.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2010, 03:01:16 PM »

Never understood the appeal of Dragon Quest; but that doesn't seem to stop it from ALWAYS hitting number one on sales charts. ...what a shitty ass series.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
omanga42

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2010, 04:21:45 PM »

Turn based series are great. I am looking forward to dq ix next month. And hopefully VI beyond
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2010, 05:29:34 PM »

Never understood the appeal of Dragon Quest; but that doesn't seem to stop it from ALWAYS hitting number one on sales charts. ...what a shitty ass series.

I second that! Repetitive, repetitive, repetitive ...

About tales, well I've only played Vesperia to the end and liked it. After I went out to play Abyss and it is fun but somehow I felt like "I've been there, done that".
It seems that by having to teams milking the franchise is actually killing it instead of making it more profitable (like they probably intended). Think of the Call of Duty series, after COD2 they are just spamming sequels one after the other, but the difference is that COD is selling like 20 millions units and Tales was never that popular to begin with. (Not like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest)

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2010, 10:37:02 PM »

I played DQ IV for the first time on the DS, and it was fun, and had an interesting story.

Tales games, on the other hand, have never had an interesting story.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2010, 10:41:15 PM »

Tales games were never really about story; they were about the dynamic and relationship between the (sometimes vastly different) character personalities. Tales of the Abyss had some comedy gold.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2010, 10:47:10 PM »

I played DQ IV for the first time on the DS, and it was fun, and had an interesting story.

Tales games, on the other hand, have never had an interesting story.

I'd argue that.  

The characters are interesting and diverse.  The story takes you on your classical RPG fare around the world, there's a crap load of extras and greater challenges, the stories have gotten somewhat political as well (saving the "end of the world" schemes for later on, handling the "politics" first), and the characters are usually given backstories that can be loved even if you didn't love the character.  I don't really wanna say more; that's my two cents, and even with a rebuttle - I hate exposing bias unless I state "IM GUHNA BEE BYE-ASS!!"

But, I can always put story aside, say whenthe gameplay plays out better.  I like the real-time action of Tales' games too.  Thank god.  Personally, I feel that unless turn-base offers some innovation, it's become quite a bore.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: