Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 07:50:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327917 Posts in 13426 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Was there anything interesting to come out of this E3?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Was there anything interesting to come out of this E3?  (Read 6150 times)
Thebluick

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 20, 2010, 06:15:18 PM »

So I have been trying to pay close attention to this E3, but so far it has been a huge snoozer.  The only RPGs that were announced were for handhelds.  I guess they announced a new Zelda, but that isn't my cup of tea as an ARPG, not a true JRPG.  Can someone actually tell me something coming out in 2010-2011 for me to actually look forward to.  I have a 360, wii, and PS3 and I doubt I'll be turning them on other than to replay something at this point...
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 06:25:18 PM »

If you're only going to focus on one genre like that then yeah, it's going to be boring. The broader your tastes are the more amazing this E3 potentially was. That, and JRPG news is going to come more at TGS than E3, there's localization announcements to look forward to but even then they'll announce a lot of stuff over the course of the year and not have anything new to show for E3.
Thebluick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 06:30:58 PM »

yeah, unfortunately I'm pretty much only interested in console JRPGs these days... 
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 06:38:36 PM »

Well there are some im looking forward to, and they werent mentioned in the E3, but were mentioned in other ways, for example Natsume is bringing Rune Factory 3 and Lufia, i want to get DQ9 too, and Etrian Odessy 3, for wii, even if the voice acting sucks, im looking forward to Arc Rise Fantasia, also Xenoblade but this one looks farther than any other, umm and for ps3, im waiting for the announcement of Ar tonelico 3 :D!!! and i also want to get Trinity Universe and Atelier Rorona, woa these are all from NISA, and well of course for PSP persona 3 portable >8D,there is still  Aksys, who havent announced anything, they might announce a rpg...

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
omanga42

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 08:16:16 PM »

ar tonelico III and neptune for the ps3 will probably be shown off at NISA's july conference. ff 13 versus is still coming eventually. Agarest 2 and WKC 2 are in production..........alot is happening for the ps3 (ug)

Unfortunately E3 is usually a bore because the best games are in japan.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 10:17:29 PM »

Just get a handheld.  If you want JRPG's that are actually from Japan, you need to get one because otherwise all you're getting is Last Story.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 10:28:55 PM »

Even there it's kind of slimming down, or at least we seem to be missing more than we did a few years ago. Though, the Wii will probably get Xenoblade too depending on whether or not NoA was waiting to see how it performed in Japan before making a decision on localization.

If playing on a TV's the concern, then at least get a PSP if you have an HDTV or EDTV. You'll get 3 Ys games (technically 4, but I&II are sold together and don't really stand up well when separated), the 3 Legend of Heroes VI: Trails in the Sky games, and a few games like Hexyz Force and Crimson Gem Saga that are fairly solid. Admittedly Ys is an action RPG series, but it tips over to indisputable RPG territory unlike Zelda, and depending on what you want out of an RPG may well satisfy.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 10:34:01 PM by Eusis » Logged
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 11:30:48 PM »

yeah, unfortunately I'm pretty much only interested in console JRPGs these days... 

You picked the wrong era to be gaming lol
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 12:54:41 AM »

Quote from: WildArms
and i also want to get Trinity Universe

NOOOOOOOO
you really had to mention that too?

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 12:55:59 AM »

3DS and what may be the single greatest launch lineup EVAR!

/thread.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
fates

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 01:03:19 AM »

Yeah 3DS has some promising potential titles.

DQ9, and the Ys series showed up too! But I couldn't find much Ys coverage outside of this site's article.

FF Gaiden as well, looking forward to that.

Dragon Quest VI, I was hoping to see honestly. But I realized they wouldn't put two Dragon Quest games side by side at the same event. The series has enough trouble selling as is.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 01:10:03 AM »

DQVI I expect early next year unless IX tanks. Heck, even then they may've just wanted the distance, though we'd have poor luck with DQ from that point onward I'd suspect.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 01:15:36 AM »

Just Birth by Sleep and Ys.

Portal 2 was my Game of E3.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 04:54:26 AM »

Honestly... right here... right now, jRPGs are kinda dead. Once in a while, a good one bites you in the butt, but it's been a while since I felt like, "wow, there's all these great jRPGs coming out", I think it was the tail-end of the PS2, around 2006: DQVIII, Suikoden V, Tales of the Abyss, Okami, Final Fantasy XII. Since then, I've played a lot of great games, but they haven't been jRPGs. I've really had to expand my horizons, and I'm glad I did. I now love action/adventure games as much as RPGs, and I've played a number of great wRPGs: both ME games and Fallout 3. The DS really made me fall in love with point & click adventures in a new way, and I've been having a blast.

There's nothing wrong with jRPGs at all. But currently, there's really noone doing anything really interesting, or interesting in a way that at least *I* find enjoyable. Yeah, ATLUS makes incredible games, but for some reason, I find them boring because they've chosen to not concentrate on the adventure/journey side of the genre, which is kind of central to me. This year has been amazing for me, but not because of RPGs really, though I did enjoy FF13.

My advice to anyone who's moping about not having any good jRPGs these days... try some games in neighboring genres: adventures, point&clicks, strategy games (if you're into that sorta thing). You'll be happy you did. I usually don't like wRPGs, but a lot of the developers are starting to realize that (like jRPGs) character and story are really important, and are developing their games in whole new ways. They're still suck on the whole "choose your own adventure" being a central aspect, but they'll eventually realize they're wasting their time. In the mean time, though, they've got some great dialog, story, and gameplay. ME2 and Fallout 3 really knocked my socks off. Can't wait for New Vegas. Similarly, Assassins Creed II and Alan Wake (on the adventure side) really kicked my butt.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 06:34:15 AM »

Quote from: WildArms
and i also want to get Trinity Universe

NOOOOOOOO
you really had to mention that too?

Why not o.o?, in my opinion is not bad, and it has disgaea characters >:D

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ