Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 03:32:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341235 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Xenoblade + The Last Story
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 27 Print
Author Topic: Xenoblade + The Last Story  (Read 41532 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: July 01, 2011, 05:02:19 PM »

I know I sound like a broken record here, but what causes these big wigs to decide which games to release here.  I know they don't want to put alot of money into bringing over a game that may not sell well but on one side you got your "Cooking Mama's", "Just Dance 34", "Some Mii game that not too many people care about" and then on the other side you have games like Xenoblade, Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Disaster: Day of Crisis, etc. I think NoA will announce these games just they are waiting on the sales in Europe and they just can;t announce that they are bringing them over after Rainfall started, just give it some time.  You people going crazy over these three, are you the same people that have been waiting on Shenmue III like me for almost 10 years now?  If you are, then welcome to the show....

1) What causes it is idiocy. Nintendo are run by idiots. It's not clear whether it's NOA or NOJ, but Nintendo needs a house cleaning.

2) Shenmue 3 :(

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: July 01, 2011, 05:25:41 PM »

Yu Suzuki is leaving sega so that's another nail in the coffin. After everything he's done for this industry, reading his recent interviews makes me feel fucking miserable.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
SquarePenix

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: July 01, 2011, 05:45:50 PM »

Yu Suzuki is leaving sega so that's another nail in the coffin. After everything he's done for this industry, reading his recent interviews makes me feel fucking miserable.

Not that Sega has much interest in bringing RPGs here either...(grumbles...VC3...), though I guess part of that could be the platform...
Arhkaos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: July 01, 2011, 08:43:17 PM »

Just read on Club Nintendo's website (intend to buy section):

"We don't have anything for you to plan to buy right now, please check back later..."

Even Nintendo themselves admit it: it's all quiet on the Wii front!

I have fury!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 01, 2011, 09:45:22 PM »

1) What causes it is idiocy. Nintendo are run by idiots. It's not clear whether it's NOA or NOJ, but Nintendo needs a house cleaning.

Look, I know you've seen the logic point out here, the bad exchange rage, pressure to not let shares slip lower, etc. While it's possible some of the decision makers within Nintendo are being foolish it's more probable that they either made a straight up bad call or are under shareholder pressure, and the best way to remedy that one would be to buy their shares or just plain get enough you can call for meetings or at least have a significant say in the normal meetings... and I doubt most of the people who care enough can just leisurely do that. I can't necessarily defend the shareholders as being smart by the way.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: July 01, 2011, 11:28:38 PM »

A lot of companies end up with shareholders who have really odd opinions about the company. Apparently one of the most vocal shareholders at Nestle (the candy company) keeps trying to organize boycotts of the company.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 02, 2011, 12:11:55 AM »

A lot of companies end up with shareholders who have really odd opinions about the company. Apparently one of the most vocal shareholders at Nestle (the candy company) keeps trying to organize boycotts of the company.

God damn. I'm pretty sure the group that needs to be called stupid ARE the shareholders, Nintendo's just trying to roll with the punches best they can.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: July 02, 2011, 01:49:38 AM »

Look, I know you've seen the logic point out here, the bad exchange rage, pressure to not let shares slip lower, etc. While it's possible some of the decision makers within Nintendo are being foolish it's more probable that they either made a straight up bad call or are under shareholder pressure, and the best way to remedy that one would be to buy their shares or just plain get enough you can call for meetings

I've seen this theory and I flat out don't buy it. Shareholders are interested in money. The outcry for these games = money for Nintendo.

Nintendo still said no. If they were at the mercy of their shareholders, we would've gotten a reply within a day saying yes, due to Amazon pre-orders alone.

There's something beyond that.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 02, 2011, 02:13:42 AM »

The shareholders are also Japanese, and give more of a crap about economic success there. To them we probably look more like a liability now with our low prices and the poor dollar, and from all I've heard they can be VERY short sighted.

That, and just look at that story. He might be an outlier, but that doesn't give much confidence other NCL investors are that much better. Although if this outrage caught enough of their eyes then even they may be applying pressure to get these games out here.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: July 02, 2011, 03:06:54 AM »

While it's true that profits are down partly due to a less than strong dollar, but a profit is still a profit, even when burdened by exchange. No profit is no profit, it's as simple as that. So yeah...

Xenoblade isn't even a major investment at this point. There is already a translation and Operation Rainfall is free advertisement on a scale most companies could only dream of. Now would be the time to announce the game and get it out in time for the holidays. Before Skyward Sword, if possible.

I can only think of one reason not to do it. As a company, you don't always want to give in to customers' demands. Xenoblade is a fairly reasonable thing to ask for, but if they let Operation Rainfall be a success, more Operation Rainfalls will pop up and Nintendo will have to deal with them all. I don't think they're looking forward to that. Besides, Nintendo is old-fashioned and stubborn, even NOE. They publish games and we buy them like the good little customers we are. Skyward Sword is what's for dinner and just because the neighbour's kids are getting a fancy dessert called Xenoblade, doesn't mean you'll be getting some as well. Now shut up and finish your damn plate.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: July 02, 2011, 05:16:21 AM »

While it's true that profits are down partly due to a less than strong dollar, but a profit is still a profit, even when burdened by exchange. No profit is no profit, it's as simple as that. So yeah...

Xenoblade isn't even a major investment at this point. There is already a translation and Operation Rainfall is free advertisement on a scale most companies could only dream of. Now would be the time to announce the game and get it out in time for the holidays. Before Skyward Sword, if possible.

I can only think of one reason not to do it. As a company, you don't always want to give in to customers' demands. Xenoblade is a fairly reasonable thing to ask for, but if they let Operation Rainfall be a success, more Operation Rainfalls will pop up and Nintendo will have to deal with them all. I don't think they're looking forward to that. Besides, Nintendo is old-fashioned and stubborn, even NOE. They publish games and we buy them like the good little customers we are. Skyward Sword is what's for dinner and just because the neighbour's kids are getting a fancy dessert called Xenoblade, doesn't mean you'll be getting some as well. Now shut up and finish your damn plate.

You know what, on that note, I just might be tempted to not get Skyward Sword out of protest of Xenoblade, The Last Story, and FEDS3 not making it over. Which, given some of the details that have recently surfaced, seems less hard to do than I would have expected it to be. And I'd recommend it to anyone else feeling the burn of Nintendo's efforts of reconnecting to the hardcore gamer (it's would be a better use of your time, effort, & resources than Operation Rainfall turned out).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 02, 2011, 05:30:40 AM »

If Zelda sounds like it's not going to appeal to you in SS's direction? Great, if it makes you feel better. If it's the opposite however I really do think you're doing yourself more harm than good, the only kind of "boycott" I can see working, assuming you could actually get enough people on it, is avoiding any casual-ish fare that may interest you unless it ends up something like Fortune Street that IS, in fact, a game that's long been left in Japan and is only now being localized. More likely it'd work by getting people who might be interested in the casual stuff to go elsewhere, IE anyone wanting Mystery Case Files is pointed to the cheaper PC installments instead (assuming they haven't already cleared those), or getting people who want to play Mario Party to either stick with the aforementioned Fortune Street or a regular board game. Then you would, in theory, be starving them of the casual audience and thus they MUST cater to the hardcore.

More practically though? I think casual fare like that more likely helps subsidize games like Zelda, so it's really lose lose unless nothing else Nintendo puts out interests you AT ALL anymore. The only purchasing decision I can see having an overall positive effect is importing from Europe, increasing their sales, and thus indicating that stuff like this is successful enough that they really should be putting it out in North America too. I'm guessing this helped get us Demon's Souls, though Sony's looser to licensing and Atlus is more savvy on this stuff.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 05:32:25 AM by Eusis » Logged
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: July 02, 2011, 10:30:18 AM »

The only purchasing decision I can see having an overall positive effect is importing from Europe, increasing their sales, and thus indicating that stuff like this is successful enough that they really should be putting it out in North America too. I'm guessing this helped get us Demon's Souls, though Sony's looser to licensing and Atlus is more savvy on this stuff.

I agree completely. This Operation Rainfall "Be positive! Wait it out! We'll get these games someday" people are just kidding themselves.

Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: July 02, 2011, 05:03:27 PM »

If Wii didn't have region lock I would have imported with no issues attached.I already speak English,Spanish and can read French so I would have imported Xenoblade from one of at least 3 EU countries.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 02, 2011, 05:07:45 PM »

Import systems look to be pretty cheap, not much more than getting one locally and that's largely because of of tariffs/shipping more than inherently being more expensive.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 27 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: