Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 05:31:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334830 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Xenoblade + The Last Story
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 Print
Author Topic: Xenoblade + The Last Story  (Read 40138 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: July 02, 2011, 05:43:44 PM »

Saw some pics of it running on dolphin, looks hot.

Pandora's Tower was announced for Europe at the Japan Expo:

http://www.livewii.fr/news/159056-Pandora%27s_Tower_en_Europe_en_2012

So that's all 3 games confirmed for Europe, Xenoblade this year and TLS and PT for 2012.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 05:53:52 PM by CDFN » Logged

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: July 03, 2011, 04:44:41 AM »

Import systems look to be pretty cheap, not much more than getting one locally and that's largely because of of tariffs/shipping more than inherently being more expensive.

Yep, and now that Pandora's Tower was announced too, I'd say it may be worth it if you want to play Wii RPG's. Importing a console may seem scary, but it's really not such a big deal. The only thing you need to watch out for is the powersupply. You may need a converter. Well, of course there is also the other route... Anyway, there is no need to let region locks stop you.

BTW slightly related news: we're getting Tales of the Abyss on the 10th of November. So this is what it feels like to be an American RPGfan ^_^
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: July 03, 2011, 05:35:06 AM »

Import systems look to be pretty cheap, not much more than getting one locally and that's largely because of of tariffs/shipping more than inherently being more expensive.

no reasy to import a wii unless you arent tech savy

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: July 03, 2011, 03:19:31 PM »

Really don't see many people going down this route.  Why give more money to a company that people are already angry at?

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: July 03, 2011, 04:06:58 PM »

Technically, the money will come in through NOE. You're not mad at NOE, because NOE is publishing those games.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: July 03, 2011, 04:54:25 PM »

Really don't see many people going down this route.  Why give more money to a company that people are already angry at?

You're giving the money to NOE, without them you wouldn't even have the choice of playing these games in english.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: July 03, 2011, 09:06:36 PM »

im mad at nintendo period. just as mad as i am at sega.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: July 03, 2011, 09:27:24 PM »

Technically, the money will come in through NOE. You're not mad at NOE, because NOE is publishing those games.

hm, you are right.  I just figured it was nintendo as a whole =p

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: July 04, 2011, 01:29:54 AM »

I'd like to offer the opinion that maybe the game simply would NOT be all that profitable and that maybe NoA is well aware of this. As was said before, profit is profit, why can't we step back and say, maybe NoA did their market research and came to the conclusion that the game simply wouldn't be that profitable. As someone who is a fan of RPGs, I honestly have never heard of any of these games before this thread, nor did I hear about Project Rainfall before this thread. How well known is all of this information, and was the volume of preorders truly significant enough to turn a profit. I mean it's not even enough to say, "There already exists a translation" when the fact is we aren't even fully aware of the kinds of costs that would go into localizing a game. It seems silly to call Nintendo stupid when there is likely a reason. It just seems kind of silly. Especially since, as was said, an English translation does exist, so it can be imported and played for anyone who wants it that bad.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: July 04, 2011, 03:25:48 AM »

hm, you are right.  I just figured it was nintendo as a whole =p

It all goes to Nintendo in the end, yes, but if one branch does well, the other branch may get a firm talking to about its attitude. Not that some extra copies of Xenoblade and a handful of systems will have that much of an effect, but there is nothing wrong with idealism as long as no one gets hurt :D

As someone who is a fan of RPGs, I honestly have never heard of any of these games before this thread, nor did I hear about Project Rainfall before this thread.

I dunno, our magazine gave both Xenoblade and The Last Story plenty of attention. I think both have had two previews by now. Readers are looking forward to these games too. Especially Xenoblade. We also wrote about Operation Rainfall and other announcements related to these games on our website.

I mean it's not even enough to say, "There already exists a translation" when the fact is we aren't even fully aware of the kinds of costs that would go into localizing a game.

Uhm, yeah, NOE paying for most of the localization by providing the English translation. NOA may want to edit it to make it less British, but it's not as if they'd have to do the whole thing over. As for VA, if it sounds Britisch, they can just leave it the way it is and say it adds flavor.

It seems silly to call Nintendo stupid when there is likely a reason. It just seems kind of silly. Especially since, as was said, an English translation does exist, so it can be imported and played for anyone who wants it that bad.

Region locks. Only a small minority will import. Since one of the ways to play import is to mod your console, most will resort to pirating the game. It's not the kind of behaviour a company like NOA should want to promote, yet they do, indirectly...

Besides, there are still plenty of publishers that invest in RPG titles. Xseed is doing Solatorobo using NOE's translation. The DS has no region lock, the game should be fairly easy to import, yet Xseed thinks it will sell and they'll probably be right.
SquarePenix

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: July 04, 2011, 04:55:32 AM »

I'd like to offer the opinion that maybe the game simply would NOT be all that profitable and that maybe NoA is well aware of this. As was said before, profit is profit, why can't we step back and say, maybe NoA did their market research and came to the conclusion that the game simply wouldn't be that profitable. As someone who is a fan of RPGs, I honestly have never heard of any of these games before this thread, nor did I hear about Project Rainfall before this thread. How well known is all of this information, and was the volume of preorders truly significant enough to turn a profit. I mean it's not even enough to say, "There already exists a translation" when the fact is we aren't even fully aware of the kinds of costs that would go into localizing a game. It seems silly to call Nintendo stupid when there is likely a reason. It just seems kind of silly. Especially since, as was said, an English translation does exist, so it can be imported and played for anyone who wants it that bad.

While I'm certinaly thankful that we'll at least have a chance to play these all three games in a language we understand, it's still not the same as experience as a game game developed solely for one country.  Anyone team with a translator can put japanese into a literal english translation of the text.  What we miss out on is the culteral references, accents, and American style of dialogue.  The results are generally a watered down translation, which is rather bland and generic.  Euro games with five languages just don't usually seem to feel as well written as games where the sole dedicated market is North America.  Does anyone agree with that assessment?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 04:58:12 AM by SquarePenix » Logged
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #356 on: July 04, 2011, 05:21:55 AM »

Euro games with five languages just don't usually seem to feel as well written as games where the sole dedicated market is North America.  Does anyone agree with that assessment?

It depends on who does what translation. More often than not, European publishers use the English translations made for the US release. They may edit it a bit to remove typo's and other mistakes, but that's all. German, French and so on translations are often added as an afterthought, unless we're talking about some big title like Assassins Creed, Halo or whatever. How the translations turns out mostly depends on the budget and the people working on it. But hey, the same can be said about American translations. Compare Chaos Wars to, I dunno, Persona 4.

Nintendo is one of the few companies crazy/ambitious enough to do two English translations. Usually both are good and the differences aren't that noticeable. Some names may be different and there stuff like 'colour' vs 'color' but that's pretty much it.
Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: July 04, 2011, 06:15:22 AM »

what i want to know is how they came to the conclusion that they would be profitable in europe and not NA. it makes me think there is some external factor at play in america. part of me wants to blame the noah's arc level flood of shooters but is it really that simple? are shooters less popular in europe? or maybe its just supply and demand? maybe less games are released in europe so its easier for these games to stand out there? once while talking to a friend i compared shooters to an invasive species...perhaps i was more spot on than i realize.

Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #358 on: July 04, 2011, 10:07:29 AM »

The only game series with a major difference between translations that I've seen is the Professor Layton series. And that's because the person playing Luke is horrible at putting on a British accent.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #359 on: July 04, 2011, 10:50:29 AM »

what i want to know is how they came to the conclusion that they would be profitable in europe and not NA. it makes me think there is some external factor at play in america.

I honestly can't think of anything... Well the DS is dying fast because of R4 abuse, but that's unrelated. The PSP is doing (slightly) better in Europe than in de US, but that's unrelated too. Both regions would have a pretty empty releaseschedule without the Rainfall games. Are JRPG's doing better in Europe than US? Maybe, but I doubt the difference is huge enough to leave a release schedule nearly empty.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: