Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 06:58:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327567 Posts in 13411 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Xenoblade + The Last Story
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27 Print
Author Topic: Xenoblade + The Last Story  (Read 38192 times)
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: June 08, 2011, 01:45:28 PM »

For some reason I think that we didn't lose anything of value here, but yeah, it's kinda disappointing I guess.

I mean, JRPGs... eh.

That's what I think for games like Fatal Frame IV that turn out to be buggy as hell, or games that end up receiving limp importer/reviewer reception like ASH. This isn't one of those, having received exceedingly positive importer impressions and high user scores in Japan. By all accounts it's the real deal this time, something that'd actually be remembered by most past this generation.

... That, and it really does sound like what JRPGs need. Something refreshing from the gameplay angle rather than being another shallow DQ/FF clone.

Hell the videos I've seen of it on Youtube show some really fucking awesomeness off. Just navigating alone, the party is running along this ledge overlooking this huge and beautiful lagoon way the hell down below. In any other game you're stuck walking along that narrow path until it's conclusion, lagoon or not. In this, all you gotta do is jump.

I dare anyone to name another instance like that in any other RPG that isn't also a cutscene event only.

I just realized. The reason Nintendo might be using is that the previous Wii RPGs didn't sell very well. Of course there were, what, two? Tales of Symphonia 2 which wasn't really that good, and Arc Rise Fantasia which had a rather bad translation and almost no advertising whatsoever. Of course, Namco Bandai seems to have the same opinion regarding the sales of Tales of Symphonia 2, so it may have rubbed off.

This might almost hold up if Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon didn't do too well and justified not bringing over Heroes of Light and Shadow, instead of doing well enough like it did.

There's seriously no good reason why these games shouldn't be localized (unless it involves localization issues like absurd demands, way too much text, cost of distribution, a localizers' strike, ect).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: June 08, 2011, 06:17:26 PM »

i dont know if shadow dragon was like this but heroes of light and shadow has absolutely no english text in it. even when naming your my unit you cant use Romanji. theres a fan translation project but i dont know how advanced it is.

if anyone is interested
http://fe12ds.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 06:24:52 PM by Alisha » Logged

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: June 08, 2011, 08:27:42 PM »

Too much text isn't even a good excuse now since XSEED is translating the Trails in the Sky trilogy. They have an absolutely tiny localization team and they've managed to translate one of the most text heavy jRPGs that has come out in Japan.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: June 08, 2011, 09:42:17 PM »

Maybe. We ARE getting at least one concession out of this though....

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/06/07/surprise-dragon-quest-monsters-joker-2-will-travel-to-the-u-s-this-august/

Better than nothing I guess.

No seriously guys, WHAT THE CHRIST!?!

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: June 08, 2011, 10:11:52 PM »

I would really like to punch Reggie in the face.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: June 09, 2011, 07:11:34 PM »

I'd prefer we give everyone at NOA a boot to the head.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: June 10, 2011, 04:24:21 AM »

As an European gamer and fan of RPGs, I think this is absolutely hilarious. Yay for karma!
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: June 10, 2011, 04:33:58 AM »

As an European gamer and fan of RPGs, I think this is absolutely hilarious. Yay for karma!

And the worst part is that I can't even say FFVI anymore. You fucks got it on the VC months ago and we're stuck with either the slow and crashy as hell PSX version or the washed out/horribly tinny GBA port (although thankfully we DO have something to tide us over in Chrono Trigger from a few weeks ago).

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: June 10, 2011, 04:41:46 AM »

Don't worry, our troubles will return once Atlus starts pumping out awesome 3DS RPGs. Stupid regionlock.
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: June 10, 2011, 04:44:10 AM »

Don't worry, our troubles will return once Atlus starts pumping out awesome 3DS RPGs. Stupid regionlock.

I thought Atlus was good about these kinds of things. I'm still hurt that The Last Story and Xenoblade aren't coming to the US. I will hate Reggie Fils-Aime for the rest of the day. Then I'll go to bed and forget about it for a few hours then hate Reggie again. Then I'll be sad.

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: June 10, 2011, 04:56:42 AM »

Atlus is a great publisher with some amazing titles but, and this is a big but, there is no Atlus Europe. Some of games translated by Atlus USA (read: the Persona games that did wel in the US) may be picked up by Square Enix, Ghostlight, Koei or Rising Star, but that's it.

Aksys? Xseed? Same story.
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: June 10, 2011, 11:58:56 AM »

Atlus is a great publisher with some amazing titles but, and this is a big but, there is no Atlus Europe. Some of games translated by Atlus USA (read: the Persona games that did wel in the US) may be picked up by Square Enix, Ghostlight, Koei or Rising Star, but that's it.

Aksys? Xseed? Same story.

Oh my god, I never realized how horrible it was over there. I'm so sorry. If you'd like, you can borrow Xenosaga Episode 1. I'll just take the Wii RPGs with me...

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: June 10, 2011, 01:31:07 PM »

It hasn't been too bad so far. You just have to find ways to work around the regionlocks. When I was your age, I was playing import RPG's like Xenogears and Chrono Cross on my *ahum* slightly modified PlayStation. It feels like you're playing something really special when the game comes from another continent. I've got two PlayStation 2's, one is American, the other one European. Gameboy, DS, PS3 and PSP? No region locks, so yay!

Things get tricky when there are only two or three imports you want but there's no decent bootdisc available for the system they're on. That means you either have to do some (illiegal) soft or hardmodding, or buy a second system.

Anyway, you're lucky Xenoblade and The Last Story are Wii games. The price of the Wii is diving towards €100, so a used system shouldn't be too expensive to import.
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: June 10, 2011, 01:39:59 PM »

Just because Xenoblade and The Last Story wasn't announced at E3, doesn't mean it's not coming to the States.  These games needed to be showcased at the conference so it would get more publicity but Nintendo was more concerned with the 3DS and Wii U.  I would say if nothing is announced by the Fall, we may be doomed at getting them.  I'm enjoying both the soundtracks though currently.

Currently Playing-Re-visiting Wii and Xbox 360 games (finish backlog)
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: June 10, 2011, 08:40:39 PM »

We don't laugh at Europe when they don't get games. Fuck you.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: