Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 04:44:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327564 Posts in 13411 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Xenoblade + The Last Story
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27 Print
Author Topic: Xenoblade + The Last Story  (Read 38190 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 21, 2010, 08:30:36 AM »

Do you think these RPGs will be localized? I'm dying to play both of them. Mistwalker has made some of my favorite games this generation, and who wouldn't want another Monolith Software game?

With the Tale Studio in trouble, the state of Japanese RPGs in the west is kind of a worrisome subject.
omanga42

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 08:38:15 AM »

Xenoblade probably will be localized as monado in the west by NOA. I would put a localiization at about 50 percent chance.

The last story probably wont be... because if NOA doesnt do it no one will.  30 percent chance.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 09:09:36 AM »

Last Story will be eaten up by somebody.  If NOA doesn't grab it, it's exactly the kind of game XSeed or Atlus would grab in a heartbeat.
omanga42

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 09:43:33 AM »

Its far too early to discuss last story and localization in the same sentence..... Xenoblade is the game we should be discussing and be worried about.
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 12:41:38 PM »

Xenoblade seems to be doing great in japan's charts, got 1st place in sellings this week, im sure it will catch some developer's eye

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 03:31:44 PM »

Last Story will be eaten up by somebody.  If NOA doesn't grab it, it's exactly the kind of game XSeed or Atlus would grab in a heartbeat.

No they won't, because if Nintendo doesn't localize a game themselves they won't let anyone else have a shot with a few, rare examples from YEARS ago. However, being pessimistic about Last Story now doesn't seem smart given how it's not even out in Japan yet, and most likely that would be localized unless it's a complete disaster. It's a high profile Hironobu Sakaguchi title, and more promising looking than Blue Dragon or Lost Odyssey, I'd be surprised if Nintendo seriously just passes over it.
omanga42

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 03:48:07 PM »

^ Agreed......The last story is awhile off....

The title we should be worried about is xenoblade
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 04:16:52 PM »

Wait, I thought Last Story was just a Mistwalker title, I didn't think nintendo had anything to do with it.  Are they funding it like Microsoft did with Lost Odyssey?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 04:21:28 PM »

Wait, I thought Last Story was just a Mistwalker title, I didn't think nintendo had anything to do with it.  Are they funding it like Microsoft did with Lost Odyssey?

Since they're publishing it they must be covering at least some of the costs. Also, Wikipedia lists Nintendo/Mistwalker for the copyright, hinting at co-development, and now that I think about it Mistwalker is ALWAYS a co-developer, so this seems to imply Nintendo themselves is developing the game under Mistwalker's creative direction.
omanga42

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 04:24:43 PM »

Its a co development meaning mistwalker is actually making the game while nintendo is doing marketing in japan, kinda like the dq ix deal with square.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 05:02:29 PM »

Think about every prior Mistwalker game, they ALWAYS needed another studio to do the actual game making, such as Artoon and FeelPlus. I haven't heard of any such company for Last Story, so unless Mistwalker hired a lot more people it seems Nintendo themselves is producing the game.
omanga42

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »

Well in everything ive read it reads developed by mistwalker and published by nintendo.
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 05:05:45 PM »

Nintendo publishing a "hardcore" 3rd party title in japan = kiss of death for western release.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 05:08:03 PM »

Something seriously needs to change there in regards to Nintendo. Open up licensing to other companies, going to other translation companies to get the games translated rather than having Treehouse do all of it (they DID do this for Glory of Heracles actually...), at this point they're raking up more and more of these games that probably have a solid audience here, but they're an audience NoA has been leaving to the 3rd parties to cater to.
omanga42

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 05:16:10 PM »

Xseed is doing something revolutionary and they are using fan translations as the base for ys 3 and ys 1+2 chronicles. This way they can push them out quicker. In the case of Y's 3 its being released only 1 quarter after Ys seven.

Nintendo will always be nintendo... we just have to hope they do the right thing and localize Monado/Xenoblade
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 05:24:38 PM by omanga42 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: