Author Topic: Xenoblade + The Last Story

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
Re: Xenoblade + The Last Story
« Reply #285 on: June 29, 2011, 01:56:37 AM »
I can't throw money at a game that is probably worth getting or don't look interesting nor fun. But that's just me.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 29, 2011, 02:00:25 AM »
Wait, we (Europeans that is) are actually getting this before NA? What the? Someone in Japan must have gotten the wrong map. Either that or this game is terrible, since we usually get screwed out of the better titles (with a few notable exceptions, lets hope this is one of them).

It's great, isn't it ^_^ If Operation Rainfall fails, our 'haha, we got these games and you don't'-list will have doubled in length! Only a hundred or so RPG's to go before we're even :D

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 29, 2011, 02:05:16 AM »
Wait, we (Europeans that is) are actually getting this before NA? What the? Someone in Japan must have gotten the wrong map. Either that or this game is terrible, since we usually get screwed out of the better titles (with a few notable exceptions, lets hope this is one of them).

It's great, isn't it ^_^ If Operation Rainfall fails, our 'haha, we got these games and you don't'-list will have doubled in length! Only a hundred or so RPG's to go before we're even :D

I'd really rather Europe started getting games roughly as reliably as we do (or did), but I can't really get TOO upset since it's still out there in English. Hell, as long as import shipping takes less than 2 weeks I can probably get Xenoblade in time for my birthday!

Certainly I'm not going to be an asshole who says things like "I'll only be happy if Nintendo releases it here or cancels it in Europe", half because of your awful luck and half because holy shit it's out in English.

Jonathan Ingram

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 29, 2011, 09:05:49 AM »

I don`t have any concrete data, but I think many of the niche Japanese titles sell better in Europe now. So, it`s not so rare anymore to see a Japanese game being released in Europe and not the US. Like how we got Siren 2 and the Blu-ray release of Siren: Blood Curse and the US never did(presumably because the original Siren sold way better in Europe). In the case of Xenoblade and The Last Story it`s probably NoA just being assholes though. The European divisions of Sony and Nintendo are generally much cooler than their American counterparts. SCEE, for instance, never imposed harsh restrictions on 2D games unlike SCEA. As a result, we got stuff like stand-alone releases of Metal Slug 3-5 and Samurai Spirits, while in the US these games were allowed to come out only as part of compilations.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 29, 2011, 09:56:15 AM »
Yep, and Square Enix took a liking to us as well. Lots of fancy editions for the price of a regular one. Well, of course those only exist to convince people to buy games as soon as possible, but I'm not going to complain about getting nice stuff for free. It works for them, it works for us, everyone's happy.

Anyway, having to import a game isn't so bad. It kinda makes it extra special if you have to put in some effort to get it.

GrimReality

• Dark Lord of Nostalgia
  • OK, options aren't SO bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 29, 2011, 10:45:31 AM »
But my NA Wii can't play games released in Europe. Right? We can't just import Xenoblade when it comes out over there, right? I thought it was region-locked.
Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: The Backyard Parables

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 29, 2011, 11:37:12 AM »
But my NA Wii can't play games released in Europe. Right? We can't just import Xenoblade when it comes out over there, right? I thought it was region-locked.

It is, but regarding the Wii's internal security, this means absolutely nothing to anyone with an SD Card, access to the internet, and a free afternoon.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 29, 2011, 01:14:27 PM »
I really don't get region locking. What are they afraid of, that more people might buy their game? OH NO! Not money!
Seriously though, I guess it probably has some crazy (or not) explanation, but until I hear a good reason for this I'm assuming it's something irrational and stupid.
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 29, 2011, 01:46:58 PM »
I really don't get region locking. What are they afraid of, that more people might buy their game? OH NO! Not money!
Seriously though, I guess it probably has some crazy (or not) explanation, but until I hear a good reason for this I'm assuming it's something irrational and stupid.

The reason used to be a technological one (20+ years ago, PAL and NTSC weren't exactly compatible). Nowadays it's all about control. For instance, if you publish a game in Europe, you want Europeans to buy your version and not the one from the US. Sure, your version may be more expensive, because PAL games are more expensive in general and of course you took your sweet time bringing the  already fully translated) game over, but it's not like gamers have a choice, so who cares? You don't, because they'll be paying for your edition. Well, that isn't the nicest way to put it, but for companies like Nintendo (that are mentally stuck in 1992) that's pretty much the reason for region locks.

Sony handles it a lot better, what with the PS3 not being region locked and giving gamers the option to choose which PlayStation Store they want to shop from. They realize gamers won't import if you don't give them a good reason to. And if they do import some game that never made it to a certain continent, who cares as long as they paid for it? Plus, I'm sure they're glad they don't have to hear the 'I modded my system for imports' thing anymore. It makes fighting pirates just a tiny bit easier.

OkamiGeisha

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 29, 2011, 01:58:39 PM »
I've never given the two Baten Kaitos games a chance.  Whats everyone's opinions on both games?

I liked them a lot.  While it's not my first consideration in games, the graphic are amazing.  I disagree about the characters being bland.  Some come out of central casting but others are really creative.. like Mizuti from the first game: 

The biggest difference in the battle mechanics are that in the first game you have seperate decks of cards for each character, but in Origins they share a deck.  It's not a huge deal IMHO. 

The stories are rather mature and deal with some very adult themes.  Some of the sidequests are a true pain in the ass, and there's one concerning a school that I never figured out.     

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 29, 2011, 02:08:14 PM »
I'm starting to think that Nintendo is going to just string us along until next year, to try and get all the people saying they will import to hold out for an NA version, then announce they aren't bringing them over after it's too late to get ahold of the game overseas. It would not surprise me at all.
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

B.K.

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 29, 2011, 09:32:42 PM »
Nintendo finally released a statement on their Facebook:

"Thank you for your enthusiasm. We promised an update, so here it is. We never say 'never,' but we can confirm that there are no plans to bring these three games to the Americas at this time. Thanks so much for your passion, and for being such great fans!"

So much for Operation Rainfall. Not that it really had any chance of success to begin with. It was obvious Nintendo had already made up their mind.

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 29, 2011, 10:06:58 PM »
This thread makes me sad. ;_; We missed an awesome game, a really awesome game.

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 29, 2011, 10:38:21 PM »
Unfuckingbelievable. Well, I'll be importing these two games, but I certainly won't be buying anything else from Nintendo ever again. Cunts.
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

cj_iwakura

• Wayfarer of the Time
  • Counting The Sheep
    • View Profile
    • Iwakura Productions
« Reply #299 on: June 29, 2011, 10:58:59 PM »
That is quite possibly the most dickish response I have ever seen from a company.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past